mtbr member
    Sep 2013

affordable tire recommendations

Hey guys I need some suggestions for a cheap rear tire with more meat than my current WTB Nano, 2.1x29.

My wheels are WTB FX23 for reference.

Would it be possible (by that I mean not a totally bad idea) to throw just a meaty rear on and use the above tired as fronts?

Really noticing how much traction I do not have with all the leaves on the ground!

ballbuster
    I got one of those Performance Bike Forte Pisgah tires. I'm pretty impressed with it, especially for $26. It's pretty bit and meaty, but rolls okay. For that price, get a pair.

Also, check out the Panaracer Tires. They have a few that are on the cheaps that I hear are pretty good, like the Soar or the Comet.

Big Boy
    geax tires are usually a pretty good bang for the buck
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey thanks guys I'll look into that!

I'll be getting a set for myself and my girl's 26er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Also trying to figure out how wide I can go.

Anything I can do to be sure other than just measuring the current setup?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    While i dont have a cheap tire recommendation for you, I can add that tire width depends on how large of chainstay openings you have. If your 2.1 nano is close to rubbing or leaving little room for mud, that is about as big as you should go. If you have a lot of space left you can run something meatier.
    I will also add that most people that run bigger tires on one end over the other put the bigger tire on the front. For me a run a 2.4 on the front and a skinny(conti) 2.2 on the rear. Reason being is the rear tire is the tire you a pedaling so weight/size matter. i wouldnt run a bigger tire than you NEED in back. The large front tire is nice for contact patch and also for more air volume to suck up the rocks and sharp edges in the trail and obstacles.
    Hope this helps.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I got one of those Performance Bike Forte Pisgah tires. I'm pretty impressed with it, especially for $26. It's pretty bit and meaty, but rolls okay. For that price, get a pair.

Also, check out the Panaracer Tires. They have a few that are on the cheaps that I hear are pretty good, like the Soar or the Comet.
    +1 on the Pisgah for meaty and cheap and not bad

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was just able to get two Michelin Wild Race'r 2.10 tires on Amazon for $32.65 each shipping included.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstroke View Post
    Also trying to figure out how wide I can go.

Anything I can do to be sure other than just measuring the current setup?
    It's hard to say. It's not like one company's 2.1" tire has anything to do with another company's 2.1" tire. They can be as much as 1/2" difference between them. Only one way to tell.... buy one and install it... see if it fits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    It's hard to say. It's not like one company's 2.1" tire has anything to do with another company's 2.1" tire. They can be as much as 1/2" difference between them. Only one way to tell.... buy one and install it... see if it fits.
    I was afraid you'd say that..ha, thanks!

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstroke View Post
    Hey guys I need some suggestions for a cheap rear tire with more meat than my current WTB Nano, 2.1x29.

My wheels are WTB FX23 for reference.

Would it be possible (by that I mean not a totally bad idea) to throw just a meaty rear on and use the above tired as fronts?

Really noticing how much traction I do not have with all the leaves on the ground!
    Sixstroke, I'm not running a "meatier" tire combination, but I do support the use of tired rears up front. Currently running Bontrager 29-1's and because they wear so quickly I rotate the rear to front with about 3/32" of center tread left. I wouldn't do this if the tires were "years old" because I would worry about the integrity of the tire, but I'm burning a set of tires annually. Hook-up with leaves is a tougher problem, when fall hits here and leaves over hardpack is a problem I usually run lower pressures but I see some utility in small/widely spaced knobs (my theory is that the smaller knob would tend to float on top of the leaf less than a larger knob due to the higher pressure per square inch of contact) but I dropped out of Mechanical Engineering classes 30 years ago so I might have missed that discussion.

Since you brought it up, why do bike tires cost so much anyway? The tires for my Honda ridgeline were about three times the cost my last MTB tires but the ridgeline tires will last 60K and weigh 48# each. My 29-1s were on sale for $40/per don't weigh a pound and barely last 1500 miles. I would get the pricing scheme if these were handmade tires from a French monastery that used silk cases and lasted a lifetime.

Enough whining.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    +1 on the Pisgah for meaty and cheap and not bad

-F
    +2 , the Pisgah works very good in loose , nice volume, mine weighed 680 grams 29x2.2. The Tsali works rear good as a rear.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Since you brought it up, why do bike tires cost so much anyway? The tires for my Honda ridgeline were about three times the cost my last MTB tires but the ridgeline tires will last 60K and weigh 48# each. My 29-1s were on sale for $40/per don't weigh a pound and barely last 1500 miles. I would get the pricing scheme if these were handmade tires from a French monastery that used silk cases and lasted a lifetime.

Enough whining.
    Another way to look at it is use. I will approach 400 - 420 annual training hours by the end of December on the same pair of bike tires I've used all year. If I was in my Honda Element cruising down the highway at 70 mph, 400 annual hours of doing that is 28,000 miles, 420 annual hours would be 29,400 miles. Of course, that's not the type of driving I do with that car all the time - so the lifespan is extended. But if you really calculate the number of hours, I'm paying about about 27 cents per hour for my bike tires each year. I can't even park my car for that cheap per hour.

That being said, it looks like I've got plenty of tread left on my training tires to go well into next year as well before I get a new pair.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm running CST Caballeros on my 26er... and I've been exceedingly happy with them. They don't roll great, but they grip really well and have been super tough for me.

The 29er I'll be going Ardent/Ignitor so not exactly cheap, but not super expensive either.