mtbr member

700 X 34 Hutchinson Bulldog CX tires on WTB All Mountain 29 Speed Disc rims

In case anyone cares, I just mounted 700 X 34 Hutchinson Bulldog CX tires on WTB All Mountain 29 Speed Disc rims. I used the Gorilla Tape (one time around) and old tube valve method with Stan's sealant to make it tubeless. The tires are about 380 - 390 grams each. The size is just right, IMO, for commuting. I test mounted the rear without sealant and I couldn't get it back off the bead, so I ended up having to inject sealant through the valve hole with a small syringe. The valves don't have removable cores, but the rims are drilled for Shrader, so I was able to squirt the sealant past the valve stem through the extra space. Not being able to get the tire off the bead was pretty frustrating, but I feel pretty confident that it isn't going to pop off while I am riding. I guess I will just cut the tire off when I am done with it. I added sealant to the front before I popped it on the bead, and it sealed up nicely. I rode this setup to work this morning and could tell the difference in weight and steering characteristics vs. the WTB Prowlers (setup with Stan's strips). Weight is less. Steering is faster. Only traction difference I noticed was that the Bulldog on the front "knifes" into the loose gravel and sand more than the Prowler did, which is to be expected because of the width difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you gotta use the center channel to get tires off those rims. make sure you work the bead into the center channel the whole way around before you attempt to remove the tire. but yeah they are tight even with fullsize tires i'd imagine with a corss tire it is even worse.