mtbr member
    Mar 2013

9mm qr convertible to either 9 or 15 through axel?

So, I am looking to upgrade my suntour fork that came stock with my 2012 Giant Rainier. It is the women's version of the Talon and has pretty much the same specs other than the WSD design. Since this is an entry level bike, I would not want to invest too much on it but would like to upgrade enough to make riding it decent. This is my first season riding in the Colorado Front Range and the trails can be somewhat unforgiving for the stock 100mm travel suntour. I've done the research and consulted people who know more about bikes and have narrowed down my selection to either the 2013 Manitou Tower Pro with 9mm qr or the 2013 Suntour Epicon X1 RL lite with 15mm Qlock. Both are good value for the price with the Manitou at around 290 (on prodeal) and the Epicon at an ultra cheap price of 209 on amazon/ebay.

Now, my issue is--if and when I do decide to upgrade my fork would it be wise to scrap my old wheelset and upgrade that too? My bike comes equipped with Giant's S-XC2 29er wheelset with a 9mm qr which I think will be compatible with the manitou but performancewise, will I be best served upgrading to the 15/20mm through axel? Are there conversion kits available to convert a 9mm qr to either a 9/15/20mm through axel? Or would a hub change be required for these wheelsets? Can I just upgrade the front or should I get both front and back? I am trying to get the cost to a minimum since I am thinking of upgrading to a fs next season and would just want to get this guy working well enough to serve me well for this season's riding.

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A couple routes with short and longer term costs.
    For cheap you could most likely drill out the 5mm endcaps of your existing front wheel hub to accept a Dt RWS 9mm thru-bolt.
    A light front wheel and tire together with the light(3+lb) higher quality fork you want(Suntour oem is 5.8lbs) will make your ride a completely different bike. You could skip the rear unless you find an exceptional deal. Pick a hub with changeable endcaps so you can use it ion future bikes. ZTR, Hope, Hadley, Dt and other hubs can have changeable caps. No manufacturer supplies a quality wheelset, even like an ArchEx, with bikes priced less than $4k.
    Your fork choice and wheelset could go on a fs frameset in a year. Collect a few other parts as deals come up and you can get a great bike-- your own build. Put the stock parts back on your current bike and sell it.

mtbr member
    I'd either get a new hub or look into drilling the old hub. I recently upgraded my front wheel after taco-ing it and went with the Hope hub and flow rim. At the same time I upgraded from the QR to the 9mm thru. Pretty amazed at the difference. My Reba RLT is way stiffer and seems to track much better in the curves and turns. This in turn inspires me to be even more aggressive. I've heard the Reba is noodly but I had no idea. Huge difference.

Also as EB1888 said, the new front wheel is about a pound lighter than my old wheelset which really makes a difference as well.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't be "modificating" stuff. Get a new wheel/fork combo....or better yet - new bike.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"