Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

30mm 29er Wheelset Recommendations

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Pivot Mach 429 Trail. The bike is great, except for one thing; the 23mm Nox Skyline/DT 240 Wheelset, while very nice, is a bit too narrow and lacks the amount of POEI want. I am thinking of selling and swapping the wheels for a set of either:

Non Farlows - 1669g, $1593, Hope Pro 4 front/Project 321 rear

i9 Enduro 305s - 1800g, $1520, i9 front/rear

Light Bike RM29C07/RM29C14 Heavy Duty - 1780g (approx), $1107, i9 front/rear

NOBL TR36 - 1740g (approx), $1530, i9 front/rear

Has anyone had experience with any of these wheelsets? I am looking for a durable, reliable, and high POE wheelset with an internal width of around 30mm. While lower weight is better, it is not the deciding factor. I am open to suggestions as well.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 11-07-2017 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Bontrager Line Elite 30 (aluminum) and Line Pro 30 (carbon) have 108 poe. I have the Elites, and also a set of Carbon Fan asym rims I built into a wheel set with Sram 900 hubs (52 poe). All are 29mm IW.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Bontrager Line Elite 30 (aluminum) and Line Pro 30 (carbon) have 108 poe. I have the Elites, and also a set of Carbon Fan asym rims I built into a wheel set with Sram 900 hubs (52 poe). All are 29mm IW.
    The Line Pro 30 looks good, only downside for me is that there is no color customization. Where would you recommend getting them? Trek's website lists them as sold out, and no other major retailers seem to sell them. Do you think that the slightly lower POE of the Bontrager hubs would be noticeable against something like the Project 321 hubs? As the wheels lack color customization and weight around 1740g, would the base version of the i9 Enduro 305s be better? Looks like I am ruling out the NOBLs for these instead.

Thanks
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 11-07-2017 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    The Line Pro 30 looks good, only downside for me is that there is no color customization. Where would you recommend getting them? Trek's website lists them as sold out, and no other major retailers seem to sell them. Do you think that the slightly lower POI of the Bontrager hubs would be noticeable against something like the Project 321 hubs? As the wheels lack color customization and weight around 1740g, would the base version of the i9 Enduro 305s be better? Looks like I am ruling out the NOBLs for these instead.

Thanks
    Project321 is either a 144 poe or 216
    I9 is 120
    The new Bonti's are 108.

I have ridden the New 108 Bonti's and they are nice. not as loud as I like but they are nice.

If you got the 216 project321 hubs you would more than likely feel the poe difference from the trek hub at 108
    I have a set of I9's on my Nox rims and love them.

I am having a set of LB rims with I9 hubs made for my Slash. 31.6mm ID
    Too Many .

Workin for the weekend!
    Roval Traverse SL. 54POE, DT ratchet drive.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Project321 is either a 144 poe or 216
    I9 is 120
    The new Bonti's are 108.

I have ridden the New 108 Bonti's and they are nice. not as loud as I like but they are nice.

If you got the 216 project321 hubs you would more than likely feel the poe difference from the trek hub at 108
    I have a set of I9's on my Nox rims and love them.

I am having a set of LB rims with I9 hubs made for my Slash. 31.6mm ID
    The 216 POE Project 321s look like a really good option. It looks the Nox w/ 321 hubs would be best for me. How have your Nox rims held up?

Thanks
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 11-07-2017 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The Line Pro 30 looks good, only downside for me is that there is no color customization. Where would you recommend getting them? Trek's website lists them as sold out, and no other major retailers seem to sell them. Do you think that the slightly lower POI of the Bontrager hubs would be noticeable against something like the Project 321 hubs? As the wheels lack color customization and weight around 1740g, would the base version of the i9 Enduro 305s be better? Looks like I am ruling out the NOBLs for these instead.

Thanks
    I got mine from a dealer. Iíd order from a dealer anyway. They can generally get you their products for less than what you can get them online. My Line Pro 30s were a hair over $1000 and that includes the XD driver. Food for thought.

If aluminum is more your thing, look at Spank wheels. Theyíre durable from what Iíve read and are fairly inexpensive. DT E1700 or M1700 wheels are pretty awesome too.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Roval Traverse SL. 54POE, DT ratchet drive.
    The Roval wheels look nice, but I am not interested in DT's drive system. I currently have 240 hubs and find the POE unexceptional.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 11-07-2017 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Why do you want a wider rim? Are you going more than 2.4"?
    You can upgrade the engagement to 54 tooth, and might be able to find it on sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    I got mine from a dealer. Iíd order from a dealer anyway. They can generally get you their products for less than what you can get them online. My Line Pro 30s were a hair over $1000 and that includes the XD driver. Food for thought.

If aluminum is more your thing, look at Spank wheels. Theyíre durable from what Iíve read and are fairly inexpensive. DT E1700 or M1700 wheels are pretty awesome too.
    If I can get them for $1000, that would also rule out the LB wheels as well. The Spank wheels look like a good alloy option as well. From the reviews I have read they see to be strong, inexpensive, and have great customization as well. Only downside is a higher weight then other wheels and no obvious information on the POE of their hubs. A E/M1700 or a Spank rim laced to Project 321 hubs might be a good budget option.

I appreciate the recommendation.
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 11-07-2017 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would buy the hubs I want for about 500. Get light bike rims, spokes from Dan's comp and build myself. The park truing stand isn't too expensive. The first wheelset I built took about 4 hours

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Why do you want a wider rim? Are you going more than 2.4"?
    You can upgrade the engagement to 54 tooth, and might be able to find it on sale.
    I am looking some 2.5 Maxxis Minion DFH and Shorty tires, so the extra rim width would be used. The problems I have with the Rovals is that they seem to not be boost and already cost $1300 without any hub upgrade. 1570g is a great weight, but I feel like they may be a bit underbuilt for me, with the front wheel having 24 spokes and the rear having 28. The Bontrager wheels, while heavier, cost less and have a higher engagement hub.

Thanks for the recommendation anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    I would buy the hubs I want for about 500. Get light bike rims, spokes from Dan's comp and build myself. The park truing stand isn't too expensive. The first wheelset I built took about 4 hours

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I might try that if prices are comparable to or lower then prebuilt options. Any tips for learning how to wheelbuild?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    I went with the TR33, which I felt was a good compromise, not crazy wide, and not to narrow. I have the Onyx hubs. If you are looking for engagement, they are the business. It feels less harsh than a standard pawl set up, and are a bit heavier, but the absolute silence is a great. Pricey, but cry once and be happy

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    I went with the TR33, which I felt was a good compromise, not crazy wide, and not to narrow. I have the Onyx hubs. If you are looking for engagement, they are the business. It feels less harsh than a standard pawl set up, and are a bit heavier, but the absolute silence is a great. Pricey, but cry once and be happy
    Thanks for the recommendation. I am thinking that I might build the wheels myself from scratch. How have the NOBL rims held up?

mtbr member
    The 216 POI Project 321s look like a really good option. It looks the Nox w/ 321 hubs would be best for me. How have your Nox rims held up?

Thanks
    Love them. I have had some hard rock hits. And not a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wheel building info.
    Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Love them. I have had some hard rock hits. And not a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Wheel building info.
    Wheels
    Thanks for all the great info! The decision will definitely not be easy. The i9 Enduro 305s look like some great lightweight alloy rims, and can be found for great prices on the used market. Both the Nobls and the Noxs seem to be excellent premium carbon options, and the Bontrager offers good value. Doing a custom build with LB rims would probably also turn out well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great info! The decision will definitely not be easy. The i9 Enduro 305s look like some great lightweight alloy rims, and can be found for great prices on the used market. Both the Nobls and the Noxs seem to be excellent premium carbon options, and the Bontrager offers good value. Doing a custom build with LB rims would probably also turn out well.
    Carbon is worth it in my opinion.

Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Carbon is worth it in my opinion.

Just looked up the approximate weight and cost of doing a couple of builds. I have ruled out the Farlows (they cost more than the TR36s with little performance gain).

The TR36s are very close in weight to the 305s, with the 305s only weighing 40g more. However, the TR36s are speced with Project 321 hubs vs the i9s on the i9. Do you think the 1.5 degree of rotation would be noticeable between the i9 and the 321?

The Bontrager is still in the running if I can get it at the right price, but the best option for me so far seems to be the LB wheels. I can get them for less then the 305s or the TR36s, and depending on the exact rim, they can weigh less as well.

Thanks for all your input.

mtbr member
    Just looked up the approximate weight and cost of doing a couple of builds. I have ruled out the Farlows (they cost more than the TR36s with little performance gain).

The TR36s are very close in weight to the 305s, with the 305s only weighing 40g more. However, the TR36s are speced with Project 321 hubs vs the i9s on the i9. Do you think the 1.5 degree of rotation would be noticeable between the i9 and the 321?

The Bontrager is still in the running if I can get it at the right price, but the best option for me so far seems to be the LB wheels. I can get them for less then the 305s or the TR36s, and depending on the exact rim, they can weigh less as well.

Thanks for all your input.
    I canít really say if you would feel the 1.5* over the I9ís

I can feel the 120poe vs 54 Poe on the two sets of rims I have.

I want the project321 only cause they are loud.
    LB USA can build my the time with I9 or project 321 for the same price

Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Sounds like either the i9s or the 321s would be a good option. Looks like the final hub decision will come down to what wheelset I can get for the best price. I couldn't quite understand what you said about LB US building with Project 321 hubs, could you clarify? I am planning to call them when they open to see if they will build with Project 321 hubs.

Thanks for your help.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Pivot Mach 429 Trail. The bike is great, except for one thing; the 23mm Nox Skyline/DT 240 Wheelset, while very nice, is a bit too narrow and lacks the amount of POI I want. I am thinking of selling and swapping the wheels for a set of either:

Non Farlows - 1669g, $1593, Hope Pro 4 front/Project 321 rear

i9 Enduro 305s - 1800g, $1520, i9 front/rear

Light Bike RM29C07/RM29C14 Heavy Duty - 1780g (approx), $1107, i9 front/rear

NOBL TR36 - 1740g (approx), $1530, i9 front/rear

Has anyone had experience with any of these wheelsets? I am looking for a durable, reliable, and high POI wheelset with an internal width of around 30mm. While lower weight is better, it is not the deciding factor. I am open to suggestions as well.

Thanks for any input.

I have beat these Nextie rims to hell and back. These are the 30mm external, 25mm internal.

I originally put them on my Enduro 29er, used for hardcore riding for a few seasons, many days at the DH park, DH races, vacations in nasty terrain, etc. Then I rebuilt them for my fatbike as summer-wheelset, then set up the bike with a suspension fork and used it for XC racing. Then I rebuilt (and painted) them again for my pivot below, which I raced hard this season, including the Whiskey Off Road 50 and Soggy Bottom 100 race (in addition to many other summer-series local XC races).

Obviously, these have held up great, and I've gotten my money out of them. If they blew up tomorrow I wouldn't be sad, since they've literally been to hell and back. There are lighter versions available now, but I think these are a good "all-around" wheelset for this bike. I may build up the new "flyweight" rims as a race-day-only-and-not-for-marathon-riding wheelset next year, but I'm in no hurry to.

The front is built with an XTR hub and revolution or the sapim equivalent spokes, the rear is a DT240 with the same. I built it like this because it maximized cost-to-weight savings. 30mm 29er Wheelset Recommendations-01aaab298c346eab2cc673ab2acf64bcd1a1224c4e.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have beat these Nextie rims to hell and back. These are the 30mm external, 25mm internal.

I originally put them on my Enduro 29er, used for hardcore riding for a few seasons, many days at the DH park, DH races, vacations in nasty terrain, etc. Then I rebuilt them for my fatbike as summer-wheelset, then set up the bike with a suspension fork and used it for XC racing. Then I rebuilt (and painted) them again for my pivot below, which I raced hard this season, including the Whiskey Off Road 50 and Soggy Bottom 100 race (in addition to many other summer-series local XC races).

Obviously, these have held up great, and I've gotten my money out of them. If they blew up tomorrow I wouldn't be sad, since they've literally been to hell and back. There are lighter versions available now, but I think these are a good "all-around" wheelset for this bike. I may build up the new "flyweight" rims as a race-day-only-and-not-for-marathon-riding wheelset next year, but I'm in no hurry to.

The front is built with an XTR hub and revolution or the sapim equivalent spokes, the rear is a DT240 with the same. I built it like this because it maximized cost-to-weight savings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01aaab298c346eab2cc673ab2acf64bcd1a1224c4e.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	1164583
    I looked at Nextie's rims. It looks like their NXT29XA32 would be best for me, but I cannot tell if that 32mm measurement is for the rim's external or internal width. Otherwise, the NXT29XA32 seems to be a good option if it holds up well, as it is relatively light and not very expensive.

Currently I feel that my best options are the Nextie NXT29XA32 (if the rim is wide enough) and the LB AM928. Both are better value than the Bontrager, lighter then the 305 and cheaper than the Nobl or Nox. Would you recommend getting the heavy duty option on the LB rim?

Thanks for your input.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I went ahead and looked at Nextie's rims. It looks like their NXT29XA32 would be best for me, but I cannot tell if that 32mm is for the rim's external or internal width. Otherwise the NXT29XA32 seems to be a good option if it holds up well, as it is relatively light and not very expensive.

Currently I feel that my best options are the Nextie NXT29XA32 (if the rim is wide enough) and the LB AM928. Better value than the Bontrager, lighter then the 305 and cheaper than the Nobl or Nox. Would you recommend getting the heavy duty option on the LB rim?

Thanks for you input.
    I have both LB and Nexties, two sets of both, both are good. I did not go for any special heavy duty layups, just the standard. On a Mach 4, I wouldn't see you doing anything that requires a DH layup. I forgot to add that my Nextie 30mms were 400g or so, they may not make the exact same model anymore though. I'd get the one that most closely fits your requirements.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have both LB and Nexties, two sets of both, both are good. I did not go for any special heavy duty layups, just the standard. On a Mach 4, I wouldn't see you doing anything that requires a DH layup. I forgot to add that my Nextie 30mms were 400g or so, they may not make the exact same model anymore though. I'd get the one that most closely fits your requirements.
    I just did some additional googleing and found that the Nextie rim is too narrow for my needs (25mm internal). Nextie has another rim that is 32mm internal, but it is listed under the lower quality rims.

I will probably go with the LB AM928 as it seem to be of good quality, is relatively light, and is not all that expensive. Not to mention that LB US offers less expensive and faster shipping. As far as weight goes, the LB weighs 430g and the 38mm Nextie weighs 460g, so it looks like weight has not decreased much, if any.

Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    I just did some additional googleing and found that the Nextie rim is too narrow for my needs (25mm internal). Nextie has another rim that is 32mm internal, but it is listed under the lower quality rims.

I will probably go with the LB AM928 as it seem to be of good quality, is relatively light, and is not all that expensive. Not to mention that LB US offers less expensive and faster shipping. As far as weight goes, the LB weighs 430g and the 38mm Nextie weighs 460g, so it looks like weight has not decreased much, if any.

Thanks for your advice.
    I will end up with this set from LB, RM29C14
    31.6mm ID with EN for the rear.
    I9 hub's
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I will end up with this set from LB, RM29C14
    31.6mm ID with EN for the rear.
    I9 hub's
    Just a heads up, it may not matter to you, but the RM29C14 is not a asymmetric rim. The AM933, while more expensive, is an asymmetric rim that also has a wide (33mm) inner diameter. Again, it may not matter, but just wanted to let you know. I am definitely not an expert on this, so I might be valuing asymmetric rims far too much.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up, it may not matter to you, but the RM29C14 is not a asymmetric rim. The AM933, while more expensive, is an asymmetric rim that also has a wide (33mm) inner diameter. Again, it may not matter, but just wanted to let you know. I am definitely not an expert on this, so I might be valuing asymmetric rims far too much.
    ah, i'll have to look some more,

it's gonna be a while before

too many long races in AZ coming up and the bike is still in a box lol
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Might want to consider the DT XM481 rim.

mtbr member
    I have the nobl tr36 on I9's on an evil following with 2 seasons use. They've been stellar. I'm super hard on wheels and other than a hit that popped 3 spokes they have needed zero attention which is miraculous for me. The only carbon rims that have gone unsmashed in my circle is nobl and nox.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyMan View Post
    Might want to consider the DT XM481 rim.
    The XM 481s look like good rims. They definitely are competitive with the 305s, especially with regards to the price. I'll keep them in mind.

Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I have the nobl tr36 on I9's on an evil following with 2 seasons use. They've been stellar. I'm super hard on wheels and other than a hit that popped 3 spokes they have needed zero attention which is miraculous for me. The only carbon rims that have gone unsmashed in my circle is nobl and nox.
    The TR36s do look like good rims. They are definitely a tempting option, especially considering the prices of some of the used ones.

Making a decision will definitely be difficult, with all the great wheels on the market. I will probably end up with a used set of wheels, given their great price. That will narrow my possibilities down a bit, but there are sill lots of used wheels out there.

I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Before I buy a new wheelset, I need to sell my old Nox Skylines. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to best prepare a wheelset for sale? For example, should I have the wheels professionally trued, replace slightly tweaked spokes, add fresh sealant, etc? The wheels are perfectly rideable now so, so would doing any work help increase resale value?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am running Hadley hubs laced to Velocity blunts - I absolutely abuse these things on a hardtail and they just keep goin cant recommend them enough. WTB i35 does look like a great rim too but the Hadley's are the only game in town for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    I am running Hadley hubs laced to Velocity blunts - I absolutely abuse these things on a hardtail and they just keep going. cant recommend them enough. WTB i35 does look like a great rim too but the Hadley's are the only game in town for me.
    I have head good things about the i29, i35, and Blunt rims. The color options on the Blunts are also very nice. However, I feel that both are a bit too heavy for me, as they both tip the scale at an approximate 2000g (vs approx 1800g for the 305s and EX 481s and 1650-1750g for carbons).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am interested in your wheels. PM me.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I laced up a set of onyx hubs to the easton/race face ARC30 and they have been bomb proof haven't had to true them yet and I am not easy on rims. Have had quite a few rim strikes and no dents just a couple scratches. Can't recommend them enough. As the name states they have a 30mm ID

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrinln View Post
    I laced up a set of onyx hubs to the easton/race face ARC30 and they have been bomb proof haven't had to true them yet and I am not easy on rims. Have had quite a few rim strikes and no dents just a couple scratches. Can't recommend them enough. As the name states they have a 30mm ID
    The Arcs look alright, but I think the EX 481 is a better option for me. Same width, but a bit lighter (Trying to stay under 1800g by as much as possible).

I appreciate the recommendation anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    I am interested in your wheels. PM me.
    Just to confirm, I think I have PM'ed you. However, I am new to this forum, so I may have done something wrong. If you haven't received anything, go ahead and PM me and I'll try to respond.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have head good things about the i29, i35, and Blunt rims. The color options on the Blunts are also very nice. However, I feel that both are a bit too heavy for me, as they both tip the scale at an approximate 2000g (vs approx 1800g for the 305s and EX 481s and 1650-1750g for carbons).

I just built some Blunt SS wheels, using Sapim laser spokes and DT 350 hubs. Weight came in at 1605g for the set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    I just built some Blunt SS wheels, using Sapim laser spokes and DT 350 hubs. Weight came in at 1605g for the set.
    The Blunt SS looks like a great rim, but its 26mm inner diameter is too narrow for me. The it's 425g weight is great, putting it right around carbon. However, the 30mm inner diameter Blunt 35 weights 590g, making it a bit too heavy for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

This place needs an enema
    Onyx hubs -- lots of colors, dead silent when coasting, and always-on engagement.

Derby rims -- light, durable, bomber tubeless interface.

Spoke gauge and crossing depending on you -- height, weight, riding style, etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Onyx hubs -- lots of colors, dead silent when coasting, and always-on engagement.

Derby rims -- light, durable, bomber tubeless interface.

Spoke gauge and crossing depending on you -- height, weight, riding style, etc...
    Would you say that there would be a noticeable difference in engagement between Onyx and Project 321 hubs? Right now I am leaning towards the 321s as they are lighter and cheaper then the Onyx hubs.

If you had to pick between the Derby i30s, the LB AM928, or the DT XM 481's, which would you chose? The i30s look solid, but are heavier than the LB 928s and more expensive then both the XM 481s and the LB 928. Are they really worth the extra cost?

I was thinking to go with a 32h setup with either Sapim Laser or Race spokes laced in a three cross pattern. Would you suggest something else for a 160lb rider riding XC/Trail?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that I get exactly what I want when buying.

Thanks for your help.

Would you say that there would be a noticeable difference in engagement between Onyx and Project 321 hubs? Right now I am leaning towards the 321s as they are lighter and cheaper then the Onyx hubs.

If you had to pick between the Derby i30s, the LB AM928, or the DT XM 481's, which would you chose? The i30s look solid, but are heavier than the LB 928s and more expensive then both the XM 481s and the LB 928. Are they really worth the extra cost?

I was thinking to go with a 32h setup with either Sapim Laser or Race spokes laced in a three cross pattern. Would you suggest something else for a 160lb rider riding XC/Trail?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that I get exactly what I want when buying.

Thanks for your help.

I don't notice engagement, in either direction. Not important to me in the least. I like Onyx not because of any perceived benefits of engagement, but because they are dead silent.

I would pick Derby rims 100 times out of 100 over the others you mentioned. In fact I did -- I have Derby's on my only MTB.

Spokes are something best discussed in detail with whomever builds your wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Bontrager's Elite Line first ride with proper tires and PSI 2 big dents....(2018 Slash)

EX1501 no dents in 8 months of hard enduro (25mm) ...will get 30mm versiůn now that it's available....
    www.bike24.com

PS now I have 5 dents with 3 rides on the Bontrager's (gave them a second - third chance)
    Last edited by TrialsCartel; 11-02-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsCartel View Post
    Bontrager's Elite Line first ride with proper tires and PSI 2 big dents....(2018 Slash)

EX1501 no dents in 8 months of hard enduro (25mm) ...will get 30mm versiůn now that it's available....
    www.bike24.com

PS now I have 5 dents with 3 rides on the Bontrager's (gave them a second - third chance)
    DT's alloy rims do look good. While the EX 1501 is a wheelset, I would assume that the EX 481 rims would be a relatively compatible rim only option.

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix864 View Post
    dt's alloy rims do look good. While the ex 1501 is a wheelset, i would assume that the ex 481 rims would be a relatively compatible rim only option.

Thanks for the feedback.
    ex512

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I don't notice engagement, in either direction. Not important to me in the least. I like Onyx not because of any perceived benefits of engagement, but because they are dead silent.

I would pick Derby rims 100 times out of 100 over the others you mentioned. In fact I did -- I have Derby's on my only MTB.

Spokes are something best discussed in detail with whomever builds your wheels.
    While I don't prefer loudish hubs, I don't mind them either. 321s current run of hubs seem to be exactly what I am looking for: competitively light, plenty of engagement, and not overly expensive.

While Derby's rims look excellent, it looks like they are just too far out of my budget new, and I can't seem to find any used sets that meet my wants. After looking around, it looks like most high engagement Derby wheelsets cost around $1700 new, a bit too much for my $1400 max budget. Is there something that you would recommend at around the $1300 mark?

I appreciate the recommendations regardless.

mtbr member
    While I don't prefer loudish hubs, I don't mind them either. 321s current run of hubs seem to be exactly what I am looking for: competitively light, plenty of engagement, and not overly expensive.

While Derby's rims look excellent, it looks like they are just too far out of my budget new, and I can't seem to find any used sets that meet my wants. After looking around, it looks like most high engagement Derby wheelsets cost around $1700 new, a bit too much for my $1400 max budget. Is there something that you would recommend at around the $1300 mark?

I appreciate the recommendations regardless.
    Donít buy used Derby carbon rims when you can Nextie and others for a good price. I have had LB, Carbonfan and Nextie. All are great quality and still rollin.

Hubs... well silent or loud that is a personal preference.... colors some thing. I just donít want to worry about them.

mtbr member
    OP - I have that exact same Nox/DT240 wheelset. Upgraded the ratchet to 54T. It's fine, but noisy.

I also have a set of Nextie rims w/ Onyx hubs. I like these better. Really, the hubs are what make the difference. Silent, smooth, best engagement. They are heavy, but I don't care - and I only ride XC. On a trail bike I imagine it would be even less of a concern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsCartel View Post
    ex512
    Ah, alright. The EX 511 is probably a bit over built for my needs, so I think I will stick with the EX 481 as my choice for alloy rims.

Thanks for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Donít buy used Derby carbon rims when you can Nextie and others for a good price. I have had LB, Carbonfan and Nextie. All are great quality and still rollin.

Hubs... well silent or loud that is a personal preference.... colors some thing. I just donít want to worry about them.
    How have your LB wheels held up? My top rim pick right now is the LB AM928, as the rims seem to be quite well rounded (competitive weight, asymmetrical, and well priced). LB also having a NA office gives me more faith in their warranty.

Edit: Just saw that CarbonFan's lists their asymmetrical 29mm inner rims for under $400 for two rims w/ stem, tubeless tape, and shipping. A definite competitor to the LBs if their quality is good. What has been your experience with them?

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Phoenix864; 04-03-2018 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    OP - I have that exact same Nox/DT240 wheelset. Upgraded the ratchet to 54T. It's fine, but noisy.

I also have a set of Nextie rims w/ Onyx hubs. I like these better. Really, the hubs are what make the difference. Silent, smooth, best engagement. They are heavy, but I don't care - and I only ride XC. On a trail bike I imagine it would be even less of a concern.
    Can you feel a difference between the Nextie and the Nox rims?

Thanks for the feedback on the Onyxs. With all the positive comments about them I'll definitely look into them a bit more.

mtbr member
    Can you feel a difference between the Nextie and the Nox rims?

Thanks for the feed back on the Onyxs. With all the positive comments about them I'll definitely look into them a bit more.
    No difference, but it isn't a good comparison really. The Nextie wheels are 27.5+. That said, I'd be comfortable going with Nextie or LB and spending the money saved on a pair of hubs I really love.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    No difference, but it isn't a good comparison really. The Nextie wheels are 27.5+. That said, I'd be comfortable going with Nextie or LB and spending the money saved on a pair of hubs I really love.

Thanks for the info. I definitely feel confident going with the direct to consumer brands after all the positive comments about them. I just found that CarbonFan offers two 29mm inner asymmetric rims w/ stems, tubeless tape and shipping for $380. Unless they are of poor quality, I think I have just found my next rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use and recommend their rims. I'd go with the 34mm inners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I use and recommend their rims. I'd go with the 34mm inners.
    Any specific reason for the 34mm vs the 29mm? From what I have read it seems that a 29mm rim will provide enough support for a 2.5 tire while also keeping the weight down. Do you think that a 34mm rim would be a big enough improvement to justify the extra weight?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Any specific reason for the 34mm vs the 29mm? From what I have read it seems that a 29mm rim will provide enough support for a 2.5 tire while also keeping the weight down. Do you think that a 34mm rim would be a big enough improvement to justify the extra weight?

Thanks.
    I don't

It's not all about rim ID.

the tire profile needs to match the rim size imo.

From Maxxis.
    Narrower 2.3 tires set up with an optimal profile on 21-29mm inner width rims
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thanks.
    It's not going to be about the performance difference from the added grams with a wider rim. It's not about the minimum width rim the tire will work with so you keep the weight down.
    In the note space when ordering from Carbonfan request rims at the low end of the weight range. + or- 15g. Ask for minus.

It's now about how much less pressure you can run without getting rim hits or having the tire feel squirrely on your terrain at the speed you ride. Lower pressure means a bigger footprint when climbing and in curves. So maximum traction when you need it to carry more speed through corners and get on the power sooner coming out of them. That gives you more control so you can do more things like abrupt line changes. And you'll be faster through those segments which are the most fun and challenging. We're not setting up a road bike for smooth surfaces and wind resistance. You want grip. Tires still roll fast with less pressure.

Maxxis tires are not designed with high volume and a very rounded profile to work better with wider rims. They work very well with 19-25mm rims because that was the norm when they were originally designed. Wider squares them off. If you want to use those them you can go skinnier. Maybe some new designs(not the WT) will be different. Bontragers Team 120tpi are an all new high volume very round design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It's not going to be about the performance difference from the added grams with a wider rim. It's not about the minimum width rim the tire will work with so you keep the weight down.
    In the note space when ordering from Carbonfan request rims at the low end of the weight range. + or- 15g. Ask for minus.

It's now about how much less pressure you can run without getting rim hits or having the tire feel squirrely on your terrain at the speed you ride. Lower pressure means a bigger footprint when climbing and in curves. So maximum traction when you need it to carry more speed through corners and get on the power sooner coming out of them. That gives you more control so you can do more things like abrupt line changes. And you'll be faster through those segments which are the most fun and challenging. We're not setting up a road bike for smooth surfaces and wind resistance. You want grip. Tires still roll fast with less pressure.

Maxxis tires are not designed with high volume and a very rounded profile to work better with wider rims. They work very well with 19-25mm rims because that was the norm when they were originally designed. Wider squares them off. If you want to use those them you can go skinnier. Maybe some new designs(not the WT) will be different. Bontragers Team 120tpi are an all new high volume very round design.
    I don't

It's not all about rim ID.

the tire profile needs to match the rim size imo.

From Maxxis.
    Narrower 2.3 tires set up with an optimal profile on 21-29mm inner width rims

That's some really great info. I'll be sure to request rims that weight on the lower end of the spectrum. I was planning to go ahead with a Maxxis Shorty and DFH Minion 2.5 combo. However, if those tires would not take advantage of a wider rim, what would you suggest to replace them? Looking for tires that have plenty of grip and handle mud well.

Edit: found this article on Maxxis's WT tires: Can you run Maxxis Wide Trail tires on regular rims? - Mtbr.com They list that the WT tires are designed around the 30-35mm rim. If this is true, I think I may stick with the Maxxis WT tires, but I am definitely open to other tire suggestions.

Thanks for the informative responses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's some really great info. I'll be sure to request rims that weight on the lower end of the spectrum. I was planning to go ahead with a Maxxis Shorty and DFH Minion combo. However, if those tires would not take advantage of a wider rim, what would you suggest to replace them? Looking for tires that have plenty of grip and handle mud well.

Thanks for the informative response.
    We need to get some guys who ride muddy conditions in the PNW and Britain to offer Plus suggestions. My trails get torn up when wet. I can't ride them. Loose over hard (Phoenix?) conditions the Bontys are good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    A29C29D25 29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim

One more for the pile. I've been running the AM version on the back of my Scalpel for months. Custom build, 32H Laser with a 54 POE BHS/Bitex hub. No maintenance. It's never given me reason to think about it.

Pinehurst NC
    I have a set of DT XM521 35mm ID, they have been indestructible on the East Coast trails so far.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    A29C29D25 29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim

One more for the pile. I've been running the AM version on the back of my Scalpel for months. Custom build, 32H Laser with a 54 POE BHS/Bitex hub. No maintenance. It's never given me reason to think about it.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Carbonfan rims. It definitely solidifies their spot as my top rim choice.

Edit: Those rims seem to be listed under a different name, but are otherwise identical to the Carbonfan rims. The only other difference seems to be the price. The EIE rims are less expensive than the Carbonfans. However, those saving are lost as EIE charges shipping, unlike Carbonfan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    I have a set of DT XM521 35mm ID, they have been indestructible on the East Coast trails so far.
    I have heard some great stuff about DT's rims, but I feel that Carbonfan's rims are the best pick for me because of their competitive price and great weight.

Thanks for the feedback anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for the feedback on the Carbonfan rims. It definitely solidifies their spot as my top rim choice.

Edit: Those rims seem to be listed under a different name, but are otherwise identical to the Carbonfan rims. The only other difference seems to be the price. The EIE rims are less expensive than the Carbonfans. However, those saving are lost as EIE charges shipping, unlike Carbonfan.
    I don't think EIE manufactures their own rims, but I can vouch for the quality of their supplier. I have the 39i version up front. Were I you, I'd split the difference at 34i. 29i isn't that much bigger than 23i. 34i, you'd actually notice.

I've got a Bontrager XR2 on the 29i rim that blows up to 2.5". It has a bit more lateral flex than I'd like at 20 PSI. More, actually, than the WTB Ranger 3.0 at 14 PSI on the 39i rim. If your plan is to run tires 2.3" and above and you prioritize grip over rolling resistance, the bigger rim is preferable. The weight difference would not be perceptible. Also, if you don't spend a lot of time in the air, you can get away with 28 spokes on both ends.

Robertson
    Just a heads up, Ibis is doing a sale on their carbon rims right now. $1050 for a set with their house brand hubs. If you're interested in Nox, there's a wheelbuilder on Pinkbike that builds them with Hopes for 1220: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2161384/. I got a set from him and they've been great

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for all the great responses. All the replies suggesting a 34mm rim have swayed me. Currently my top build looks something like this:

CarbonFan 34mm AM rim x2, $356.20 (for the set), 860g.
    Sapim Laser Spokes, $70.40, 279.04g.
    Sapim Polyax Nipples, $16.64, 19.84g.
    Project 321 Rear Hub, $415, 282.3g.
    Hope Pro 4 Front Hub, $113.99, 181g.

Approx total $972.33, Approx weight 1622.18g

Great weight, great price.

Thanks for the heads up rpearce1475. While both of those options are great wheels, the CarbonFan build seems to be the best for me.

That said, I am still open to suggestions about any parts of the wheels.

For tires, after doing some research, it seems that the Maxxis WT tires are built around 35mm rims. Because of this, it seems that a Shorty/Minion DHF combo would be a good match for me. Solid grip, relatively durable, and bearable weight and rolling resistance.

However, I am also still open for tire recommendations in the 2.4-2.5 range.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations, they have helped quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    What's "POI"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Rocketman View Post
    What's "POI"?
    Can't believe no one else caught that. 69 replies from different users, and POI went unnoticed through the entire thread. I guess everyone subconsciously equated it with POE. I have changed my responses to POE, in order to prevent confusing anyone who looks through this thread in the future. I appreciate you pointing the typo out.

In case you don't know, POE stands for Points Of Engagement. At lest as I understand it, a higher POE number means the hub has more points that can pick up power from from the drivetrain. This means it takes less crank movement to start your rear wheel moving.

Thanks again for pointing the typo out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Actually, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before I reply.

I don't have any experience with the wheelsets you mention, but I want to caution you on the POE. The quicker the engagement, the more prone to failures. A quicker engagement is typically realized by more and smaller pawls/ratchet teeth. That makes them more prone to failure. You might also have more pedal kickback from your suspension.

I'm happy with my Rovals Traverse SL more than with my Enve M50. Both have the same DT Hub Internals. I checked out the Bontrager wheels with proprietary hubs and they looked great. Their hub internals look similar to I9. I think Trek is also pretty solid on carbon manufacuturing.

In any case: it would be great if you could enter the hubs/wheels your looking at at https://www.dirtshed.com. Will make it easier to look for and compare what's out there.

The quicker the engagement, the more prone to failures.

Not really. And often exactly the opposite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not really. And often exactly the opposite.
    Then why don't they make quicker POE in your opinion? Pawl and Ratchet systems could easily do that without additinal cost?

Btw.: I spoke to DT Swiss and they said they don't use the 54T by default because of the higher failure rate.

Here, diagonally!
    Interesting, as I can't remember hearing about any DT freehubs failing, but they would know. I think it's possible that for a specific hub design, more POE could correlate with less strength. I will say that lower POE does allow heavy and sometime abusive riders like myself to "hit" the hub harder when ratcheting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm using the DT Swiss terminology and there are two kinds of hub systems. They're either ratchet and pawls systems, and they fail differently.

Ratchets don't hook up properly because of dirt in it. The more and smaller "teeth" the less dirt it needs. Once that happens the edges can become dull.

Pawls systems wear down and become dull. The smaller the teeth, the faster that happens.

You have a good point with the "hit problem". I had that too and it feels quite violent when you want to accelerate and there is no resistance and all of a sudden it engages. Somehow it was more pronounced on my hardtail (same hub as my fully), but after some time I adjusted to it. Anyway; you're right that this is putting some stress on the system if you keep doing it and it can also completelly break a pawl system. I don't see how a ratchet system would fail catastrophically, but maybe that's just a lack of imagination on my side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    http://weareone.bike/

Local manufactured rims and built in Kamloops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thanks.
    Because he believes everyone should be riding plus tires. I had 30 and 29 inners and actually went with a 27mm inner on my latest wheels.

Good for 2.3-2.5 tires.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Actually, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before I reply.

I don't have any experience with the wheelsets you mention, but I want to caution you on the POE. The quicker the engagement, the more prone to failures. A quicker engagement is typically realized by more and smaller pawls/ratchet teeth. That makes them more prone to failure. You might also have more pedal kickback from your suspension.

I'm happy with my Rovals Traverse SL more than with my Enve M50. Both have the same DT Hub Internals. I checked out the Bontrager wheels with proprietary hubs and they looked great. Their hub internals look similar to I9. I think Trek is also pretty solid on carbon manufacuturing.

In any case: it would be great if you could enter the hubs/wheels your looking at at https://www.dirtshed.com. Will make it easier to look for and compare what's out there.
    I couldn't imagine my 160lb frame stripping Project 321 hubs; I think I'll be alright with the higher engagement hubs. Dirtshed looks like a great resource to compare weights, thanks for letting me know about them. The Bontrager carbon wheels seem good, but I think I'll be happier with the CarbonFan custom build.

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    http://weareone.bike/

Local manufactured rims and built in Kamloops.
    Those rims look quite solid, but I feel that I cannot justify the weight and price gain vs the CarbonFan wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Because he believes everyone should be riding plus tires. I had 30 and 29 inners and actually went with a 27mm inner on my latest wheels.

Good for 2.3-2.5 tires.
    Still not 100% on a rim width, but I am leaning towards the 34mm. They are only about 60g heavier, and should give a nice profile for the wider tires. Still good to get multiple perspectives on the width though.

Thanks for all the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Interesting, as I can't remember hearing about any DT freehubs failing, but they would know. I think it's possible that for a specific hub design, more POE could correlate with less strength. I will say that lower POE does allow heavy and sometime abusive riders like myself to "hit" the hub harder when ratcheting.

The freehubs weren't failing. Some of the early versions of the 36t and then 54t ratchets were. They sorted it years ago -- such that unless you're unreasonably heavy relative to the average bear, or just ride that way, you'll still get a few seasons out of any of them now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still not 100% on a rim width, but I am leaning towards the 34mm. They are only about 60g heavier, and should give a nice profile for the wider tires. Still good to get multiple perspectives on the width though.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I'd some more research. Even Maxxis WT tires are designed for 30-35mm rims. 34 is going to square off some tires you may want to run.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Fwiw - I weigh about 200 fully geared up and on my plus bike run 3.0 tires on a 30mm ID rim with no issues.

I don't think you have to go super wide. Maybe save some rotational weight.

mtbr member
    Double post. Oops.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a set from Nextie for my Riot build 2 weeks ago. Went with the NXT29AM35, 30mm internal, with DTs. Scored 20% off the rims as they were on sale at the time, so paid $856 out the door including shipping and custom decals. Helluva deal! +1 for the customer service too. Now we'll see how long they take to get here...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nox warranty is worth a couple hundred in my book. Lifetime on rim and lifetime crash replacement ($300-$350 per rebuild) . How do other warranties stack up and do you account for that in determining value?
    Biking At Home Dad - blog Being a dad and racing singlespeeds
    HIS & HERS Energy Efficiency What pays for the next bike(s)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Fwiw - I weigh about 200 fully geared up and on my plus bike run 3.0 tires on a 30mm ID rim with no issues.

I don't think you have to go super wide. Maybe save some rotational weight.

