mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Advice for a heavy rider

Hello everybody, new to the forum. I ride a redline d440 with stock Alexrims DH 19 wheels. I recently broke a spoke on the cassette side of the rear wheel and $35 later I have nice new spoke on a trued wheel. 2 days later while moving the bike around, I broke another spoke on the cassette side again! I weigh about 300 lbs and I know I put a lot of strain on my wheels when I do even a modest bunny hop. It seems like most riders aren't as heavy as me so I'm not sure how much I should expect these wheels to handle.

I put at least 50 miles a week on this bike and I bought it secondhand, so I'm not sure how rugged these rims are and how much they were already thrashed.

I guess my question for you all is this: What kind of wheels would you recommend for someone who weighs way more than a normal rider?

I just want to get a new rear wheel with a budget of 200-500

Any pointers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You probably should get a new front and rear wheel. You can get an entire big-man worthy wheelset for $500. Try googling "clydesdale wheels" or "strong 29er wheels' because there are many threads on mtbr about your issue. There are also threads in the clydesdale section of mtbr. Plus, I bet people will come on here and give you some options. If nobody does, I'll check back when I have more time and give you some options.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    You probably should get a new front and rear wheel. You can get an entire big-man worthy wheelset for $500. Try googling "clydesdale wheels" or "strong 29er wheels' because there are many threads on mtbr about your issue. There are also threads in the clydesdale section of mtbr. Plus, I bet people will come on here and give you some options. If nobody does, I'll check back when I have more time and give you some options.
    You can do a lot better than $500. Just get some beefy freeride kinda rims on Shimano XT hubs, 36 spokes and brass nipples. I would be surprised if it set you back more than $300. Go for Hope Pro2 hubs if budget allows.

I might suggest looking at the WTB Freeride rim. They list for $70.

Wilderness Trail Bikes - LaserDisc Freeride rim 36 hole Black

Better yet, talk to MikeSee at lacemine29.com. He'll build you a wheelset that will hold up, and won't charge a crapload of money for it.

Yeah, those stock Alex rims that Redline puts on their bikes aren't very good, but they are decent for their price point. I remember having to adjust my MonoCog29er rims a lot to keep them true, and I didn't really beat on them very hard.

Also switching to double butted spokes should help with the breakage issue. The thing is, on a straight gauge spoke, the weakest, most stressed point is the J-Bend. A double butted spoke allows the spoke to stretch more in the thinner middle part where there isn't any added stress point. Also, be sure your spokes are snug enough. If the spoke is allowed to go slack under stress, when it snaps back, it puts a lot of sudden whiplash stress on the nipple and j-bend.

Or, just buy a few spare spokes in the right length and nipples and do the work yourself. It's not that hard.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-25-2013 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mattinatx, have you been able to find some options yet? If so, what are they?
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.