mtbr member

9 speed cassette options

Hello,

I looking into changing a 9 speed cassette. I found an XT CS-M770 for 55$ new. I think this is a good price. Anything better and lighter in that price range?

Thanks

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Weight is strongly affected by teeth count. A 12/36 will weigh a fair bit more than an 11/30. Regardless $55 is good. Be careful about the 4 arm carrier version of that cassette. I hear some are bending the big cog. I got an SLX instead as it has a 5 arm carrier.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    You completely confused me there. 4 or 5 arm carrier? How do I tell what I need and what version I'm ordering? I have no clue what is 4 or 5 arm carrier.

Thks

turtles make me hot
    When you look at the three largest cogs, is it mounted on 5 arms or 4? The 5 is stronger.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    LyNx is right, he's always right.
    Last edited by the-one1; 04-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.

psycho cyclo addict
    That is definitely a good price... assuming shipping is reasonable or free.

MTB B'dos
    WRONG! The 4 arm spider is used for the 32-11 version and the 5 arm spider is used for the 34-11 version. Also the 32-11 only has 5 cogs pinned to the carrier while the 34-11 has 6, although on this point could be confusing it with the SRAM PG990 cassettes, but definitely the 4 vs 5 arm is right. $55 is an excellent price.

The One, again, stop posting if you don't know WTF you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    4 arm was the cs-m760 XT. 5 arm is the cs-m770 xt
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Iím trying to find out what difference between 4 and 5-arm and the noob in me cannot tell the difference. I have a Shimano HG61 12x36, 9-Speed on my stock wheels. is that 4 or 5-arm? Does anybody have a video somewhere that demonstrates the difference?

MTB B'dos
    That's neither, that is 9 stamped cogs pinned together AFAIK, it's their cheapest cassette with a 36 tooth cog. In XT, you will only be able to get a 34-11 in 9spd AFAIK, although some advertise bikes with XT-9spd 36-11, but I think they're miss-representing the cassette which is not actually XT level. You want the 5 arm spider version, trust us, not the 4, cogs get bent on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
    Iím trying to find out what difference between 4 and 5-arm and the noob in me cannot tell the difference. I have a Shimano HG61 12x36, 9-Speed on my stock wheels. is that 4 or 5-arm? Does anybody have a video somewhere that demonstrates the difference?
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Is the XT CS-M770Size: 11x34 a 4 or a 5-arm because itís not mentioned anywhere as an option for one or the other?

MTB B'dos
    Take a look down this page for the CS-M760 cassette, has all specs, well except if it's 4 or 5 arm spider and for that I can assuredly tel you the 34-11 uses a 5 arm alu spider. Also in now looking back at that doc it confirms that the 32-11 only has 5 cogs pinned to the spider and the 34=-11 has 6.
    Is the XT CS-M770Size: 11x34 a 4 or a 5-arm because itís not mentioned anywhere as an option for one or the other?
    Last edited by LyNx; 04-03-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: brain fart, to change HUB to CASSETTE
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The document Lynx is refering you to shows the cassette you want to buy. However he's telling you to look up the hub instead of the cassette. Look up CS m770 instead and you'll see what he meant. The pictures show the carrier for the 32 tooth version having 4 arms and the carrier for the 34 tooth version having 5 arms, just like he said.

Like Lynx also said, the 11/34 version has a 5 arm carrier. The carrier is a block of aluminum that the cogs are attached to. Since aluminum is lighter than steel, the cassette is lighter than an all steel version. My lower budget SLX cassette has only 3 cogs attached to the carrier, the XT has 5 or 6 depending on the model.

Drew
    Last edited by dru; 04-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    occasional cyclist

reading comprehension wat
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830625614.pdf

While I can't see how many arms there are, I can see the pins on the front to confirm # of arms. aQ group 11-32, as group 11-34.

Are you look at CRC? $55 is a very good price for a XT level cassette, comparable to the SRAM 990. People are just saying, make sure you get the 11-34 version, since it has the 5 arm carrier that isn't known to have an issue. I gotta say, 9 speed is much cheaper than 10 speed stuff.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    OK then the XT CS-M770 34T was the one I was looking at so I,m all good. Thanks for schooling me on this. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    So I got the XT CS-M770 11-34 from Bikenashbar.com for $69 with shipping. Also ordered a set of Arch EX 29er for $416 all in from Bikebling. That makes for a cheap upgrade! Now I need a set of Ashima Airotor from Ebay to complete my upgrade.

ballbuster
    So I got the XT CS-M770 11-34 from Bikenashbar.com for $69 with shipping. Also ordered a set of Arch EX 29er for $416 all in from Bikebling. That makes for a cheap upgrade! Now I need a set of Ashima Airotor from Ebay to complete my upgrade.
    I got Airotors on two of my bikes. THey work well, but they can glaze fairly easily, although for some reason, I don't seem to lose any braking power from overheating. Also, they do wear kinda fast, and they make your pads wear kinda fast compared to regular rotors with more braking track area and less 'air'.

BTW, I'm 210 pounds and ride a lot of steep stuff. I'm running 160mm rotors all the way around.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by savoyjfas View Post
    I have no clue what is 4 or 5 arm carrier.
    Hopefully you can count.

Flip a cassette over - or view it from the non-drive side of your bicycle. Count the arms. Simple as that. 4 arms? 5 arms? 6 arms? 8 arms? How many does it have?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....I count 5 arms on this one. (Those red things are "arms" for this illustration.)

img

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6....I count 6 arms on this one (Dura Ace). The type of cassette here is different much like XTR cassettes or Titanium cassettes, but that's an entirely other discussion. The larger cogs are still mounted on "arms" so to speak that you can count for this exercise.

SH35130

If we followed suit and counted one that was....

1, 2, 3, 4....it would be a "4 arm" cassette.

Pictures paint a 1000 words, don't they?
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    I finally got the XT RT76 ordered with the wheel set. They cost me only $34 each with the rebate and the free shipping. At that price it was not worth paying less. Stopping power is better than saving a few grams and losing teeth.

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for that little bit of education Bruce, never knew there were any cassettes that used 6 arms, didn't know the 27-12 DuraAce was like that, pretty cool. Show me someone who bends a cog on that sucker and you know they can put down some power OR shift like shite
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Thanks for that little bit of education Bruce, never knew there were any cassettes that used 6 arms, didn't know the 27-12 DuraAce was like that, pretty cool. Show me someone who bends a cog on that sucker and you know they can put down some power OR shift like shite
    True.

Most using DuraAce are light enough in body weight (at least I'd like to think so if they are paying the huge entry fee for the weight weenie DuraAce) to not have to worry. Supposedly, the 6 arm design reduces weight while increasing stiffness on those light weight road cassettes.

On a side note, I like the looks of the General Lee Cassette Adapter as well if one is looking for a wider range on a 10 speed cassette...

First Look: General Lee Wide-Range Cassette Adapter - Pinkbike

I'm sure we'll have cheaper alternatives for wider range cassettes than the XX1 coming within the year. It would, however, be nice to have some wider ranges available in 9, 10 and 11 speed. But I guess that limits the company's intent of having everyone upgrade derailleurs, shifters, chains, crank rings and would be too easy and nice for the rest of us.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

MTB B'dos
    Meah Personally I see 1x setups as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist 2x setups work just fine and a 22-36 low gear is so frikin low, even on a 29er that to pedal that you have to have some damn good balance to not tip over from going so slow. IMHO there's a fine balance to how low to go, as the fact is that if you go to low you spend too much energy keeping yourself upright instead of concentrating on going forward, you need a certain ratio where turning the pedals actually helps you balance. Heck I'm still riding a 24-32low gear and only rarely on 20%+ grades do my quads beg for maybe a 34 granny cog or 22 granny ring and I'm pedaling a 34lb bike.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    On a side note, I like the looks of the General Lee Cassette Adapter as well if one is looking for a wider range on a 10 speed cassette...
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids