Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,005

    680mm vs 700mm handle bar

    It looks like the aftermarket is full of 680 mm carbon bars but barely impossible to find 700mm ones. My F29 comes with a 7075 700mm bar I'd like to swap right away with a CF one.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,384
    Is there a question?

    my experience has been that a 680mm bar will be roughly 20mm narrower than a 700.
    You could easily just slide everything in by 10mm and see if you're ok with it before committing to a 680mm bar.

    or, you know...
    Universal Cycles -- Answer ProTaper Carbon AM Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Control Tech Venom Carbon Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Crank Brothers Iodine 11 Carbon Handlebar
    Universal Cycles -- Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar 2013
    Universal Cycles -- ENVE Composites Mountain Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Race Face SIXC Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Ritchey WCS Trail Carbon Rizer Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Syntace Vector Riser Bar


    ok, I'm bored of looking for carbon bars wider than 700mm, there are a bunch.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Is there a question?

    my experience has been that a 680mm bar will be roughly 20mm narrower than a 700.
    You could easily just slide everything in by 10mm and see if you're ok with it before committing to a 680mm bar.

    or, you know...
    Universal Cycles -- Answer ProTaper Carbon AM Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Control Tech Venom Carbon Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Crank Brothers Iodine 11 Carbon Handlebar
    Universal Cycles -- Easton Haven Carbon Riser Bar 2013
    Universal Cycles -- ENVE Composites Mountain Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Race Face SIXC Riser Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Ritchey WCS Trail Carbon Rizer Bar
    Universal Cycles -- Syntace Vector Riser Bar


    ok, I'm bored of looking for carbon bars wider than 700mm, there are a bunch.
    Yes,sorry it is,I've forgot to post the actual question.

    Will I feel any difference with a 680 bar over a 700 one ?? And possibly 0 to maximum 5° rise. I'll have a look at those links,thanks for posting
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,074
    You could get a 720mm. bar or wider, try it out, then slide the grips in to get a feel for the narrower width and if it's too wide cut it down to taste. They all mostly come with width marks painted on them. They are usually approved to be cut.

    I've got an Easton carbon 685mm. on one bike and a Answer ProTaper carbon 720mm. on another. I prefer the Answer.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,513
    I just ordered the new Race Face Next wide flat bar (they call it the 1/4 rise) for my 29er which I believe is 720mm.

  6. #6
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    It looks like the aftermarket is full of 680 mm carbon bars but barely impossible to find 700mm ones. My F29 comes with a 7075 700mm bar I'd like to swap right away with a CF one.
    Like others have suggested, there are plenty of 710-720mm bars out there.

    I'd get something like the Answer Pro Taper 720mm one. Try it at 720 first, it is very likely that you will not even want to cut it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  7. #7
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Yes,sorry it is,I've forgot to post the actual question.

    Will I feel any difference with a 680 bar over a 700 one ?? And possibly 0 to maximum 5° rise. I'll have a look at those links,thanks for posting
    with a 680mm bar you will have no MTBR fashion cred. with a 700mm bar voila instant MTBR fashion cred and instead of being XC you can be all - like all-mountain gnar - core.

    Glad i could help
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: allthatisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    156
    I don't know If the bar has to be carbon, but I found this bar from Performance:

    Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

    It's as light as a lot of the carbon bars out there, and the price...

    I'm going to pick one up tomorrow for my new titanium hardtail ;-)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,074
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    I don't know If the bar has to be carbon, but I found this bar from Performance:

    Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

    It's as light as a lot of the carbon bars out there, and the price...

    I'm going to pick one up tomorrow for my new titanium hardtail ;-)
    I've had nothing but carbon composite bars on my bikes for, it must be 12 years, so I'm not sure if this is an empirical fact but the consensus is that carbon has vibration damping properties that aluminum doesn't have. It's worth trying for the width though.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: allthatisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I've had nothing but carbon composite bars on my bikes for, it must be 12 years, so I'm not sure if this is an empirical fact but the consensus is that carbon has vibration damping properties that aluminum doesn't have. It's worth trying for the width though.
    I've only had a carbon bar on a mountain bike once, and it wasn't really apparent to me that the "vibration damping" was as effective as the price warranted. YMMV though... Not even roadies really agree that carbon bars and stems are as effective as a good pair of gloves and tape... And on a road bike you're in a fairly fixed position with constant pressure and a lot of road buzz, and no suspension. Plus, on mtn bikes there's always the possibility of hitting tress, obstacles, etc. with the bars... Then there is crashing. Of course this is all conjecture, but given that Forte bar, you could buy 7 or 8 of them compared to most carbon bars that don't save much, if any weight.

    Put the money toward a better wheelset or front shock. But, it's still your money, and I'm just a dude with an opinion. ;-)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    I don't know If the bar has to be carbon, but I found this bar from Performance:

    Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

    It's as light as a lot of the carbon bars out there, and the price...

    I'm going to pick one up tomorrow for my new titanium hardtail ;-)
    Let us know how you like it, seems really light for Al. Some carbon are heavier at that size.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: allthatisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Let us know how you like it, seems really light for Al. Some carbon are heavier at that size.
    Will do!. I plan to pair the bar (assuming it looks as good in person) with my favorite grips, the Specialized Enduro XL's:

    Specialized Bicycle Components

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skitchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Let us know how you like it, seems really light for Al. Some carbon are heavier at that size.
    I've been running that bar on my Rumblefish for a couple of months now and I've decided I like it. I had an Easton CF riser that was a nice, light bar, but IMO too high and narrow for me. I picked up the Forte bar because it was really inexpensive($29.00 on sale) and reasonably light(220g actual). I also picked up a shorter(80mm) Easton Haven stem from Jenson for $49.00 and now have a set up that works better all the way around.

    I feel the lower/wider/shorter combo makes it easier to hammer out of the seat and gives better all-around control but especially in techy stuff.

    If I rode with a rigid fork I would probably want a CF bar/seatpost, but right now the suspension does well enough.

    Plus I don't have to worry about replacing a $120 - $160 part(with no moving parts) if I pick a bad line and smack something sharp and hard, which I've been known to do.
    maladroitus extraordinairus

  14. #14
    Prime
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,950
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    with a 680mm bar you will have no MTBR fashion cred. with a 700mm bar voila instant MTBR fashion cred and instead of being XC you can be all - like all-mountain gnar - core.

    Glad i could help
    My second smile of the day, thanks, gotta love some wise assery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •