Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

34mm stanchion fork 140mm

Well I was all set on a Fox Float 34 set at 140mm, but to be honest I don't know the suspension market very well. I was hoping to get some input and advice on a new fork. I currently ride a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er which has a Fox Float 32 at 130mm. It feels a bit "noodly" at times and I would like a tad more travel(making the head angle slacker is a nice bonus). I'm fairly light at about 165lbs, but tend to ride on the aggressive side. I do trail/all-mountain riding and on occasion will do some lift-service downhill. I want to upgrade to 34mm stanchions with 140mm travel minimum. If the fork is black that is a nice bonus, I don't like how the Fox Float is white.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I run a F34 @ 140 on my Yeti SB95 that I picked up this last spring. There are really 3 things that can make a front end feel noodly.

1. Tube diameter (which the F34 takes care of)
    2. Axle size (I upgraded from standard QR to 15mm TA, massive upgrade here)
    3. Wheel stiffness (Get a Stans Flow, heavy but great and relatively inexpensive)

Any 1 of these 3 can make a front end feel noodly. My SB95 came with 1 and 2 but was lacking 3. I upgraded my rim and it all of a sudden tracked with laser precision.

Maintenance is a breeze on the F34, too.

mtbr member
    If you want to stick with black then you have 2 choices, or at least will soon...

Buy at Fox 34 Talas and replace the Talas air system with a Float air system (approx$100)

Wait for the X Fusion Slant to come available.
    X Fusion Shox - RL2 DLA

The Fox has Fox's reputation, and CTD compression adjust, mine has served me very well.

X Fusion will save you a few bucks and should be a worthy option. They're offering it in travel adjust as well. Lockout or open, no other compression adjustment though. They are working on a Uni Crown which is a one piece crown/steerer which should be lighter and stiffer, a definite plus! The damper is easier to service as well.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com View Post
    If you want to stick with black then you have 2 choices, or at least will soon...

Buy at Fox 34 Talas and replace the Talas air system with a Float air system (approx$100)

Wait for the X Fusion Slant to come available.
    X Fusion Shox - RL2 DLA

The Fox has Fox's reputation, and CTD compression adjust, mine has served me very well.

X Fusion will save you a few bucks and should be a worthy option. They're offering it in travel adjust as well. Lockout or open, no other compression adjustment though. They are working on a Uni Crown which is a one piece crown/steerer which should be lighter and stiffer, a definite plus! The damper is easier to service as well.
    Or simply get the coveted black Float 34 from the get-go. I love mine and didn't bother converting my first Talas 34, just sold it and got lucky finding a black Float.

2013 Fox 34 K Float 140 Fit ctd Adj Taper Black 29" OE Packaging | eBay

They seem like a reputable seller.

EvilRider
    Oct 2008

Fox 34 140

Let me start by saying that I am a DIEHARD RockShox fan !!!!
    That being said when purchasing my 29er there was no way I was going to use a 32mm on the front SOO ..... Reluctantly I got the FOX. WOW, what an awesome fork ! Super stiff w/15, buttery smooth and I love the sensitivity of the low speed compression and the lockout with sensitivy control. It is an awesome well rounded fork and I couldn't be happier . However because its so stiff it immeadiately brings to light ANY weakness in your wheel build . Ive ridden it from local trails and XC centers with the racer boys to full on DH runs at the parks and its been hucked plenty with the FR boys as well with zero complaints !! Just buy it you will not be sorry

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHillsRider View Post
    I run a F34 @ 140 on my Yeti SB95 that I picked up this last spring. There are really 3 things that can make a front end feel noodly.

1. Tube diameter (which the F34 takes care of)
    2. Axle size (I upgraded from standard QR to 15mm TA, massive upgrade here)
    3. Wheel stiffness (Get a Stans Flow, heavy but great and relatively inexpensive)

Any 1 of these 3 can make a front end feel noodly. My SB95 came with 1 and 2 but was lacking 3. I upgraded my rim and it all of a sudden tracked with laser precision.

Maintenance is a breeze on the F34, too.
    I believe my bike has a 20mm TA rear and a 15mm TA QR front. I'm also very interested in the little bit of extra travel and slacker head angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Or simply get the coveted black Float 34 from the get-go. I love mine and didn't bother converting my first Talas 34, just sold it and got lucky finding a black Float.

2013 Fox 34 K Float 140 Fit ctd Adj Taper Black 29" OE Packaging | eBay

They seem like a reputable seller.
    I have a very good relationship with my shop so I will be purchasing from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD442 View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am a DIEHARD RockShox fan !!!!
    That being said when purchasing my 29er there was no way I was going to use a 32mm on the front SOO ..... Reluctantly I got the FOX. WOW, what an awesome fork ! Super stiff w/15, buttery smooth and I love the sensitivity of the low speed compression and the lockout with sensitivy control. It is an awesome well rounded fork and I couldn't be happier . However because its so stiff it immeadiately brings to light ANY weakness in your wheel build . Ive ridden it from local trails and XC centers with the racer boys to full on DH runs at the parks and its been hucked plenty with the FR boys as well with zero complaints !! Just buy it you will not be sorry
    What bike are you running it on? Do you have the Talas or Float?

Are there any major differences between the Talas and Float other than .25lbs and the travel adjust?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post

I have a very good relationship with my shop so I will be purchasing from them.
    If you want a black Float 34, you buy from whoever has it and is willing to sell it, none of my LBS were willing to find me a black Float 34. Fox doesn't even sell black Floats to shops, they can only be stripped off a complete bike that a LBS is willing to sell.
    Are there any major differences between the Talas and Float other than .25lbs and the travel adjust?
    I've had both, and the Talas likes to stop working, it will either be stuck in the 110mm position or not drop the fork at all. And I've found my Float to be much smoother after the break-in period compared to the Talas.I'll never buy another Talas model, travel adjust is really pointless.

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    Its on a 2012 Transition Bandit and its the float model, I don't see the need for a TALAS unless you're living at the base of a mountain range .... even then, mehh.

Here's a link of it "working" in its natural environment

CatsPaw - YouTube

FWIW....Memorial Day weekend the lift broke down here, guess who was pedalling UP the mountain to get their runs in !!

EvilRider
    Oct 2008

@ #8

Good point on the TALAS although allegedly they have that fixed Seems like every brands settles in or releases or stops working to some degree. Ive found just throwing the propedal on the rear raises the platform and firms it up enough and if its extended climbing I just lock out the front anyways .

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a 34mm Blk Talas on my 2011 stumpy i use 110 for climbing and the 140 only in gnarly stuff. Its a awsome fork and the new CTD just works!!!
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm looking at getting a Fox 34 as well. I weigh 230, and I'm currently running a Marzocchi TST2 (32mm) at 140 travel. My whole bike is super-stiff, with the exception of the fork. It's not horrible or anything, but you can feel it when you hit the front brake, and in low-speed tech.

Another thing I like about the Fox 34 is the 51mm offset (the offset formerly known as G2). I'm running a slack HA which I love, but there is a bit more low-speed flop in the steering than I'd like and I think more fork offset might work out a little better for me.

Then again, it's hard to justify spending $800 on a fork I really don't need...I think I can hold off for a few more months.

EvilRider
    Oct 2008

@ Jackl

Hear you on the $$$, I'm 210lbs RTR FYI. I nose wheelied that fork bad on a highspeed jumpline this summer and I've touched it down ugly a couple of times of some sketchy drops and it was super impressive, both stiffness and compression-wise.Not as much as my trusted Lyrik but I can't believe what it will deal with !!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ok so it sounds like the Float 34 is definitely the way to go. I guess I could deal with the white if I had to. There is nothing from Rockshox's or someone else that competes with the Fox? Like a few others that price tag is hard to swallow. I was hoping to buy wheels too

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I was all set on a Fox Float 34 set at 140mm, but to be honest I don't know the suspension market very well. I was hoping to get some input and advice on a new fork. I currently ride a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29er which has a Fox Float 32 at 130mm. It feels a bit "noodly" at times and I would like a tad more travel(making the head angle slacker is a nice bonus). I'm fairly light at about 165lbs, but tend to ride on the aggressive side. I do trail/all-mountain riding and on occasion will do some lift-service downhill. I want to upgrade to 34mm stanchions with 140mm travel minimum. If the fork is black that is a nice bonus, I don't like how the Fox Float is white.
    I added one to my SJ and I loved what it did for the bike.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok so it sounds like the Float 34 is definitely the way to go. I guess I could deal with the white if I had to. There is nothing from Rockshox's or someone else that competes with the Fox? Like a few others that price tag is hard to swallow. I was hoping to buy wheels too
    At the moment, no. X-fusion's Trace 34mm should be out by spring if you can wait. In 26" land, they are generally viewed as on par with Fox in terms of stiffness and damping while costing a little less.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I wasn't aware of the upcoming X-Fusion 34 29er fork - thanks for pointing that out. I did a little surfing and Pinkbike listed the offset as 51mm. Certainly that will need to be verified when the fork is actually released. I think I'm going to wait until the Trace is released and see if it's any better than the Fox (or at least cheaper).

Trail Ninja
    I believe the newer Fox forks gained some stiffness through new lowers (identified by distinctive design on the front of the arch) and beefier crown/steerer units. It looks like the new lower design that they engineered with the 34 "trickled down" to most of the rest of their line up.

Left: newer design. Right: older design.

It's much easier to tell the difference between them in real life, in a side-by-side comparison between forks, particularly the difference in beefiness between crowns (don't forget to consider the underside of the crown too).

A fork could be noodly due to lack of support on the inside too, such as the contact points between the stanchions and lowers, which typically are handled by an upper and lower slotted bushing. A more secure contact point results in more stiffness, but can affect smoothness. Think back to how RockShox stiffened up their Reba from 2007 to beyond--they featured the PowerBulge, which I believe improved stiffness of one of their inner contact points (that bulge near where the upper bushing sits).

On that note, I'm curious how DVO is making their new inverted fork stiff. They have a forged 1 piece crown steerer unit, and showed a prototype with those fork shields being connected and acting like structural support, but I think a good portion of the magic is happening inside, maybe similar to Cannondale's new Lefty and Lefty Max.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 12-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Nuts
    I just swapped out my SC Tallboy Ltc for a Jet RDO now I'm sitting on a black float 34 and not sure if I should reduce the travel and run it at 120mm or swap it out for a 32. Not really sure if the difference in the A-C will make that big of difference. Anywhoo I might have one available sometime soon if I can find a 32 120mm reasonable.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I just swapped out my SC Tallboy Ltc for a Jet RDO now I'm sitting on a black float 34 and not sure if I should reduce the travel and run it at 120mm or swap it out for a 32. Not really sure if the difference in the A-C will make that big of difference. Anywhoo I might have one available sometime soon if I can find a 32 120mm reasonable.
    I'd keep it. There's a guy running a Fox 34 (with orange lowers) on an orange RDO.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Float 32 130mm that I believe can be reduced to 120mm.

Keep on Rockin...

Rock Shox....

When Rock Shox comes out with a 35mm stantion (like the Lyric), 20mm TA 29er fork - then I think the wad of cash dropped will get you get you a noticeably different fork. Until then, the penny per pound of performace ratio really sucks with the current lot of "upgrades".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm putting my 34 shimmed to 120 on my TBc. Why not? The AC distance difference is minimal.
    The weight difference is minimal also but it's a stiffer fork. Also if you go back to a long travel frame you can still use the same fork.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Trail Ninja
    Pics to illustrate what I was trying to say before, regarding the lowers and crown:

I wouldn't expect that SID to be very stiff compared to that F29 Float 32 (ICD). Stiffness ain't everything though.

The RockShox WorldCup/Blackbox carbon crown steerers are known to be flexier than their alloy versions too.

This place needs an enema
    I have a 32mm Fox, factory set at 130mm. Black, 15mm.

Or a RS Revelation set at 120. White, 20mm.

Wanna trade?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I have a 32mm Fox, factory set at 130mm. Black, 15mm.

Or a RS Revelation set at 120. White, 20mm.

Wanna trade?
    Might be interested in the Fox, shoot me a email with the details if you could.

Bdunahee69@yahoo.com
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast