mtbr member
    May 2013

Aftermarket seat for Cannondale 29er Trail 5

Just got my first bike in 16 years last Friday, a Cannondale Trail 29er 5. Love the bike so far, but the stock seat is killing my butt. Looking for some suggestions on a good replacement seat with some sort of cushion or padding to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

turtles make me hot
    How big are you? I'm a bigger guy and was riding on a WTB Rocket V. It was ok but not great. I got a Pure V and it feels so much better.
    You don't really want a heavily padded seat, just one that fits.
    Are you riding in bike shorts?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    6 1" 225lbs. I don't ride in bike shorts

turtles make me hot
    Get a WTB Pure V and a pair of padded shorts. You'll be all good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not sure if it matters but I'm not a extreme trail rider. Mainly just ride for exercise and recreation with my girlfriend. Mainly on paved roads and paved bike ride paths. 6-10 mile average rides

turtles make me hot
    If the ride is around the block or five miles, a seat that fits is going to feel better.
    Just the seat by itself will feel better. When I take the dog for a run around the neighborhood I don't usually gear up. I just hop on the bike in whatever shorts I have on. The Pure V feels better on my sit bones than all of my past narrower saddles.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good place to buy from?

AZ
    banned
    Try some good quality padded cycling shorts before you start throwing money at saddles. It also takes some time to get over saddle soreness, the shorts will help with that as well as more time in the saddle, chamois creme can help alleviate chaffing as well. A LBS can help when it is time for a new saddle, pointing you towards the correct width for proper fitment.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Haven't had any chaffing just soreness from sitting on the stock seat

Just Ride!
    Ask your LBS to fit a seat for you, though I recommend staying away from thick padded seats. I find that the most comfortable saddles to me have nearly zero padding, yet have give and flex in the base. Also, lose the cotton drawers and ride in wicking nylon or use padded cycling shorts. Then for the part you really need to hear... Get in more frequent rides to get your posterior in shape. With little short rides, your sit bones or saddle are not broken in.

HAHA PWN
    I'm a really big fan of Fizik's Gobi seats, but do what everyone said and get some nice padded liners/shorts before you replace your saddle. You can get some good deals on them if you know where to look.

mtbr member
    First make sure the saddle it set up correctly first before throwing money at the bike. Check the height, tilt, and the front/back position.

Start with the saddle level to the ground and in the middle of the seat clamp. Then adjust the height.

Ride around and adjust from there.

Formerly of Kent
    I ride the plastic shell of an old Bontrager, whose cover I wrecked racing on the road. There is literally nothing but plastic and metal rails.

The problem with padding is that it lets your hard bits, your "sit bones", sink down into the padding. And then the soft parts near your genitals end up getting a lot more pressure placed on them than they should.

I would advise you to a) get some thinly padded shorts and b) continue to ride. Your body will grow used to it. Saddles with lots of padding are for people who ride beach cruisers to the local farmer's market.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by J Teezy View Post
    Just got my first bike in 16 years last Friday, a Cannondale Trail 29er 5. Love the bike so far, but the stock seat is killing my butt. Looking for some suggestions on a good replacement seat with some sort of cushion or padding to make the ride a bit more comfortable.
    If you're just getting back into riding bikes after not riding them for a while, it will take your behind a while to get used to being in that sitting position. Before you start throwing money at the issue, try adjusting the saddle and giving it some time for your behind to get used to it. A good place to start with a saddle is dead level. For me, I tend to try and position the saddle as nose-up as I can without my junk falling asleep... and that is about dead level compared to the ground. A bubble level works well for this. Basically what you are after is your sit bones firmly on the tail of the saddle, and the nose supporting your under-bits without applying too much pressure. Too much pressure and your junk falls asleep, but no pressure and it will try and tilt your pelvis forward which puts pressure on your lower back. Your handlebar height also plays into how much weight and at what angle your body is supported by the saddle.

Also, your behind is like your feet. There isn't one saddle that is perfectly comfy for everybody, so take recommendations here with a grain of salt. WTB saddles work very well for me, I must say, but not for everybody. The Rocket series is good. I found a Rocket V DH with Ti rails at a swap meet back in 2001 or so for $10, and it's been on 4 different bikes of mine so far. The thing is comfy, light, has narrow wings in back so it's easy to crouch behind on steep downhills, and just won't die. It also does a pretty good job of not getting soggy in the rain or mud.

Saddles with more padding aren't always more comfy, too. More padding can cause more friction and chafing. You can ride on a solid wood saddle if it was shaped properly.

And yeah, I do suggest getting a good pair of bike shorts with a chamois, and wear them without underwear. If you feel self conscious in lycra, get baggy shorts with a lycra padded liner. I would also suggest a shirt made from wicking fabric. Cotton tee shirts just get sweaty, sticky and make you feel all wet and clammy, not to mention the dust sticks to the damp parts and makes crusty muddy mess. They do a poor job of wicking your body heat and moisture away. If you don't want to pony up for a cycling jersey, they have Coolmax tees at Target for under $10.

Anyway, back to saddles. Most local bike shops have tester saddles. You basically buy like a WTB tester saddle (they are usually yellow) you put it on your bike and ride it for a week. If you like it, you take it back and they give you a real one. If not, then try something else, or get your money back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Get a WTB Pure V and a pair of padded shorts. You'll be all good.
    ^^^ Second this.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    OK, I'll state the obvious here...

Just make sure you get a 29er specific seat...
    and a decent padded short will help alleviate the much feared "riders dreadlocks syndrome..."
    maladroitus extraordinairus