Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

another fork offset question… Giant Anthem 29er + Pike fork?

Hello

I'm going to try a pike dual position fork on my anthem 29er probably run at 130mm all the time so which offset do I go for?

Is the consensus generally for 51mm if you are going for a longer fork to speed up the handling??

Cheers

John

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just installed a 120-150 dual position Pike on my Anthem x 29er with the 46mm offset. From what I can gather from my LBS who sold me the bike, its what the OEM offset is with the original Fox fork.

just fantastic, quick steering, it handles amazing!! way better carver. I ride with a 80mm stem. I would not want the front wheel any farther out with a larger offset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Would the same apply to the trance x 29er?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not sure on the OEM offset of the Trance fork options. The anthem is 46mm. The Trance has a much slacker head angle. The Anthem 29er has a 71deg head, the trance has a 69.5deg head angle.

My anthem has responded well with the 150mm pike, 71deg head angle, 46mm offset fork. Handling is great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    the stock 46mm. You will find that the 150 mode is fantastic. I am in the 150 on all but the steepest techy climbs. This transforms the anthem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Probbably not. My anthem has a 70.5 deg head angle, the trance 29er is I think 69.5? Check to see what offset comes with the OEM Fork.

Quote Originally Posted by rotaholic View Post
    Would the same apply to the trance x 29er?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi guys!

Sorry to dive in, but really interested in this thread! I have a Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er and loved the reviews on the Pike, but thought it was a no no with this bike, as it's heavier and with a lot of travel. I'm looking for a better fork, as the 100mm Reba I currently use is not good enough.

What are your experiences with the Pike? What uses are you giving your anthems? Also, and sorry for the newbie question, what is all the offset about?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Pike is an amazing fork! I am using the dual 120-150 for my large anthem 29er. It has transformed the bike into a capable dual use all around bike. I spend most riding time in the 150 position, only dropping for very steep and or techie climbs. You will not notice a little more weight. Your wheels have more to do with that. What you will find is your ride times and enjoyment improving a lot, not to mention keeping the front tire on the ground and you off it. An 80mm stem was a key for the way my bike handles now. Go tubeless in front and ride at around 22lbs or so. I'm 170lbs. Stick with the 46mm offset option for it matches well with the OEM forks.

mtbr member

Percent change in trail between 46 and 51mm offset

I'm gonna say you won't notice ANY difference between 46 and 51mm in offset...

Est trail: radius of a 29er whee...14.5" x cos(HTA). Let's say your HTA is 68 degrees, that'll be ~5.4"

The difference between 51 and 46mm of offset...5mm * cos(90* - HTA) is 4.6mm

When you reconcile mm to inches, 4.6mm ~ 0.0183"

And, when you do a percentage of the difference to actual trail it's ~0.34%

If you can feel that, you're a friggin' GOD!

Edit: good chance it's less because I didn't account for the tire's height.

Edit edit...my bad, actually its 0.183" and the percentage is 3.4%. Still think you won't feel the difference.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo R View Post
    The Pike is an amazing fork! I am using the dual 120-150 for my large anthem 29er. It has transformed the bike into a capable dual use all around bike. I spend most riding time in the 150 position, only dropping for very steep and or techie climbs. You will not notice a little more weight. Your wheels have more to do with that. What you will find is your ride times and enjoyment improving a lot, not to mention keeping the front tire on the ground and you off it. An 80mm stem was a key for the way my bike handles now. Go tubeless in front and ride at around 22lbs or so. I'm 170lbs. Stick with the 46mm offset option for it matches well with the OEM forks.

Hi Steve! Thanks for your answer! Which stem do you use? Also, how do you change the offset in a bike? I don't know which offset i'm currently using..

Is this the one you recommend?

Rock Shox Pike RCT3 2P-Air 29 Inch QR15 Tapered Fork 2014 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Thanks in advance!

Fercho

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The front end of the bike does feel very high in 150 mode but it does flatten anything u hit, spend my first ride aiming at bigger and bigger rocks just to see what it will suck up. However 120 is perfect for of the trail centres I ride, it is a massive improvement from the fox forks that came off (were only 100g lighter). If you are riding tight single track with hairpins at 150 travel the steering feels too slow for me, I'm also running an 80 stem but might go shorter. Also may ditch my 40mm riser bars to keep the front end down. But all in all it's transformed the bike and now I'm easily keeping up with 26ers with more travel on the rough stuff, so go for it, just keep your old forks in the shed in case u need a warranty claim... I went for the standard 46 offset, can't imagine it makes much difference but quicker steering would be a bonus so maybe try 51 option

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jse001 View Post
    The front end of the bike does feel very high in 150 mode but it does flatten anything u hit, spend my first ride aiming at bigger and bigger rocks just to see what it will suck up. However 120 is perfect for of the trail centres I ride, it is a massive improvement from the fox forks that came off (were only 100g lighter). If you are riding tight single track with hairpins at 150 travel the steering feels too slow for me, I'm also running an 80 stem but might go shorter. Also may ditch my 40mm riser bars to keep the front end down. But all in all it's transformed the bike and now I'm easily keeping up with 26ers with more travel on the rough stuff, so go for it, just keep your old forks in the shed in case u need a warranty claim... I went for the standard 46 offset, can't imagine it makes much difference but quicker steering would be a bonus so maybe try 51 option
    Hi jse001! Thanks for your response. So basically you can choose either a 51 or 46 offset fork? Can you choose that option online? Or in order to change the offset you use some add ons? Sorry if this is a really newbie question.

What 80mm stem (model/brand) do you use?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, so answered my own question. You can purchase either a 51mm or 46mm offset forks.

Just read that if you go the 51mm route you might sacrifice some performance on the switchbacks.. any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A 150mm fork will significantly change the feel of that bike. Basically every 20mm you add to fork length you are slackening out the head angle about a degree, so your bike will go from a 71 HA to 68.5 HA. Not only are you significantly slacking out the HA you are also raising the bottom bracket and slackening the seat angle. The longest fork I would put on an Anthem is 120mm.

mtbr member

"not good enough..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fercho Vallese View Post
    Hi guys!

Sorry to dive in, but really interested in this thread! I have a Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er and loved the reviews on the Pike, but thought it was a no no with this bike, as it's heavier and with a lot of travel. I'm looking for a better fork, as the 100mm Reba I currently use is not good enough.

What are your experiences with the Pike? What uses are you giving your anthems? Also, and sorry for the newbie question, what is all the offset about?

Thanks in advance!
    I'd be interested why you & Reba can't get along
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another fork offset question… Giant Anthem 29er + Pike fork?-dsc01698.jpg  

2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm running a 150 pike on my large anthem. It handles great, way better than the OEM fork. I also ran a 120fox prior to my dual position pike which I quickly lower for only the steepest climbs. I went with the 46mm offset. I do not notice it being a tad heavier in weight. All my overall ride times have gotten quicker with this plush and capable fork. It is transforming, for the better.
    If your worried, get the 120-140 dual position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes, that's the one, I use an 80mm stem, your choice, and the Cane creek top end headset. I chose the 46mm offset when My LBS ordered it from its supplier.

Hi Steve! Thanks for your answer! Which stem do you use? Also, how do you change the offset in a bike? I don't know which offset i'm currently using..

Is this the one you recommend?

Rock Shox Pike RCT3 2P-Air 29 Inch QR15 Tapered Fork 2014 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Thanks in advance!

Fercho

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo R View Post
    I'm running a 150 pike on my large anthem. It handles great, way better than the OEM fork. I also ran a 120fox prior to my dual position pike which I quickly lower for only the steepest climbs. I went with the 46mm offset. I do not notice it being a tad heavier in weight. All my overall ride times have gotten quicker with this plush and capable fork. It is transforming, for the better.
    If your worried, get the 120-140 dual position.

Is there a 120-140mm model? Or you mean the 120-150mm model? The one I sent the link before?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    I'd be interested why you & Reba can't get along
    To be honest I might have been a bit harsh with my words! I do like the Reba, however I want to put that on another bike and upgrade the one on my anthem. I don't feel as confident when going downhill with only 100mm. I have tried one with 120mm and felt great when going down. I was looking at the pike because everyone is raving about it lately, and even thought I might not always use 150mm (except for some downhills), might always be great to have to option to switch to the extra travel.

Don't know, what do you think? Or should I just buy another Reba and save some cash?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

another fork offset question… Giant Anthem 29er + Pike fork?

I have read in other threads the dual position Pike isn't meant to be used in 120 mode except for climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

other than being 100mm...

To be honest I might have been a bit harsh with my words! I do like the Reba, however I want to put that on another bike and upgrade the one on my anthem. I don't feel as confident when going downhill with only 100mm. I have tried one with 120mm and felt great when going down. I was looking at the pike because everyone is raving about it lately, and even thought I might not always use 150mm (except for some downhills), might always be great to have to option to switch to the extra travel.

Don't know, what do you think? Or should I just buy another Reba and save some cash?
    what is wrong with the Reba?...if you are wanting what the Pike is offering, then I am sure it will be a good match for you. My Reba is on a XC bike and the application is way different, but works well for me and a bunch of other folk too good luck
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I meant the 110-140 version of 29er pike. They are set up with a 30mm difference in travel with the dual position adjuster.

Is there a 120-140mm model? Or you mean the 120-150mm model? The one I sent the link before?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have forgotten to switch my travel back to 150mm, and rode a bunch without any trouble. The suspension feels the same. I will say though, If I have taken some good hits, It will bottom out easier than in the 150. I know for my indicator ring is way slammed when I do so.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    I have read in other threads the dual position Pike isn't meant to be used in 120 mode except for climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I thought the same thing when I was planning on getting a new 150 pike. Running mostly at 120, then 150 for the downs. The anthem rides so good in the 150, I was shocked. Climbing, flats, trails, you name it. I have played a lot with lowering it to 120 while riding. You can feel right away the drop, and the affects it has. I find the 150 very good with maintaining momentum. I'll climb the steepest, and or rocky climbs in 120 mostly. The front wheel tracks very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Get the pike, there is also the 110-140 version for the 29ers. The 140 would also be very good. These forks resist brake dive on the DH, and seem to ride a bit higher in the travel. The smoothness is awsom. Set up right, one can just blow down rocky stuff, Like upper eldridge grade on tam. Not so on my OEM Fox.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast