mtbr member
    Sep 2011

42/28 or 39/26 chainring ????

hi.... i ride specialized XC epic with 38/24 chainrings and used 24 normally on hills and dificult trails but i feel is too small for me and 39 is too much ... then when i going on flat field i used 38 but same i feel i need more chainring.. i m not a pro but I like to do much effort...i m not sure about which is better to me... or not much difference!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The great thing about cranks is you can mix and match chainring sizes to fit your riding style/local terrain. Although expensive, you can buy a few different chainrings and expiriment with different sizes. Not sure how much clearance the epic has, but you need to make sure the larger ring doesn't rub the chainstay. For example, my frame recommends no larger then a 39.

Another option, if your a strong rider...you may want to consider a 1x setup for simplicity and the added bonus of less weight. I just made the switch and extremely happy. I swap out between a 28 and 32 tooth on my xx1 crank depending on the trail I ride that day...but I'm not a fast/strong climber so I stick with the smaller chainrings for now. Im already noticing that by giving myself less options, I am forced to push harder, and in return, I'm becoming a stronger rider. Some guys can push a much larger ring uphill, wether standing and mashing or sitting and spinning....you'll have to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!