Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Absolutely fed up with Avid Elixr on my Stumpjumper

Now, i dont mean to '***** and moan' HOWEVER, i am fed up with this breaking system. My stumpjumper is not even 8 months old (but gets ridden hard- Micheux series, frederick water shed, Maximus, dark hollow etc..) and i have had NOTHING, but issues with my Avid Elixr set-up. Constant problems consist of both the front and rear breaks constantly locking up/seizing (pistons stuck all the way IN) i have had the breaks bled NUMEROUS TIMES over the course of 6-7 months, (both front and rear) to solve this issue. This process is done literally, every other week and i am simply fed up. I ride with a friend of mine that runs a Niner with a Hope breaking system and has not bled the breaks in 5 years! AND this guy runs in numerous endurance type races. I also ride with a neighbor that runs a single speed rigid with a BB7 mechanical system and he also has ZERO issues. I am thinking about dumping this crap break set-up for something different. Has anyone else run into this same issue? I did some re-search prior to this post and the "popular" issue i see, is from simple break pad incorrect install where the break pistons do NOT recess BACK IN. Mine simply get stuck in the RECESSED position, CONSTANTLY. Very frustrating and a waste of money having to constantly bleed the breaks.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    xtr's fren

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would think Avid would warranty their brakes, not sure if you contacted them. Having said that, after a week with my Avids I swapped them for Maguras. Happy camper ever since.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    i took the elixers off my stumpy and put them in the toilet where they belong. went with hope and couldn't be happier.
    on a side note, the bb7's on my dirt roadie are awesome.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Candidate : BB7 mechanical system

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I feel your pain. Had Avid Elixir 3 on mine. swapped them out with Hope X2 Evo and couldnt be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You can get the new xt brakes without rotors for $200 from jenson usa.

One Gear
    Get the shop to contact Avid about warranty replacement. Hopefully you can get a replacement set and sell them.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have heard Magura is very good. As stated the other guy i ride with has the Hope system and has not bled the brakes in 5 years!. My other neighbor uses the BB7 mechanical on his single speed rigid and he swears by them (after having numerous mtn bikes from full suspension to his now single speed rigid) Just looked up the XTR's and read a few reviews that are still, similar to my constant horror story. I am not exaggerating, i have to have either the front OR back bled every other week. It is simply Ridiculous! Just replaced my rear brake pad this past week prior to riding Teaberry (terro of teaberry-mucheux series) and the back was fine. Rode Frderick, md Watershed yesterday. got 5 miles in and NO rear brakes. I was simply just pissed!. I finished off the 15 mile ride having to just be careful with the front brakes on some of the technical downhill stuff, but it is just frustrating because i love get out and ride. I ride fast and very aggressive, the technical stuff i eat up. It is hard to train for events when your equipment constantly ****s out on you. Thanks for all the help to everyone. I will just have to make a choice in regards to sticking with hydraulic OR going mechanical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    SLX, XT, XTR. Take your choice. They all have the same braking power and weigh pretty close to one another. Pick whichever one meets your $ to bling ratio and live happy.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I'm not defending elixir, as I have had some issues, but the pistons not engaing is really strange. I have had the pistons not retreating with a change of pads but that is an easy fix with just letting some fuild out of the caliper. For a piston to seize so that it wont come out under pressure from the lever is wierd. Did it happen mid ride after working perfectly? I am tempted to suggest they are faulty under warrantee or not bled properly.

I like turtles
    Time to call Avid..they will/should help you.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    i got my xtr trail brakes here...$373 for the set

Shimano XTR Trail BR-M985 + BL-M988 Scheibenbrems-Set
    Last edited by skyak; 12-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I'm not defending elixir, as I have had some issues, but the pistons not engaing is really strange. I have had the pistons not retreating with a change of pads but that is an easy fix with just letting some fuild out of the caliper. For a piston to seize so that it wont come out under pressure from the lever is wierd. Did it happen mid ride after working perfectly? I am tempted to suggest they are faulty under warrantee or not bled properly.
    Exactly why this is getting ridiculous. A lot of the research i have done resulting in commonalities is exactly what you stated. That the pistons do not retract and the quick fix is to unscrew the bleed screw to let about a drop of fluid out OR to use WD40 OR gt85 and the pistons will usually 'break' free and retract. My case is that both the front and rear pistons have been seizing in the recessed position constantly, resulting in constant brake bleeding procedures. When i went to ride Teaberry, i replaced my rear pad before the ride. (No rubbing and the brakes seemed to be fine during the ride) Rode Watershed yesterday with a few friends and the rear simply crapped out and i had nothing, the pistons were not engaging out at all. This happens FREQUENTLY between both the front and rear. The front had to be bled just two weeks ago BECAUSE the pistons were seized in the recessed position and i had no front brakes. This week, it is my back brake. "****s getting old"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I started biking last year and I will share that the Elixirs initially soured me on MTB.

I now am using XT's and after fixing (upgrading) a few other parts am now happily in a steady relationship with MTB.

SRAM would not warranty my brakes as they basically wanted to me to sink a bunch of money into repairing the brakes before they would help. Not worth spending $60 to rebuild a caliper and hope that the sticky pistons wouldn't resurface...along with lever issues.

mtbr member
    No probs with the XTs. They're also super silent, so you can brake like a ninja!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had some Stock Hayes brakes on a Kona a few years back. They constantly gave problems so eventually I upgraded to Hope Mini at the start of 2008. I still have them on my spare bike and they are still going well. They probably were bled once a year and occasionally needed new pads but I've been very happy with them. When you've been used to hassle, it's a good feeling when you get something that works well. I've had Hope X2 evo on my new bike since Feb this year and they are even better. I've had one pad replacement so far and i ride dirty conditions quite often. Reccommended.

MTB B'dos
    Have had the same experience with the Avids on several riding buds bike, from Elixir 3s to XX, all have given trouble ( that's 7 bikes with them). I had Juicy7s, they weren't fantastic, but I never had to be constantly bleeding them or having issues like these, don't know WTF happened. Guys have left their bikes sitting for a few weeks, come back to ride it and as said, BRAKES are locked onto the rotors. Only advice I give people when they come to me now with problems on Avids is to tell them to replace them with Shimano SLX or XTs. As to contacting Avid, yeah, they'll maybe say they need warrantying, and then tell you to contact your shop to get it done, so if you live somewhere without a local Avid/SRAM dealer you $hit out of luck.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like it's time to wave the white flag and move on to something else.

On my friend's bikes I've seen numerous hydro brakes fail, squeek constantly, need constant bleeding ot adjustments etc.

This is why I've stuck to my trusty ol' BB7. They hardly require any maintenance. I never worry about them, They always work. I can adjust them myself if I need to, no mess.

I've been tempted to get new brakes because I hear glowing reviews of xt/xtr disc brakes, but then I hear horror stories too and I'm not sure I want to deal with that.

Seriously, if you want some brakes that work all of the time, you mostly xc/trail ride you can't go wrong with BB7. They have more than enough stopping power, they are cheaper than hydro, and are more worry free.

Sorry to hear of your pain, hope you settle it all out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a SJ and hated the brakes. I ride in MD and my trail has a couple of creak crossing, as soon as they're wet, everyone knows I'm out riding.

I have XT on my new bike and love them, not a sound out of them.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 12-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I like taking breaks, I typically only do so when I am tired though.

As far as my BRAKES, yes I have Elixir's as well and they aren't all that great.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I like taking breaks, I typically only do so when I am tired though.

As far as my BRAKES, yes I have Elixir's as well and they aren't all that great.
    That's what happens when you have work on one monitor and forums on another.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Are you bleeding them yourself of getting a shop to do it?

I had a similar issue with my Elixir CR on my Epic. I had to pump the brakes three times before it would fully apply on one ride which led to some sketchy downhills.

I finally took them in to a shop to get fixed. The problem wasn't the bleeding, but a part of the brake that needed replacing. The shop had a few of the required spare part as Avid sent a bunch out to shops for warranty issues (can't remember what it was called - maybe something to do with barrel??). They didn't charge me for the part even though it wasn't the shop I'd bought the bike in. They just charging me for the labor which was like $15.

That was over a year ago and they are still running like they were bled yesterday.
    Last edited by mbco1975; 12-03-2012 at 07:50 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Get the shop to get you replacements. Take them and put them on ebay. Buy anything else.

My new xts have been 100% trouble free. The pads NEVER drag on the rotor. Which is amazing to me because during years of using avids I constantly had issues with the pistons sticking or not extending equally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    In the same boat with my Elixer 3's. Very very noisy and not confidence inspiring.

I'm considering the XTs for $200 for F/R set from jenson or hayes prime expert for $210 for F/R set from pricepoint. Both have great reviews, and am not sure what to go with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post
    In the same boat with my Elixer 3's. Very very noisy and not confidence inspiring.

I'm considering the XTs for $200 for F/R set from jenson or hayes prime expert for $210 for F/R set from pricepoint. Both have great reviews, and am not sure what to go with.
    Personally for a bike, I like Shimano and not having to deal with DOT fluids.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

I'm just messing with you
    I feel lucky, never had a moment's trouble out of my Elixirs. I had a set of Hayes that wouldn't work for me though, so I replaced them with BB7s, and I'll do the same for the Elixirs if they ever act up.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

MTB B'dos
    Which XTs are you referring to, the older 775 or the newer 785s? If the newer 785's, good luck finding a set for $200 US from anywhere, only thing close was Jenson had some OEM take offs for $99 that came with standard pads and not the Ice Tech, but they disappeared fast. I'm in the process of getting the new 785s from CRC (going through some issues with the order) but best price I found (after I placed my order) was with Wiggle with their 10% off on orders over 99 pounds. Not much difference between them, but so far experience wise I'd lean towards Wiggle.

One thing to be aware of though when ordering from European sites is that they mostly get their brakes setup "moto" style so if you're accustomed to running them with the rear on the right, you'll have to swap the hoses around as the XTs are not a flip flop design like the Avids - only thing they have going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rothnic View Post

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Take two of these and call me in the morning,

Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Brakes, Mountain Bike Disc Brakes, Hayes Disc Brakes, Bicycle Disc Brakes

Dr. XT,

(better know as DirtyHank)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Appears to be front only on sale unless I am missing something...still a good deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Appears to be front only on sale unless I am missing something...still a good deal.
    That's twisted...I checked wonder what's up with that? Haven't called.

Hank

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Which XTs are you referring to, the older 775 or the newer 785s? If the newer 785's, good luck finding a set for $200 US from anywhere, only thing close was Jenson had some OEM take offs for $99 that came with standard pads and not the Ice Tech, but they disappeared fast.[/I]
    Yeah, the ones I was referencing are without the "ice tech". Looks like they only have the front in stock. What is the deal with only the front set being on sale at both jenson and bluesky...

I guess the Hayes are looking decent then. I've seen mixed reviews on Hayes, but they tend to be against the stroker line. Everything about the prime line has been really good. Found a couple accounts of people who have used both the prime and new XTs and like them both. The Prime also seemed to have a nice way to adjust the spacing of the pads around the disc. I just wish I had picked up the Prime Expert when they were still $180 for a set.

Edit: Went back and navigated on my own in bluesky and it looks like it is both front and rear (SLX). Only front available for XT.
    Last edited by rothnic; 12-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did pick up some XT rotors for $15 and $19 though...thanks.

Cow Clicker
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. Mine are trouble free. I do have to spread the pads each time I take a wheel off and put it back on though.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Sorry to hear you are having problems. Mine are trouble free. I do have to spread the pads each time I take a wheel off and put it back on though.
    I know I'll sounds like a jerk, but since that is not normal, I'd say you do have problems with yours.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I know I'll sounds like a jerk, but since that is not normal, I'd say you do have problems with yours.
    It's normal for Avids

I just leave 'em on or put a Brake pad block thing in there if I'm transporting.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    BB7s... Reliable, simple, plenty of stopping power, and just work. If for some reason you DO have an issue, its likely trail fixable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have 6 month old XO brakes. They have already been replaced once bt Sram under warranty, they are absolute junk! I am anxiously awaiting my new XTR Trail brakes so all my braking woes can be put behind me. Could have done without the expense thou!!! I used Dura Ace all the time on my road bikes and i should have known that if reliability and performance are your drivers then Shimano is the go-to brand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Xt brakes all the way. The rest of the group I ride with are slowly all going the xt route after dealing with avid brakes. Can't believe the even make a such a disappointing product.

MTB B'dos
    Well I learned a new trick to check actual stock last night and gave it a try @ Jenson on these OE XT brakes, put it in my cart and bumped the # up to 100. When it reloaded said I could only get 95 of them, so they have LOADS of stock of these, so don't go rushing out to buy them in case they sell out
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    That's twisted...I checked wonder what's up with that? Haven't called.

Hank
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    LyNx,

What a cool idea. Why didn't I think of that.

Hey as far as my Avid Elixr 1 brakes go on my 2012 Rockhopper, I don't have any problems (but judging by what almost everyone has to say I guess I should work a "yet" into my sentence)

My wife can't stop thanking me for ditching the BB5's on her Specialized Myka and installing Deore's. She loves them and has a lot more confidence riding now.

Hank

mtbr member
    I have a 4 month old Tallboy that came with Avid 5's. I had similar problems, that said, I picked up my bike from the shop with new XT's on Friday. Tested them out yesterday and all is right with the world. I stuck with the original rotors, but will change them to Ice Techs in the future.

I threw the Avids in the garbage - it was cathartic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No problems with my Elixirs going on 2-3 years.

mtbr member
    4 bikes over the last 7 years (3 still in use), 4 sets of BB7's. No problems. Ever. Change the pads once a year, minor (10 second) adjustments every couple weeks. Realign (takes 1 minute with an allen wrench) every month or so. Ride in dirt/mud/sand/slop/rain - everything. Switched to organic pads, and no noise either!

I will use no other. Already on the build list for my next bike.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    4 bikes over the last 7 years (3 still in use), 4 sets of BB7's. No problems. Ever. Change the pads once a year, minor (10 second) adjustments every couple weeks. Realign (takes 1 minute with an allen wrench) every month or so. Ride in dirt/mud/sand/slop/rain - everything. Switched to organic pads, and no noise either!

I will use no other. Already on the build list for my next bike.
    Well BB7s are the only brakes Avid seems to be able to get right. They should release a matchmaker brake lever for them.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Get the shop to get you replacements. Take them and put them on ebay. Buy anything else.
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, a lot of posts in the past two days lol. To sum it all up. Yes, all of my breaking problems i have taken the bike to the shop, where i bought it (for warranty purposes so that the shop would have a history on the bike). HOWEVER, i took the bike to a more local shop that i have a history with do to its short distance and lower prices. In reference to the barrel adjuster issue, that is one problem avid seems to be having with the xlixr set-up. The fluid becomes trapped do to the barrel adjusters and the lever under pressure can not push any fluid through to the brakes. This has happened on both lever. The shop owner told me he would see if Avid would warranty me a new set of lower end levers (the juicy set) because they seem to work better VS the exlixr (i have also heard this before from several sources). IF avid decides to NOT warranty them, i will look to a completely different set-up. IF Avid does the warranty, i will use the different set UNTIL they do the same AND go with a completely different set-up. I am still torn between mechanical VS hydraulic. I know some will say mechanical is going "backwards" but idk?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiboy87 View Post
    Wow, a lot of posts in the past two days lol. To sum it all up. Yes, all of my breaking problems i have taken the bike to the shop, where i bought it (for warranty purposes so that the shop would have a history on the bike). HOWEVER, i took the bike to a more local shop that i have a history with do to its short distance and lower prices. In reference to the barrel adjuster issue, that is one problem avid seems to be having with the xlixr set-up. The fluid becomes trapped do to the barrel adjusters and the lever under pressure can not push any fluid through to the brakes. This has happened on both lever. The shop owner told me he would see if Avid would warranty me a new set of lower end levers (the juicy set) because they seem to work better VS the exlixr (i have also heard this before from several sources). IF avid decides to NOT warranty them, i will look to a completely different set-up. IF Avid does the warranty, i will use the different set UNTIL they do the same AND go with a completely different set-up. I am still torn between mechanical VS hydraulic. I know some will say mechanical is going "backwards" but idk?
    Nothing wrong with Hydro as long as they aren't Avids.

My first set of XTs never gave me a problem over the 6 years I had them on the bike. I never even had to bleed them.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Seems the 2014 Stumpjumpers have moved to Magura. Wonder why... Sorry for you pain! I too hate the brakes, but I live with them for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast