kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

American Classic 29 race wheelset actual weight

Anyone out there own a set of American Classic 29 Race wheels and know the actual weight? Advertised weight is 1419 grams/set.

I own a set of the standard 29 tubeless wheels - actual weight came in at 1700 grams, not the 1600 grams advertised.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Actual weight

Mine are exactly as advertised 1420 grams.Have them on a niner RDO love the rims not crazy about the rear hub engagement.Going to go XX1 when freehub body is available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Superior TEAM 29
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by global View Post
    Mine are exactly as advertised 1420 grams.Have them on a niner RDO love the rims not crazy about the rear hub engagement.Going to go XX1 when freehub body is available.
    I have got XX1 on my Jet9 RDO, Man it's nice.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thanks everyone!

Thanks to those who replied. I was disappointed when my other wheelset came in over the advertised weight. Not that 100 grams matters that much, but I did choose the American Classic wheelset over the Stan's wheelset because of a combination of strength and weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you guys been satisfied with the stiffness of the AC Race 29's? I am currently running the Stans Gold's and they are a bit flexy..

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I"ve had great luck with American Classic but the weights don't add up on their site. At least for the 29er wheels (Tubeless and All Mountain) the pair weight is not the weight of the front + rear.

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe they are adding in the tape and stem weights for the pair??

I also think the white wheelset is heavier than the black. I noticed stans rims are 30g heavier in white. Who knows why and that might explain why mine are over the advertised weight.

Mine have been a great wheelset - no issues at all in one year and still true as I bought them.

Might be building a weight weenie bike and am looking at the race version, but am concerned about durability with such a light wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    I"ve had great luck with American Classic but the weights don't add up on their site. At least for the 29er wheels (Tubeless and All Mountain) the pair weight is not the weight of the front + rear.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of your desicion should consider your weight, riding style and the terrain you ride. I'm 170lbs and I only ride XC trails w no drops. I ran crests in the past and I've never had an issue so I'd feel comfortable running lighter race hoops. Then there is also a stiffness factor to consider. I switched from Crests to Crossmax and I really appreciated the stiffness over the gained weight.

Can anyone comment on the stiffness of the AC Race 29ers?

Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    Maybe they are adding in the tape and stem weights for the pair??

I also think the white wheelset is heavier than the black. I noticed stans rims are 30g heavier in white. Who knows why and that might explain why mine are over the advertised weight.

Mine have been a great wheelset - no issues at all in one year and still true as I bought them.

Might be building a weight weenie bike and am looking at the race version, but am concerned about durability with such a light wheelset.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm curious about the stiffness as well.

Dropshot Champ!
    they're decently stiff. Not as stiff as a properly tensioned stans flow, but leaps above a stans gold or even a crest. The width of the rim is really nice, it really makes a difference. Mine were 1418g w/ tape+valves. I had the "spoke ping" others had, but brought the tension up and it went away. I came over from i9's and the lower POE didn't bother me, surprisingly. I've had them checked for tension after a few rides, no drops. I'm surprised I haven't killed these yet.

PS, I'm almost 200lbs, so I know how to flex a wheel.