Thread: 45mm rims

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

45mm rims

Just heard from Velocity that they've got some 45mm rims in the works for next spring. I've been trying to get the scoop on Rabbit Hole rims, but it seems like they'll only come with a frameset purchase (lame) and very questionable limited quantities. Glad there will be another option for wide 700c rims, hopefully soon.

mtbr member
    Syntace has some 40mm rims coming out, but I haven't seen if they'll be only available in wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    QBP shows an ETA for the rabbit hole rim of 12/5. They don't say they are offered only with a frameset. That velocity rim sounds good for most 29ers, especially if it is tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    kdiddy - I've heard that from one bike shop here, but others are telling me that frameset purchase is required. On bikeman.com, saying the same thing. Hope that's not the case, but not holding my breath. I've already got the hub, so getting a bit antsy.

mtbr member
    Hard to find but Snowcat Rims are 44mm wide and come in 29"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've heard there will be Rabbit Hole's available on 12/5. That was a couple days back, but from a super-reliable source. Now, I doubt there are a large number of Hole's available, but there will be some that are no bike required. Have you already talked to Jeff Jones yet? Last I heard he expected to get some. Now, from earlier mentioned source, the Knard tire is not expected until early Jan. in the 120tpi and March in the 27tpi. Riders would simply have to use regular 29 options with the Hole until the Knard comes out. Now maybe this has all changed, and you have more recent information than I have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got one on order from a local shop. They SAY that they can get me one, but not banking on it for now. I also emailed Jeff and he's supposed to let me know if it becomes available. I've already got the front hub. My diamond frame won't be here for another month anyway, so I got time.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I've got one on order from a local shop. They SAY that they can get me one, but not banking on it for now. I also emailed Jeff and he's supposed to let me know if it becomes available. I've already got the front hub. My diamond frame won't be here for another month anyway, so I got time.

Thanks for the info.
    I think I'm beginning to understand your quandary. It's not that there will be no Rabbit Holes available on Dec. 5th. It's that you want a rim to build yourself? Not get one built from, say, Jeff? I say this because I've heard there will be some rims released, but maybe not so many that people will be willing to let go of them unless they build the wheel for you. I get the impression that even folks with solid ties to Surly are not going to get that many rims. Here's my point: If the rims actually are released on 12/5, I'm betting you can find someone to build you the wheel if you sent them the hub. If you simply want the rim, yeah, you might have a tough time.

We'll see though. 12/5 is almost here. Maybe you'll be surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, I'll have to see what the deal is in a couple of days. Worst case scenario, I'll wait until the next batch or Velocity comes out with their rim. Although it would be a shame to see the Jones all built up, hanging in the garage, wheel-less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How about Kris Holm's 29er rim, 47mm wide and 795g? I've been running it with Paul Whub for 3 years.

Kris Holm Unicycles - Rims
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    angry bee - do you know of a good source for the rim? That sounds like a good option as well.

Side note: someone neg repped me for my first post? Doesn't even make sense. This repping with no accountability is getting out of hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey phsycle, here it is:
    Kris Holm 29-inch Freeride Rim
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    angrybee - thanks for the link. I think the only problem is that they're 36 hole. I wish they came in 32 hole. My Paul hub is 32.

And thanks for the make up rep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've checked with several bike shops and no go on Rabbit Hole or Velocity rims. Anyone else hear any different?

...Side note: someone neg repped me for my first post? Doesn't even make sense. This repping with no accountability is getting out of hand.
    Surprised to find out it was mikesee, the wheel builder that I was going to have build up the RH or Velocity. Gee, thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've checked with several bike shops and no go on Rabbit Hole or Velocity rims. Anyone else hear any different?

Surprised to find out it was mikesee, the wheel builder that I was going to have build up the RH or Velocity. Gee, thanks.
    Phsycle, I hear the dates have been changed dramatically for release by QBP. I haven't heard of anyone who got the RH rims either. FYI. I've been getting my information from mikesee.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    One bike shop said Jan 7th. But I don't believe them...

I was super jealous of whoever got this wheel:

New Wheel Build | Jones Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One bike shop said Jan 7th. But I don't believe them...

I was super jealous of whoever got this wheel:

New Wheel Build | Jones Bikes
    Did you get your bike from Jones yet? What is he telling you about how many rims he has? Yeah, QBP lists the rim for 1/7 and the tire for sometime mid-March. I've learned to believe it when I see it when it comes to dates for new products. Must just be so difficult for the companies to do anything but guesstimate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Jones frame will be here next Wed.

Jeff says he won't have any RH until March.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Jones frame will be here next Wed.

Jeff says he won't have any RH until March.
    Well, I've seen at least 3 RH wheelsets on his blog that he's built up for people. Just talking out loud, but I wonder how many he got and when he got them. He seems to be the only person I've seen with any number of rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm guessing he got a few and sold them with his complete bike builds. He said he didn't have any currently available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mulinjohe View Post
    They don't say they are offered only with a frameset.
    I think the OP was saying that the Rabbit Hole rims were going to have limited availability for the original 12/5 release date. There have been rumors that the few rims that would be released would be hard to come by at first. That maybe even Surly was going to give preference to those who bought framesets, at least until the Rabbit Hole could be made more readily available. The new release date for the Rabbit Hole is 1/7, but there remain lingering questions as to in what quantity and to whom. There are still questions as to when the Krampus bike will be out. It would be nice if Surly cleared it up on their website, but they might not even be sure as of yet.