Thread: 33T vs 34T

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

33T vs 34T

I am currently using a 34T for 1x10 setup, today I hand difficulties climbing 1km steep hill. I am thinking to purchase a 33T ring, because this is the smaller chain ring I could use with e.thirteen XCX chain guide.

Do you think it will make a big difference using a 33T in steep climb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is your rear cassette at 36? If so, you will note the following differences:

Gear Ratio: 0.944 to 0.917
    Gear Inches: 27.39 to 26.58

That's your difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In a matter of speaking, you will see a difference - combined with changing your rear wheel to a smaller diameter, you will be amazed.
    I have noticed that as tires grow in width, their sidewalls also increase. Sometimes, all it takes is going from a 29x2.25 to a 29x2.1 to notice a difference.
    So change in tire and chainring diameter will make a HUGE difference in your climbing abilities - all that without going with the 1x11 that you have been considering

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Is your rear cassette at 36? If so, you will note the following differences:

Gear Ratio: 0.944 to 0.917
    Gear Inches: 27.39 to 26.58

That's your difference.
    This

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akaflash View Post
    In a matter of speaking, you will see a difference - combined with changing your rear wheel to a smaller diameter, you will be amazed.
    I have noticed that as tires grow in width, their sidewalls also increase. Sometimes, all it takes is going from a 29x2.25 to a 29x2.1 to notice a difference.
    So change in tire and chainring diameter will make a HUGE difference in your climbing abilities - all that without going with the 1x11 that you have been considering
    This weekend I got 3 mates who uses 2x10 and 3x10. they have no problems climbing long steep hill, while I was struggling to climb that hill.

Personally I might convert back to 2x10, but before doing that I'll change my front ring to 32T.

The only good thing about running 1x10 setup is that I dont have problems with chain derailing when riding aggressive downhill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    This weekend I got 3 mates who uses 2x10 and 3x10. they have no problems climbing long steep hill, while I was struggling to climb that hill.

Personally I might convert back to 2x10, but before doing that I'll change my front ring to 32T.

The only good thing about running 1x10 setup is that I dont have problems with chain derailing when riding aggressive downhill.
    You should definitely try the 32T first. Personally, I do most of my climbing in 3rd (32 x 28) and my steep climbing in 2nd gear (32 x 32). 1st gear (32 x 36) is emergency only and I almost never (emphasis added) use it. If it turned out I was doing a lot of climbing in 1st gear I would consider a different setup on the front ring, as you appear to be doing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You should definitely try the 32T first. Personally, I do most of my climbing in 3rd (32 x 28) and my steep climbing in 2nd gear (32 x 32). 1st gear (32 x 36) is emergency only and I almost never (emphasis added) use it. If it turned out I was doing a lot of climbing in 1st gear I would consider a different setup on the front ring, as you appear to be doing.

What about riding downhill is the 32T enough to pick up more speed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What about riding downhill is the 32T enough to pick up more speed?
    I've never had any trouble picking up speed downhill. I can still go up to 10th gear (32 x 12) if needed, but I have never had the need or desire to do so.. This has never ever been an issue for me, but I'm not doing downhill/enduro racing so take it for what it's worth. Gravity itself should take care of the majority of speed. Are you currently at or anywhere close to not having a high enough gearing for getting speed downhill? As above, 34 to 32 x 12:

Gear ratio = 2.83 to 2.67
    Gear inches = 82.17 to 77.33

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've never had any trouble picking up speed downhill. I can still go up to 10th gear (32 x 12) if needed, but I have never had the need or desire to do so.. This has never ever been an issue for me, but I'm not doing downhill/enduro racing so take it for what it's worth. Gravity itself should take care of the majority of speed. Are you currently at or anywhere close to not having a high enough gearing for getting speed downhill? As above, 34 to 32 x 12:

Gear ratio = 2.83 to 2.67
    Gear inches = 82.17 to 77.33
    I find the 34T front is not enough for downhill/enduro racing. Initially I was thinking to use 36T or 38T, but I'm struggling to climb with my 34T. last weekend the steep climb took us 45 mins, before a 20 mins downhill ride. I was really struggling, some section of the steep climb I have walk, while my mates still riding their bikes using granny rings. I can still managed to climb, but its really heavy on my legs.

Here is one of the section of the steep climb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	825129

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    1x10 is not for everyone..

It works for me because I dont have long and steep ups or downs. With a 36T rear cassette, I just wouldnt have the range.

1x11 makes up for this by using a 42T cassette.

You may just have to go back to 2x10...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Might consider:
    Training and working your way to higher gearing (like a 34 or 36 up front).
    For long-lasting knees, try a 30 or 32 up front - assuming that you at least have a 11-36 in the rear. The first few days of the season should be "nice and easy" - or even going back to a 2x10 setup.
    Here's a setup: 1x10 / 30T / 11-36 rear for about 22 MPH without spinning out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    singlespeed. the answer. can't climb a particular hill? keep trying. it'll only make ya stronger. gearing down is like throwing in the towel and will only make ya weaker. or just get off, shoulder yer rig and run right on by yer granny gear bros.

rog

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Once the 32T arrive next week ill give a go for a month and il go to the gym for more lower limbs work out. if doesnt work either I go back to 2x10 or upgrade my drive train to xO1/xx1 . I really like the effiency of 1x10, less maintenance and shifting is faster .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The 1x10 / 1x11 is so quiet - it's amazing.
    This is my second bike setup without a chain guide, and I couldn't be happier with its stealth mode. The only thing, I want to save my knees, so I am going with a 28T up front. The key to not getting damaging knees is for sure training, staying fit, and spinning fast (instead of pushing a big gear) when ever possible.

When out of shape using an 11-36 / 30T - I just stay off big and long hills - just long enough until I get back into shape. At my old age, I have to take it easy at first, but am fine within a week or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Once the 32T arrive next week ill give a go for a month and il go to the gym for more lower limbs work out. if doesnt work either I go back to 2x10 or upgrade my drive train to xO1/xx1 . I really like the effiency of 1x10, less maintenance and shifting is faster .
    Don't waste your time in a gym, you'd be better off spending that time pedalling ur bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    Don't waste your time in a gym, you'd be better off spending that time pedalling ur bike.
    Leg workout in the gym will increase muscle mass and strength. So I could pedal faster and climb steeper hill. . Then I will ride my road bike/ am bike for cardio.

g3h6o3
    Muscle mass and strength is rarely a problem in cycling because we push very small "weights" when pedaling compared to weight lifting. I'm not saying it won't help you but don't expect miracles, I think you would be better off doing some endurance work especially since you speak of a 45 minute climb.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Muscle mass and strength is rarely a problem in cycling because we push very small "weights" when pedaling compared to weight lifting. I'm not saying it won't help you but don't expect miracles, I think you would be better off doing some endurance work especially since you speak of a 45 minute climb.
    ^^^^^^Yep What this guy said^^^^^^

The Gym is a waste of time unless it's 40 below and snowing for months on end... Muscle mass will not help you climb. Why do you think the best climbers in the world are bird light? It's because they have a good power to weight ratio. Gaining mass (weight) will not help you go up faster. It might help you sprint though...

You'd be better off just pedalling your road bike to cut weight and gain endurance then you won't be so tired when you get to more techincal sections like the one you've posted photos of.

Or better yet save some weight by axeing all the gears and going single.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Perhaps working on climbing technique too:
    Seat & spin - ensure you pull efficiently (knees perfectly in line etc...)
    Stand up ever 7 minutes for 2 minutes
    If the gear seems too "heavy", play with your 1x10 ratio - if that doesn't work after couple of weeks, you know you cannot achieve the right gears. Then, and only then I would resort to:
    1x11 - and playing with ratios there.
    2x10 - and keep playing with ratios.
    No matter what, I don't recommend stressing your knees too much, nor going to a gym.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    It might help you sprint though...
    There you go. I noticed massive improvements in my explosive power since doing some crossfit but not so much for sustained climbs.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I tweaked my bike last night, but installing new 33 front ring and changing my pedals from XT Trail to Mallet DH.

I tested it out this morning, having a 33T front ring drastically improve my climbing, it is less heavy on my legs. Also I think the Mallet DH also help, since the power transfer/pedalling is much better than the XT Trail pedals.