Mulleticious

All mountain / Trail 29er wheel build

Any advice on a decent hub / rim combination for trail / all mountain riding. 190lbs with kit. Needs to be tough and as light as possible without losing on strength. To run tubeless and take 2.35" boots.
    This is for my SC Tallboy LT build. I won't be building the wheels myself, and will consider a factory wheelset as a second prize if it's really worth it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    FlowEX rims and Dt Swiss 350 or lighter 240 star ratchet rear hub. The front hub could be Notubes 3.03 or Dt Swiss based on price or weight. Both have changeable endcaps(not 350). Dt Swiss Comp spokes although I use lighter Super Comps with alloy nipples.
    The Park TM-1 for about 50 and you will have no difficulty building them yourself. Dish and true at a lower than final tension setting on the gauge and bring them up to final in small steps.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-12-2012 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Flow on Hope

MTB B'dos
    What's your budget? Personal 2nd the Pro2 EVO/Flow option. Do a search on here, probably the most popular wheels, had mine now for 4 years and still going strong.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Mulleticious
    My budget would cover Hope / Flows. I was actually planning on these anyway, but wondering whether anyone had any better ideas. So I feel like I'm making the right choice!

The only problem is, I want Merlin (UK) to build them up for me (had plenty wheels built by them and all still going strong) but they don't do 29er Hope/ Flow's yet. They only do Crest and Arch EX on Hope in the 29er range. But I'm working on them to include in their custom build line up!

(Oh and apparently they're called Flow EX's now...)

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    If you aren't running bigger than a 2.35" tire, Arch EX is more than burly enough to take anything you throw at it. The new EX Arches are wider, stronger, yet lighter than the outgoing model. I am beating the living snot out of mine.

I do back up the Hope EVO recommendation. Freaking great hubs. But LOOOOOOUUUDDD freewheel. 2 or 3x louder than anything I have experienced.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by simian23 View Post
    If you aren't running bigger than a 2.35" tire, Arch EX is more than burly enough to take anything you throw at it. The new EX Arches are wider, stronger, yet lighter than the outgoing model. I am beating the living snot out of mine.
    But are they 29ers? I also beat the crap out of my Arch 26" wheelset and it's still true, but I'm concerned about the larger diameter not being as tough...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1

Arch Ex + Hope P2evo with dt swiss spokes - rock solid, good weight and just feel great on the trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I built my ArchEx set with a Dt Swiss rear and ZTR front hub in March and have beat on them almost every day- no problems. They are stiff because these can now take 125 kgf. tension. The 36 point engagement rear rides with a light buzz and comes apart for cleaning without tools.

mtbr member
    I'm building a Pacenti DL31 with front Hope Pro Evo2 and rear Hadley 135mm Ti bolt on, now trying to decide what spokes to use.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm going to throw out a sleeper consideration: e*thirteen TRS+ Hubs (oversized flanges allow shorter spokes = stiffer wheels, carbon internals provide very light weight + solid bang for your buck and good engagement), DT Swiss Comp spokes laced to WTB Freqency Team i23 rims.

My wife has a Rocky Mountain Element 29 950 and has the TRS+ hubs laced to i19 rims.
    I have the the RM Element 970 and same rims, but built to Chris King ISO.

I was also going to go with the e*Thirteen TRS+ as given their extra large flanges, would seem to make a conceptually very strong 29er wheel build. Just decided against the exact same wheel set as the wife and the gold CKs were calling my name.

Whatever you decide, great options out there. Of note, TRS+ are absolutely the loudest hubs I've ever heard. So don't plan on having a conversation while you coast...

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by njnets23 View Post
    I'm going to throw out a sleeper consideration: e*thirteen TRS+ Hubs (oversized flanges allow shorter spokes = stiffer wheels, carbon internals provide very light weight + solid bang for your buck and good engagement), DT Swiss Comp spokes laced to WTB Freqency Team i23 rims.

My wife has a Rocky Mountain Element 29 950 and has the TRS+ hubs laced to i19 rims.
    I have the the RM Element 970 and same rims, but built to Chris King ISO.

I was also going to go with the e*Thirteen TRS+ as given their extra large flanges, would seem to make a conceptually very strong 29er wheel build. Just decided against the exact same wheel set as the wife and the gold CKs were calling my name.

Whatever you decide, great options out there. Of note, TRS+ are absolutely the loudest hubs I've ever heard. So don't plan on having a conversation while you coast...
    To me, the WTB i23 rims don't look wide enough for AM...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    +1 on the hope/flow recommendations! I can't fault them. I'm 110kg on hardtail and beat crap out of them still running sweet after a year. I built them up myself and they were my first attempt so even with a dodgy build they are still strong. (go DT Swiss DB spokes and brass nipples)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1 View Post
    To me, the WTB i23 rims don't look wide enough for AM...?
    I believe the i23 (or 19) references the internal width, not the external width, so they are actually a small bit wider than the original Stans Flow rim, and a bit narrower than the new Flow EX rims.

Plenty wide for wider tires.

There are a few reviews in the Wheel/tire section, including this long one:
    WTB Frequency i23 AM wheelset: alternative to Flow rims

(not 29er specific)

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    But are they 29ers? I also beat the crap out of my Arch 26" wheelset and it's still true, but I'm concerned about the larger diameter not being as tough...
    Yes. Mounted on a Yeti Big Top 29er hardtail.

The wheels are perceptibly stiffer laterally than the Mavic 719 / Hope Pro wheels on my 26" full suspension bike. Those wheels are really tough, too, but these Arches have exceeded my expectations.

Mulleticious

Arch EX

OK, so you've got me seriously thinking about going for Arch EX instead of Flow. I don't do Downhill or Freeride, only Trail and All Mountain - don't do serious rock gardens that often.

These wheels are going on a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc if that helps...??

Should I rather go for the Arch EX over the Flows?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 more for Flows I have them on both my 29ers and I am super hard on wheels doing drops and hitting jumps and they are still true I am running mine on X9 hubs. I just ordered Archs on X9's for my Fargo build but have no doubts they will hold up. As far as Archs suiting your needs if your not doing drops or big hucks you will be fine they are also super strong, a friend of mine has the older Archs on a RIP Niner and he rides it pretty hard so far no issues with them all year. I have had good luck with the Handspun wheel builds from QBP.
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

Mulleticious

Now which spokes to choose?

OK so I have found a decent wheel builder who supplies the new 29er Flow EX rims so I think that's what I want to go for (on the Hope ProII Evo hubs) just to be on the safe side (there may be some drops in my life... )

Now for the spoke choice. I can choose from DT Swiss Competition, Supercomp or Revolution (which look quite light) or Sapim CX-Ray or Race. I need the strong ones - I guess Competition should be OK? (Supecomp take 1.8mm nipples so must be a tad weaker than the 2mm Competition?)

Advice welcome, and thanks for all the comments so far. Repped everyone so far

MTB B'dos
    DT Swiss Competition, definitely don't do the Super Comps. Bigger question you should ask is Brass or Alu nipples I'll say, alu nipples should hold up fine for you and you can get matching green, once you don't live and ride near the ocean and even then they last long - I live on an island and ride trails by the sea and in the sea sometimes and mine last about 3.5 years until the nipples got corroded and needed a rebuild.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

~Reformed Mechanic~
    OK so I have found a decent wheel builder who supplies the new 29er Flow EX rims so I think that's what I want to go for (on the Hope ProII Evo hubs) just to be on the safe side (there may be some drops in my life... )

Now for the spoke choice. I can choose from DT Swiss Competition, Supercomp or Revolution (which look quite light) or Sapim CX-Ray or Race. I need the strong ones - I guess Competition should be OK? (Supecomp take 1.8mm nipples so must be a tad weaker than the 2mm Competition?)

Advice welcome, and thanks for all the comments so far. Repped everyone so far
    Good choice with the Flows I think. I was about to mention that I really liked my Arch EX but I Love my Pacenti TL 28's which are wider than the arch and about the same as the Flows. The advantage is strength but I find my cornering grip has improved with the wider rims also.

Hope Pro II another good choice; reliable, solid, easy to service hubs. Definitely go with the DT Comp spokes, thats all I use. Best bang for the buck, when you start going with super light spokes your compromising durability imo. You will love the wheelset
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just bought a set of Arch EX laced to some XT hubs. I don't ride extremely hard, no big jumps or drops, and they have done just fine. The flows are a little stronger but with that comes a little weight. If you are heavy and going to ride hard then you will want the Flows other wise the Arch will do you very well also.

MTB B'dos
    Small weight penalty going from the Arch to Flows, but BIG savings using Pro2s instead of XT. Always amazes me how damn heavy those XT hubs are, but they do work on a low budget, but not a 100% fan of the cup and cone system, requires too much yearly maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richouse View Post
    I just bought a set of Arch EX laced to some XT hubs. I don't ride extremely hard, no big jumps or drops, and they have done just fine. The flows are a little stronger but with that comes a little weight. If you are heavy and going to ride hard then you will want the Flows other wise the Arch will do you very well also.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Small weight penalty going from the Arch to Flows, but BIG savings using Pro2s instead of XT. Always amazes me how damn heavy those XT hubs are, but they do work on a low budget, but not a 100% fan of the cup and cone system, requires too much yearly maintenance.
    I won't touch XT hubs after my mate's hub dissintegrated on a Welsh Merida Marathon leaving him to walk 8 miles to the feeding stop and then wait 5 hours for a lift...

mtbr member
    I am running Arch Ex on my TBLT and they are working great. I beat the crap out of them all summer and they have remained completely issue free. They are paired w/Schwalbe 2.35 HDs and the combo works very well. I am no hucker but spent a lot of time on rock gardens and smaller jumps/drops.