Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

American Classic All Mountain Vs Stans Arch EX

Hi
    Anyone got any feed back on the pros and cons of these new wheel sets. Heard the AC hubs are better than the stan hubs, etc
    Is the AC wheel $150 better wheel than the Arch Ex.
    Ease of airing up tubless.

cheers
    Hardtails are for the road, Full Sus is for the dirt. Guess what...PARADOX... Its wrong that a Hardtail can be this much..FUN

Trail Junkie
    Floydo,

I cannot comment on the Arch EX, but I do have the AmClassic AM 29ers. They are the smoothest stiffest wheel I have ever been on. Granted I haven't been on Carbon yet, so I can't compare against that, but they are fantastic wheels! The Hubs are top notch, I have both the tubeless XC 29 that I have been rolling with on my SS for a couple years now...no degrade in performance yet, and have about 800mi. on the AMs, and they have been stellar! Comparing hubs, yes I'd say the AC hubs are much better. They have a 6 pawl engagement vs the Stan's 3 pawl system, and like I said...2yrs, no maintenance, no adjustments.

I am not sure how much the Arch EX's go for, but if you go to Bike Bling and use the "REALDEAL" coupon code, you can get the American Classic AM 29s for $629. Maybe that might bring the price closer to a decision.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Floydo,

I cannot comment on the Arch EX, but I do have the AmClassic AM 29ers. They are the smoothest stiffest wheel I have ever been on. Granted I haven't been on Carbon yet, so I can't compare against that, but they are fantastic wheels! The Hubs are top notch, I have both the tubeless XC 29 that I have been rolling with on my SS for a couple years now...no degrade in performance yet, and have about 800mi. on the AMs, and they have been stellar! Comparing hubs, yes I'd say the AC hubs are much better. They have a 6 pawl engagement vs the Stan's 3 pawl system, and like I said...2yrs, no maintenance, no adjustments.

I am not sure how much the Arch EX's go for, but if you go to Bike Bling and use the "REALDEAL" coupon code, you can get the American Classic AM 29s for $629. Maybe that might bring the price closer to a decision.
    +1

The 2011-12 hubs are awesome. The hoops are stiff, Hubs engage super fast, and NO FLEX. The most annoying thing about the stans were the flex. Like riding a rubber band.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

Big Boy
    got about 50 miles on a set of AC all mountains and no noticeable flex. and i am 255#. they seem a bit stiffer than a flow/hope pro 2 set i had and are quite a bit lighter.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

errr...
    Are the AC's eyeleted ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chase1963 View Post
    Are the AC's eyeleted ?
    NO, but they are batter all around wheels than any stans wheels. I've been beating arches, flows,and the AM Mtn tubeless. Hands down the AC's are stiffer, just as easy to setup tubeless, and lighter than stans... did I mention the wheels have less bearing drag! Wheels will spin forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1 View Post
    NO, but they are batter all around wheels than any stans wheels. I've been beating arches, flows,and the AM Mtn tubeless. Hands down the AC's are stiffer, just as easy to setup tubeless, and lighter than stans... did I mention the wheels have less bearing drag! Wheels will spin forever.
    If they're that much better, AND you can mount a Geax tire on 'em, I'm switching to AC wheels for my next new set.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1 View Post
    Is that like using cake batter instead of stans to seal um

What exactly do you mean "You've been beating" other rims? Are there wheel fighting contests I dont know about?

btw bearing drag is in the hubs not rims... Oh you silly guy you

singletrack bound
    I have to say...I have a pair of AC hubs laced to stan's arches and the hubs do spin real real well.......They are sweet hubs for sure. I have done my own servicing/ bearing replacement and have totally rebuilt my rear hub after three years of SS'ing and they are still in primo shape. I plan to ride these for many more years!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Niner21
    Are the AC's a double wall rim?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Wink Convinced me Guys

Thanks for the feed back off to get some AC, little pricey Down under, but by the sounds of it well worth it. Riding a dually 26 has made me a lazy rider, more bombing trails than picking lines, so i need some decent wheels on the Paradox to compensate.
    Hardtails are for the road, Full Sus is for the dirt. Guess what...PARADOX... Its wrong that a Hardtail can be this much..FUN

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Floydo View Post
    Thanks for the feed back off to get some AC, little pricey Down under, but by the sounds of it well worth it. Riding a dually 26 has made me a lazy rider, more bombing trails than picking lines, so i need some decent wheels on the Paradox to compensate.
    You will not regret...

Trail Junkie
    My first experience with the new(er) AC hubs were mounted on ZTR 355s for my Blur Carbon. When I changed to the Tallboy, I originally went with some OEM Rovals Control EL due to the 20mm T/A. Great wheel by the way! About 3 months ago, I bought the AC AM29s and I could not believe the difference..it was literally night and day, and the difference in stiffness is huge compared to the XC29. The XC29s are on my girl's bike, and the Roval's are now on the pictured Selma with my Tallboy and the AM29s. Both sets of wheels absolutely rock for their intended purpose. Granted the Tallboy is technically a XC/Trail bike, I use it as my "do-it-all" bike, and train and ride locally on my SS, but I ride both equally!
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I need a thru axle hear hub for my Epic Comp, but it`s not easy to found this hubs. Mavic doesn`t have it, either Cobalts. Any sugest? I was thinking in DT 350, with Crest rims.

Trail Junkie
    Julio. Look here
    Axle Conversion Kits

Specialized uses a 12x142 right?
    They sell the conversion and even mentions "Specialized"

If you have any questions, call them up! They are in Tampa, FL. EST Time
    Very easy to talk to!
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    My first experience with the new(er) AC hubs were mounted on ZTR 355s for my Blur Carbon. When I changed to the Tallboy, I originally went with some OEM Rovals Control EL due to the 20mm T/A. Great wheel by the way! About 3 months ago, I bought the AC AM29s and I could not believe the difference..it was literally night and day, and the difference in stiffness is huge compared to the XC29. The XC29s are on my girl's bike, and the Roval's are now on the pictured Selma with my Tallboy and the AM29s. Both sets of wheels absolutely rock for their intended purpose. Granted the Tallboy is technically a XC/Trail bike, I use it as my "do-it-all" bike, and train and ride locally on my SS, but I ride both equally!
    Sounds to me like the AC rims might be good laced to some solid hubs like Dt Swiss, CK's, Hadley or something. Its hard to overlook the very flakey reviews on the AC Hubs although Im not saying that tells the whole story...

Trail Junkie
    I know the old AC hubs were plagued with problems, but the new ones..or atleast the newer freehub body design that I have been using since '07 with the notches cut out on the flange have been stellar. i would put the quality up there definitely with the DT Swiss, CKs and Hadleys. I own/have owned all but Hadleys, and the Pictured Selma is now using Roval Mounted DT 240s which gets ridden 3-4 days a week.
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Sounds to me like the AC rims might be good laced to some solid hubs like Dt Swiss, CK's, Hadley or something. Its hard to overlook the very flakey reviews on the AC Hubs although Im not saying that tells the whole story...
    The hubs were redesigned last year so this argument is now invalid.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The very flakey reviews?
    It's my understanding AC hubs use-to-be junk, supposedly that's all fixed now... from my experience they have been great.

I did blow up a DT 240... and after the repair gave those pieces to my wife. But she doesn't weigh 215 lbs either.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    The hubs were redesigned last year so this argument is now invalid.
    Good to know

Didn't mean it to be a side to an argument, I have no experience with them personally so I cant comment. I was just saying for someone "reviewing hubs to pick" it might be hard to overlook...

mtbr member
    I have them on my Rip9 and love them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Good to know

Didn't mean it to be a side to an argument, I have no experience with them personally so I cant comment. I was just saying for someone "reviewing hubs to pick" it might be hard to overlook...
    The Taiwan made DT Swiss made stuff is subpar IMO but due the DT Swiss name people flock to them. I think like anything it is a perception thing. My DT Swiss 350's are noticeably not as good as my AC's on my other bike will soon be changed out. So if anyone what's my Roval Control Trails let me know.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Engagement of these hubs?

Hello all,
    To those of you using these newer AC wheelsets (XC and AM are same hubs I believe)....how do you find the rear engagement?
    That is my main concern before pulling the trigger on the AM29 wheelset, as 12 point engagement seems low for the rooty, semi-technical portion of my riding.
    Also, anyone weigh these? The AC site claims 1680gm for the AM29.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eleventhcog View Post
    Hello all,
    AC wheelsets / hubs....how do you find the rear engagement? 12 point engagement seems low
    Thanks
    You better go stans + Hadley / King / I9 / or something else...
    It's a shame AC want sell us just the rim... 420g of goodness!

Mr. Lurker
    The American Classic All Mountain wheelsets are a bit pricey, compared to Stans. Can't beat $480 for Crest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast