mtbr member

Alex MD19 29r Wheel question

I posted this the wheels/tire forum with no response so I thought I'd try it hear.

Picked my son up a GT Zaskar Comp 9r and it has a set of Alex MD19 rims on it. They seem to be fairly narrow and I have had a hard time getting any of my more aggressive wider tires to mount up and roll true due to the narrow width. I did mount up the tires that it came with (Maxxis Aspen 2.1 which are really more like 1.9) tubeless to see how difficult it would be and it was a piece of cake. Used a floor pump with ease. My question is first off is anyone running this wheel set tubeless and have you had any issues. Being so narrow I'm a little concerned with rolling the tire off the rim. Secondly I noticed on Alex website they list a MD21 & MD23 and they list this as being tubeless compatible. But they do not list the MD19. I'm wondering is they are the same rim and simply narrower??. They do seem to share the same profile. I've search the web and have found little on the rim. I'm assuming Alex built this wheel set strictly for GT, but I maybe wrong? Have e-mailed Alex as well with no response.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've been able to run the Aspens tubeless on my set of those as well, but I haven't really spent much time thinking about running bigger tires because I'm able to knock these out of true so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    I posted this the wheels/tire forum with no response so I thought I'd try it hear.

Picked my son up a GT Zaskar Comp 9r and it has a set of Alex MD19 rims on it. They seem to be fairly narrow and I have had a hard time getting any of my more aggressive wider tires to mount up and roll true due to the narrow width. I did mount up the tires that it came with (Maxxis Aspen 2.1 which are really more like 1.9) tubeless to see how difficult it would be and it was a piece of cake. Used a floor pump with ease. My question is first off is anyone running this wheel set tubeless and have you had any issues. Being so narrow I'm a little concerned with rolling the tire off the rim. Secondly I noticed on Alex website they list a MD21 & MD23 and they list this as being tubeless compatible. But they do not list the MD19. I'm wondering is they are the same rim and simply narrower??. They do seem to share the same profile. I've search the web and have found little on the rim. I'm assuming Alex built this wheel set strictly for GT, but I maybe wrong? Have e-mailed Alex as well with no response.

mtbr member
    The Alex MD19 is a OEM spec rim, not sold aftermarket. It very likely has the same profile as the MD21 and MD23 which would make it a good candidate for running tubeless ready tires on it. At 19mm internal width it is best suited for up to ~2.2" wide tires.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've got Alex TD24 rims from my GT Karakoram and I was able to go tubeless with Stans rim strips and the stock Kenda Small Block 8 2.1

mtbr member
    What kind of trails do you ride to knock them out of true? Maybe they need to be tuned up??