mtbr member
    Aug 2010

AC Classic Terrain vs Stans vs Sunringle Wheels

I am considering upgrading my wheels for my SC superlight Dxc. For the price ($1750) the bike came with decent, reliable if not somewhat heavy parts. The wheels (laserdisk XC w M525 hubs, 19mm, not tubeless ready) work fine so far (although since somebody here pointed it out I really notice the low POE) but are really the heaviest components on the bike. I would also like the ability to go tubeless. Anyway, since I bought this bike with a mind of keeping cost down I really want to get the most bang for the buck. The following are the wheels I am considering:

American Classic Terrain - Same POE as more expensive AC wheels , appears to have cheaper bearings and less polish. Not sure if these are heavy duty or light duty wheels. (sales prices around $400) I believe these have UST tubeless rims.

Stans Arch or Flows - These seem to be a well know entity and don't really go on sale often. LIttle concerned that these may more on the side of race day wheels than every day wheels (at least with the Arches). The reason I feel this way as they are lighter than the other two brands and they post weight limits on their website, not to mention recent threads about a guy taco'ing two sets of Arch EX's in a short span on XC trails. Can save a little weight by using standard tires tubeless. $500 for ZRT hubs.

Sun Ringle (Charger or Black Flag Expert) - These have the same bead tech as stans. It my understanding that they manufacture the stans wheels (and perhaps hubs too) They have only 28 spokes, but it is my understanding that since they are straight pull, that they are not inferior in strength/stiffness to other 32 spoke wheels. (sales prices around $439-$450) UGLY stickers on the Chargers.

About me - 185lbs aggressive XC/trails. I will take decent hits at close to speed, but do tend to keep wheels on the ground (no intentional jumps)

Btw if I do upgrade, I will put the laserdisk's on my wife's Cobia which as 475 hubs and cheap bonty rims.

mtbr member
    The advantage of the AC wheels will be the steel face freehub body which means you can run the stock cassette on it without the cogs digging into the aluminum material. It also uses a standard 32h rim and j-bend spokes so repairs are fairly easy.

The Stans wheels are nice and the hubs are made by Chosen whom also makes Sun Ringle hubs. But they do use a aluminum freehub body that is pretty soft so a XT level cassette or higher (or SRAM equivelent) is needed.

The Sun Ringle wheels are plenty stiff with 28h (I've owned the Charger Experts). And in a pinch you can use a j-bend spokes for a repair. My charger experts came with an aluminum freehub body as well and my SLX level cassette did dig into it a bit.

All things considered I would probably pick the AC wheels (not UST though, closer to the Stans system) but all three are solid.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    yea

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have similar requirements and ride similar trails. I'm 205 though.

Have had no issues thus far with Sun Ringle BFP's. Nobby Nics aired up quickly with a floor pump.

$306 out the door.

mtbr member
    My first 29" wheels I had built up with 36 spokes. They are Stan's Flows on Shimano Saint hubs and they are as strong as the proverbial brick outhouse.

I then got a new frame with a tapered head tube and all the new forks come only with a QR15. I had the option of changing the front hub from a 20mm. to a 15mm. or get a new wheel set.

I managed to get a SUN Ringlé Charger Pro wheelset at a good price and decided to take a chance. I'm about 215lbs. and was concerned about only 28 spoke wheels. I've been riding on them since April and they have been great. I honestly cant feel a difference between my two wheel sets.

Another thing I really like about the SUN wheels is that they will take any axle type both back and front. There is even a step down 12mm. rear axle that adapts to a 10mm. dropout, allowing the hub to be bolted on. I won't use a standard QR on a mountain bike.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Upgraded my WTB Laser Disc with BlackFlag Expert wheelset and really enjoying them, they're lighter too.

I am 200lb geared up and when running the WTB's I kept breaking spokes every once in a while but that might be just me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Update,

I found a set up Stan's Flow Wheels (non ex) with Hope pro 2 evo hubs for under $500. It was my understanding that the Hope hubs are an upgrade over ZRT hubs. The only complaint I hear (pun intended) is that they are very load when coasting.

mtbr member
    Is that Flow/Hope wheelset used or new?

Yes the hubs are loud but you get accustomed to it.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The wheels are new, $480.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    The wheels are new, $480.
    Damn that is a good deal assuming the build uses quality spokes. I'd jump on it.
    Signature