I'd some more research. Even Maxxis WT tires are designed for 30-35mm rims. 34 is going to square off some tires you may want to run.
    Thanks for both replies, I'll definitely do some additional research before picking my rim width. 34mm looks good, but I am definitely up for saving some rotational weight where possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Just ordered a set from Nextie for my Riot build 2 weeks ago. Went with the NXT29AM35, 30mm internal, with DTs. Scored 20% off the rims as they were on sale at the time, so paid $856 out the door including shipping and custom decals. Helluva deal! +1 for the customer service too. Now we'll see how long they take to get here...
    Thanks for the feedback on the Chinese carbon rims. Sounds like they are of pretty good quality, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Nox warranty is worth a couple hundred in my book. Lifetime on rim and lifetime crash replacement ($300-$350 per rebuild) . How do other warranties stack up and do you account for that in determining value?
    CarbonFan lists one year warranty on their rims, and offer a 8% discount for crash replacement. Regardless, if the rims break, a new set is only $350. Combined with the positive feedback, it seems that the CarbonFan rims are nearly unbeatable in value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    If similar rims are of similar cost, the warranty comes into play. For me, Iím not more than doubling what I pay for essentially the exact same rim for a warranty. I canít tell the difference between a NOX and a Carbonfan 29mm internal Asym as an example, and reviews of both are solid...so value for me isnít even in the same ball park. Carbonfan all day long. If I destroy both less expensive rims (very unlikely) and have to re-buy both, Iím still ahead...

mtbr member
    Just got my Nextie NXT29AM35 hoops. Build and finish quality look very good. These hoops will be replacing a set of DT XM481's which have been bulletproof on my Following. Not much of a weight savings on wheels but hoping the extra stiffness will be a plus.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    How have your LB wheels held up? My top rim pick right now is the LB AM928, as the rims seem to be quite well rounded (competitive weight, asymmetrical, and well priced). LB also having a NA office gives be more faith in their warranty.

Edit: Just saw that CarbonFan's lists their asymmetrical 29mm inner rims for under $400 for two rims w/ stem, tubeless tape, and shipping. A definite competitor to the LBs if their quality is good. What has been your experience with them?

Thanks for the info.
    Go to ebay and look at the Nextie options. I just got a pair of aysemetric rims for $279 delivered. Great product at a great price

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    If similar rims are of similar cost, the warranty comes into play. For me, Iím not more than doubling what I pay for essentially the exact same rim for a warranty. I canít tell the difference between a NOX and a Carbonfan 29mm internal Asym as an example, and reviews of both are solid...so value for me isnít even in the same ball park. Carbonfan all day long. If I destroy both less expensive rims (very unlikely) and have to re-buy both, Iím still ahead...
    I'm definitely with you on the value of the CarbonFan rims. CarbonFan rims weight very similar to their equivalent Nox counterparts, but you can get 2 CarbonFan rims for the cost of one Nox rim. CarbonFan's reliability and durability seems to be good as well. I will definitely be getting my wheels built up with them once I manage to sell my current wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Just got my Nextie NXT29AM35 hoops. Build and finish quality look very good. These hoops will be replacing a set of DT XM481's which have been bulletproof on my Following. Not much of a weight savings on wheels but hoping the extra stiffness will be a plus.
    Coming from a cheap Bontrager XC wheelset, the stiffness of the Nox Skylines was very noticeable. The XM481 are some very nice alloy rims, so the stiffness increase may not be quite as noticeable. I would appreciate if you let me know how you like them after some riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I feel for Nox. The entire model of their business is chinese rims but backed by US company.

With LBs US presence now, there is no reason to pay the NOX premium.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Go to ebay and look at the Nextie options. I just got a pair of aysemetric rims for $279 delivered. Great product at a great price
    Ebay does have some very inexpensive carbon rims. My only qualm about them is that many are no-name rims, with no one standing behind the product. At least the CarbonFan rims have someone behind them. Both CarbonFan's and Nextie's rims look good. For me, CarbonFan just edges out the win as their rims are slightly lighter than Nextie's offerings, while also being similar in price.

mtbr member
    Ebay does have some very inexpensive carbon rims. My only qualm about them is that many are no-name rims, with no one standing behind the product. At least the CarbonFan rims have someone behind them. Both CarbonFan's and Nextie's rims look good. For me, CarbonFan just edges out the win as their rims are slightly lighter than Nextie's offerings, while also being similar in price.
    Carbonfan is also a good choice.....

Suggest also visiting their websites. Nextie has rims that are overstock listed in their sale section. Again I have had both Carbonfan and Nextie and have no complaints. Good luck

Elitest thrill junkie
    I feel for Nox. The entire model of their business is chinese rims but backed by US company.

With LBs US presence now, there is no reason to pay the NOX premium.
    That's the one constant with 99.9% of businesses. You gotta constantly evolve and change, because if you don't, someone will always come along that can do what you do, but cheaper, faster, more efficiently, better, etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Carbonfan is also a good choice.....

Suggest also visiting their websites. Nextie has rims that are overstock listed in their sale section. Again I have had both Carbonfan and Nextie and have no complaints. Good luck
    Thanks for the info on the rims. It will probably come down to whatever brand is cheapest when it come time to buy, as everyone who has posted about the Chinese carbon only had positive things to say.

mtbr member
    Anyone have an opinion on the new Raceface carbon R wheels? they come with a great warranty
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    price wise you're not going to beat the ibis sale now. the 935 is a 29mm id asym rim under 1600g set and comes with i9 hubs & xray spokes for 1385. if you want wide the 942 is the same price and 35mm id. these are both 32h mind you and they still are that light. i have the 27.5 version also known as the 735 and they were 1524g a set

for inexpensive there is always the bonty line pro often had under 1k but they are heavier and with an in house hub

prices on light bicycle have crept up over the past couple years. they don't excite me like they use to. nextie is currently the bargain rim for the penny pinchers. seem to be good quality for low $$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast