Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Absolutely fed up with Avid Elixr on my Stumpjumper

Now, i dont mean to '***** and moan' HOWEVER, i am fed up with this breaking system. My stumpjumper is not even 8 months old (but gets ridden hard- Micheux series, frederick water shed, Maximus, dark hollow etc..) and i have had NOTHING, but issues with my Avid Elixr set-up. Constant problems consist of both the front and rear breaks constantly locking up/seizing (pistons stuck all the way IN) i have had the breaks bled NUMEROUS TIMES over the course of 6-7 months, (both front and rear) to solve this issue. This process is done literally, every other week and i am simply fed up. I ride with a friend of mine that runs a Niner with a Hope breaking system and has not bled the breaks in 5 years! AND this guy runs in numerous endurance type races. I also ride with a neighbor that runs a single speed rigid with a BB7 mechanical system and he also has ZERO issues. I am thinking about dumping this crap break set-up for something different. Has anyone else run into this same issue? I did some re-search prior to this post and the "popular" issue i see, is from simple break pad incorrect install where the break pistons do NOT recess BACK IN. Mine simply get stuck in the RECESSED position, CONSTANTLY. Very frustrating and a waste of money having to constantly bleed the breaks.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    xtr's fren

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would think Avid would warranty their brakes, not sure if you contacted them. Having said that, after a week with my Avids I swapped them for Maguras. Happy camper ever since.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Jamis Dakar XC Comp
    Jamis Quest
    Selle Italia Ldy Gel saddles

mtbr member
    i took the elixers off my stumpy and put them in the toilet where they belong. went with hope and couldn't be happier.
    on a side note, the bb7's on my dirt roadie are awesome.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Candidate : BB7 mechanical system

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I feel your pain. Had Avid Elixir 3 on mine. swapped them out with Hope X2 Evo and couldnt be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You can get the new xt brakes without rotors for $200 from jenson usa.

One Gear
    Get the shop to contact Avid about warranty replacement. Hopefully you can get a replacement set and sell them.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have heard Magura is very good. As stated the other guy i ride with has the Hope system and has not bled the brakes in 5 years!. My other neighbor uses the BB7 mechanical on his single speed rigid and he swears by them (after having numerous mtn bikes from full suspension to his now single speed rigid) Just looked up the XTR's and read a few reviews that are still, similar to my constant horror story. I am not exaggerating, i have to have either the front OR back bled every other week. It is simply Ridiculous! Just replaced my rear brake pad this past week prior to riding Teaberry (terro of teaberry-mucheux series) and the back was fine. Rode Frderick, md Watershed yesterday. got 5 miles in and NO rear brakes. I was simply just pissed!. I finished off the 15 mile ride having to just be careful with the front brakes on some of the technical downhill stuff, but it is just frustrating because i love get out and ride. I ride fast and very aggressive, the technical stuff i eat up. It is hard to train for events when your equipment constantly shits out on you. Thanks for all the help to everyone. I will just have to make a choice in regards to sticking with hydraulic OR going mechanical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    SLX, XT, XTR. Take your choice. They all have the same braking power and weigh pretty close to one another. Pick whichever one meets your $ to bling ratio and live happy.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I'm not defending elixir, as I have had some issues, but the pistons not engaing is really strange. I have had the pistons not retreating with a change of pads but that is an easy fix with just letting some fuild out of the caliper. For a piston to seize so that it wont come out under pressure from the lever is wierd. Did it happen mid ride after working perfectly? I am tempted to suggest they are faulty under warrantee or not bled properly.

mtbr member
    Time to call Avid..they will/should help you.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    i got my xtr trail brakes here...$373 for the set

Shimano XTR Trail BR-M985 + BL-M988 Scheibenbrems-Set
    Last edited by skyak; 12-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I'm not defending elixir, as I have had some issues, but the pistons not engaing is really strange. I have had the pistons not retreating with a change of pads but that is an easy fix with just letting some fuild out of the caliper. For a piston to seize so that it wont come out under pressure from the lever is wierd. Did it happen mid ride after working perfectly? I am tempted to suggest they are faulty under warrantee or not bled properly.
    Exactly why this is getting ridiculous. A lot of the research i have done resulting in commonalities is exactly what you stated. That the pistons do not retract and the quick fix is to unscrew the bleed screw to let about a drop of fluid out OR to use WD40 OR gt85 and the pistons will usually 'break' free and retract. My case is that both the front and rear pistons have been seizing in the recessed position constantly, resulting in constant brake bleeding procedures. When i went to ride Teaberry, i replaced my rear pad before the ride. (No rubbing and the brakes seemed to be fine during the ride) Rode Watershed yesterday with a few friends and the rear simply crapped out and i had nothing, the pistons were not engaging out at all. This happens FREQUENTLY between both the front and rear. The front had to be bled just two weeks ago BECAUSE the pistons were seized in the recessed position and i had no front brakes. This week, it is my back brake. "shits getting old"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I started biking last year and I will share that the Elixirs initially soured me on MTB.

I now am using XT's and after fixing (upgrading) a few other parts am now happily in a steady relationship with MTB.

SRAM would not warranty my brakes as they basically wanted to me to sink a bunch of money into repairing the brakes before they would help. Not worth spending $60 to rebuild a caliper and hope that the sticky pistons wouldn't resurface...along with lever issues.

mtbr member
    No probs with the XTs. They're also super silent, so you can brake like a ninja!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had some Stock Hayes brakes on a Kona a few years back. They constantly gave problems so eventually I upgraded to Hope Mini at the start of 2008. I still have them on my spare bike and they are still going well. They probably were bled once a year and occasionally needed new pads but I've been very happy with them. When you've been used to hassle, it's a good feeling when you get something that works well. I've had Hope X2 evo on my new bike since Feb this year and they are even better. I've had one pad replacement so far and i ride dirty conditions quite often. Reccommended.

MTB B'dos
    Have had the same experience with the Avids on several riding buds bike, from Elixir 3s to XX, all have given trouble ( that's 7 bikes with them). I had Juicy7s, they weren't fantastic, but I never had to be constantly bleeding them or having issues like these, don't know WTF happened. Guys have left their bikes sitting for a few weeks, come back to ride it and as said, BRAKES are locked onto the rotors. Only advice I give people when they come to me now with problems on Avids is to tell them to replace them with Shimano SLX or XTs. As to contacting Avid, yeah, they'll maybe say they need warrantying, and then tell you to contact your shop to get it done, so if you live somewhere without a local Avid/SRAM dealer you $hit out of luck.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like it's time to wave the white flag and move on to something else.

On my friend's bikes I've seen numerous hydro brakes fail, squeek constantly, need constant bleeding ot adjustments etc.

This is why I've stuck to my trusty ol' BB7. They hardly require any maintenance. I never worry about them, They always work. I can adjust them myself if I need to, no mess.

I've been tempted to get new brakes because I hear glowing reviews of xt/xtr disc brakes, but then I hear horror stories too and I'm not sure I want to deal with that.

Seriously, if you want some brakes that work all of the time, you mostly xc/trail ride you can't go wrong with BB7. They have more than enough stopping power, they are cheaper than hydro, and are more worry free.

Sorry to hear of your pain, hope you settle it all out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a SJ and hated the brakes. I ride in MD and my trail has a couple of creak crossing, as soon as they're wet, everyone knows I'm out riding.

I have XT on my new bike and love them, not a sound out of them.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 12-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I like taking breaks, I typically only do so when I am tired though.

As far as my BRAKES, yes I have Elixir's as well and they aren't all that great.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    I like taking breaks, I typically only do so when I am tired though.

As far as my BRAKES, yes I have Elixir's as well and they aren't all that great.
    That's what happens when you have work on one monitor and forums on another.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Are you bleeding them yourself of getting a shop to do it?

I had a similar issue with my Elixir CR on my Epic. I had to pump the brakes three times before it would fully apply on one ride which led to some sketchy downhills.

I finally took them in to a shop to get fixed. The problem wasn't the bleeding, but a part of the brake that needed replacing. The shop had a few of the required spare part as Avid sent a bunch out to shops for warranty issues (can't remember what it was called - maybe something to do with barrel??). They didn't charge me for the part even though it wasn't the shop I'd bought the bike in. They just charging me for the labor which was like $15.

That was over a year ago and they are still running like they were bled yesterday.
    Last edited by mbco1975; 12-03-2012 at 07:50 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Get the shop to get you replacements. Take them and put them on ebay. Buy anything else.

My new xts have been 100% trouble free. The pads NEVER drag on the rotor. Which is amazing to me because during years of using avids I constantly had issues with the pistons sticking or not extending equally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    In the same boat with my Elixer 3's. Very very noisy and not confidence inspiring.

I'm considering the XTs for $200 for F/R set from jenson or hayes prime expert for $210 for F/R set from pricepoint. Both have great reviews, and am not sure what to go with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast