mtbr member
    May 2011

Animal Hamilton Pedals (metal)?

I need to pick platform pedals for my new 2011 Trek X-Cal. The LBS where I am getting the bike is trying to talk me into Animal Hamilton's (the metal ones, sealed, not the plastic). I can't reall find any reviews on them. The spikes look a bit short, which I guess is good for my shins. They are $65, but the LBS will put them on my bike for $50 even.

Anyone know anything about them? They good? Fairly light? I had been looking at VP Components pedals on Amazon for about $64.

Also- some fashion advice, please. Should I go with black pedals, white, or silver? I was thinking blue but it might be kinda hard to match them to the little bits of blue on the X-Cal. White sound good? Probably a bit more pop than straight black, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    600g and thick. I would not use those.
    Forte from Performance Bike.
    Odyssee JC/PC are $30. Replacement platforms are $6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Animal Hamilton Pedals (metal)?-odyssee.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks! 600gm does seem kinda heavy. what i did like about the animals though is that the pins are less short and sharp than most, so less shin-damage potential.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    J&L Mountain bike pedals-CNC-Superlight(142g* 2)-fit MTB,FR,BMX&DH-Black | eBay
    I've ridden these type of pins with Asics trailrunners. Other running or lugged shoes will work fine on these. Keep in mind two things. You need a lot more holding power on a DH course at speed than even difficult trails. And there is a learning curve for platforms. Keep your heels tilted down so bumps push you into the pedal axle instead of sliding you off. DH racer Fabian Barel has a video on cornering that lays this out.