Stumblebum

80 -> 100mm conversion 2011 RockShox Tora TK 29 SL

I got a 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er as my first mountain bike last summer. Loving it. As I'm getting better, I find that I'm starting to bottom the forks more frequently. I'll probably upgrade to the blue / firm springs soon (I'm ~180 lbs).

While I'm at it, I know that some of the Tora forks can be converted from 80-100-120mm by messing with an internal spacer. Does anybody know if my "RockShox Tora TK 29 SL" can be modified this way? If so, I think I'd like to take it to 100mm. I don't think the 20mm will affect the steering geometry too drastically, although I know it will void the warranty.

From the SRAM catalog, the part I'm looking at is: 11.4015.481.110 Spring/Shaft, Firm, Blue, 100mm - 2011 tora tK (includes spring, shaft, shaft bolt)

Lots of good info in this thread:
    Rock Shox Tora TK - how does it compare?

So has anyone done the 80-100mm conversion on this fork? If so, how did it go?

mtbr member
    this may not help but be careful of the spring you buy. i purchased one and it was wrong. it's really hard to find.

my '11 TK was 100mm so i'd imagine it's convertible by REMOVING a spacer not Adding. again don't quote me.

the geo will change quite a bit
    - Your Head tube angle will be more slack (slowing the steering a bit)
    - Your Bottom Bracket will be slightly higher.
    - Wheelbase will be a tiny bit longer

never know, it could work out for the better - Good luck!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by n8henrie View Post
    I got a 2011 Rockhopper Expert 29er as my first mountain bike last summer. Loving it. As I'm getting better, I find that I'm starting to bottom the forks more frequently. I'll probably upgrade to the blue / firm springs soon (I'm ~180 lbs).

While I'm at it, I know that some of the Tora forks can be converted from 80-100-120mm by messing with an internal spacer. Does anybody know if my "RockShox Tora TK 29 SL" can be modified this way? If so, I think I'd like to take it to 100mm. I don't think the 20mm will affect the steering geometry too drastically, although I know it will void the warranty.

From the SRAM catalog, the part I'm looking at is: 11.4015.481.110 Spring/Shaft, Firm, Blue, 100mm - 2011 tora tK (includes spring, shaft, shaft bolt)

Lots of good info in this thread:
    Rock Shox Tora TK - how does it compare?

So has anyone done the 80-100mm conversion on this fork? If so, how did it go?
    Download the manual from the RockShox website. It will explain and show the conversion process if that model can be converted. It's not hard with some of their other forks (REBA for example), but you need to read and watch the process (video's available as well).

BB

Stumblebum
    I've got all the manuals I can find, but my problem is that they don't really refer to the Tora 29er as any different than the regular (I assume it actually is different, though I could be wrong here). Much less the "Tora TK 29 SL," so I have a hard time decided which sets of directions I should follow. Is there another name / number I could use to match up my fork with the manuals? What does the SL stand for anyway? I assume TK is turn-key.

Stumblebum
    I called SRAM today to get the "official" word, and their voice machine makes it sound like they don't do direct customer support (told me to just call my LBS if I wasn't a dealer). I'd like like to get the official word since it looks like parts changes in 2011 make the 2011 Tora incompatible with parts from the previous Tora models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's a thread in the Jamis sub-forum, titled "jamis Exile 2", that mentions how to do this. I don't have enough posts to be able to post a link, but it looks like I can quote from the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy0000 View Post
    Hello Found out by accident that the tora tk is adjustable, you remove the spring assembly and on the lower aluminum post there are 3 holes for 80,100,120 setting, remove pin, move post to desired height and replace pin. reinstall spring assembly. pretty cool.
    I found that by adding length to the shock travel the motion control can do it's job better and I don't need the firmer spring now. It's has a red spring, was thinking about blue.
    I hope this is helpful.

Stumblebum
    Nice, thanks for the find! The thread in question: jamis Exile 2

Stumblebum
    This thread also says same springs for the 26 / 29": Tora TK 29er stiffer springs?