OG MTBR USER
    Mar 2013

... and if we just ... Another air pump thread!

I've got big 2.3 tubless tires on my Stumpy FSR.

I haven't seen it mentioned here (at least that not that I can find), but it looks like the Topeak Turbo Morph G pump might be the best combination of high volume performance at an almost reasonable size. I like the gauge and hose too, I've ruined a few presta valves on doing trail repairs over the years, and I like knowing the PSI, so having an air line seems like a great idea. I can live without the gauge though.

Downside, it's a foot long and weighs half a pound, but that'll be in my pack, not mounted to the bike. The Specialized tires seat to the rim bead really well, but is refilling a tubeless tire a useless endeavor on the trail? Currently I carry a tube and a small pump, but it takes forever to get up to pressure even when I had it on my 26er.

Anything comparable to it's performance but with a bit less bulk? I've got a budget of $50 or so, and just want a really reliable pump that can deal with high volume tires.

Thanks, and sorry to ask such an un-original question!

29er
    Apr 2010
    lezyne micro floor drive hv

OG MTBR USER
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Dan. Just ordered the HVG model. I guess there's no getting around the size for pumping up a big tire. Besides, unlike the other one I was looking at, this might be the last "mini" pump I'll ever need to buy.

Hennry369, why the link to a pi lawyer site?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know if they've addressed this or not, but the Lezyne screw on chuck is notorious for unscrewing tubeless valve cores. If you have valves with a removable core, watch out. Great pump other than that.

mtbr member

Re: Another air pump thread!

The leyzene pumps are small, pump fast, light and fit in my underseat bag. Awesome. And yes, watch the core as it will unscrew on you! Only issue I've found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy View Post
    I don't know if they've addressed this or not, but the Lezyne screw on chuck is notorious for unscrewing tubeless valve cores. If you have valves with a removable core, watch out. Great pump other than that.
    They fixed it with a gold chuck. Dont know how the gold helps but there is a small air release button that keeps the valve core from getting removed....

OG MTBR USER
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the advice, but from what I can tell, the Stan's presta setup is based on a couple of o-rings. Unlike presta valves of olde, you can just push them into place or pull them straight out with some caution using hand tools.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kwsmithphoto View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but from what I can tell, the Stan's presta setup is based on a couple of o-rings. Unlike presta valves of olde, you can just push them into place or pull them straight out with some caution using hand tools.
    Not sure what you mean. Stans valve cores screw in like any other removable valve core on a presta. O ring?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Topeak pumps are great in my opinion. I have owned 2 road morphs and 1 mountain morph. The first road morph served me for the last 6 years, often acting as my home floor pump. It's still going strong. The road morph is far better than the mountain morph albeit lower volume per stroke. The mountain morph lacks an extendable hose, which is stupid of topeak. road tires don't need a long hose, but mountain, especially fatter tires, really needs it. The turbo morph looks pretty awesome except for the lack of extendable hose. REgardless, bigger pumps work really well. Folks with little ones (e.g., little mini lezyne pumps) are always borrowing my mountain morph when repairing flats on the trail because its fast and relatively effortless. mini-pumps with foot pedals and a hose to approximate a floor pump are amazing and far less likely to mess up valve stems than conventional, hold it in two hands, mini-pumps

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Lezyne Pumps are rebuild-able too. I have one and love it, for the simple reason it has a long hose, and no plastic to ever break.

Todd

OG MTBR USER
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Stans valve cores screw in like any other removable valve core on a presta. O ring?
    Ya...early AM brain fart from me, sorry.

The rubber seals at the bottom of the removable core are just tiny o-rings that get squeezed mostly 'flat' when the manufacturer installs them. A little bit of saliva there when you install them into the core apparently helps them seal, because I haven't lost a single pound of air since going tubless a week ago. Maybe that's just dumb luck, I dunno, but I've read a lot of people complain about losing pressure without leaking or "sweating" out sealant.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kwsmithphoto View Post
    Ya...early AM brain fart from me, sorry.

The rubber seals at the bottom of the removable core are just tiny o-rings that get squeezed mostly 'flat' when the manufacturer installs them. A little bit of saliva there when you install them into the core apparently helps them seal, because I haven't lost a single pound of air since going tubless a week ago. Maybe that's just dumb luck, I dunno, but I've read a lot of people complain about losing pressure without leaking or "sweating" out sealant.
    O! Pun intended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any opinions on Park Tool pumps?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Another air pump thread!

Throw a drop of blue loctite on removable cores if your Lezyne pump keeps pulling them out. That, or tighten them up real good in the first place. With a Stan's core remover, or the like, u can still get a core out with a dab of the blue stuff on them

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale M200se View Post
    Any opinions on Park Tool pumps?
    nevermind... i bought a Joe Blow Sport Pump II