Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

650b on a 29er?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  locobaylor 
#1 ·
Any reason you can't put a 650b rear wheel on a 29er for additional weight savings? Would it throw off the geometry or alignment enough to make a significant difference? Or would the weight savings/resistance savings not make enough of a difference to consider it?

#2 ·
Wouldn't your theory extend to a 650b frame being even lighter because theoretically the chainstays would be shorter as would the fork legs? Don't see the point of putting 650b wheels on a 29er. And this is the real kicker, you are probably not light enough or strong enough to really benefit from the savings.

#5 ·
Well, all things the same, wouldn't a smaller wheel mean less weight? And it's not a theory, just a question. And what does my weight or strength have anything to do with the price of tea in China?
Saying that I wouldn't benefit from the savings means that there would be savings, yes? Just asking if the juice is worth the squeeze from people that may have done it, not from those that seem to take umbrage with the thought of doing it.

#3 ·
Posted lots of bits on this. Love my Stumpy 29er FSR with a 275 out back since last year.

Yes, it did change the geo. Lowered the BB and slacked out the front a bit. Perfect. I really like low BBs.

I didn't do it for weight but rather to stiffen up the rear end. The geo is better. Its more drivetrain friendly as well. If a dedicated B-niner existed I'd give it serious thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.