Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where in the heck are you guys located to use the 40t? Maybe you guys are pedaling going dowhill. I am in flatland and never touch my 39t.

I emailed Anderson today before I found this thread. Good to see that there are some good reviews.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Where in the heck are you guys located to use the 40t? Maybe you guys are pedaling going dowhill. I am in flatland and never touch my 39t.

I emailed Anderson today before I found this thread. Good to see that there are some good reviews.
    I use the 40T all the time here in the MIDwest (Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois). Sprints, flats, downhill, etc... .

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    I picked up 2 - 30 tooth non ramped single speed rings per FM's recommendation for both of my 29ers a few weeks ago. Very impressed with Russell's service, received them quickly, quality is top notch and so far they have been working great.

Thanks again Russell
    The other Fred........

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

24/30/36

Emailed Russell about a 30/38. The 38 is doable but not readily avail. and expensive. He had a slightly used 36 for practically nothing, so I jumped on it. Modded the spider for the 30 and all is well, except for the new SRAM PC1051 chain. The new chain doesn"t like the 30 where the mod was done. The old SLX chain works fine . Anyone else have this issue. I won't be able to ride till this weekend to fully test. Kind of like a double w/ a granny. I'll wear out the 24 and replace w/ a 22.
    Service is fast from Russell
    Well, I had to file the spider a hair more, now the new chain runs very smooth. The 24/30/36 is a great dirt gearing for where I ride. Plus, a somewhat decent gear for the pavement portion. Shifting is excellent from the granny to the 30, a little slower from the middle to the 36.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30 tooth 104 bcd-img_0827.jpg  

Last edited by rjedoaks; 03-18-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just adding to the Russell Andersen Machine fan club.
    Bought the 30t 40t combo from Andersen Machine about 4 weeks ago.

Have 3 15 mile rides on the setup and loving it!

Are the bolts titanium?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I emailed Russell and was wondering if he is still manufacturing the single speed 30T Chainrings? these seem awesome..good stuff

mtbr member
    May 2011
    even though nobody responded here, i emailed him directly and he resonded in 2 days or so. once he did, he was prompt and specific on what exactly needed to be ordered. he asked what bash guard i was running and so on. it arrived in 3 days immediately after payment. once arrived i am impressed with the craftsmanship. I do agree, 80 bucks is a bit steep for one chainring, but there is only one other manufacturer that makes chainrings for my crank with various sizes, which is also similar in cost and never responded to any of my emails.

I am eager to purchase a 32T here soon, just so i have tuning options for different terrain...and maybe even the 28t. i honestly really like my shimano XT M770 crank and this will allow me to run it till its ripped to shreds years from now. here are some pics of the install..i have yet to mount it all to my bike due to recent weather, but this feature removed approx one pound total off my bike. these are big savings in a little way.

here is a pic of where you can see how i shaved off a few mm off the crank tabs to ensure chain clearance. I did install the chain before i shaved off anything and nothing was rubbing, but it looked really close for comfort, so a bit of usage from the dremel took all but 3 minutes to do.

here it is installed on my 36t E-thirteen turbo bash guard...a 32t is on order as this looks way out of proportion, but works none the less.

here is another pic where i shaved a bit off with my dremel

I will post some more info when i get to ride it when the weather ever decides to clear up. forgot to include...but he also included directions as to where to shave off on the tabs and so on.

mtbr member
    I went Bling Ring this time when I set-up a 30T front

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm also running an Andersen 30T ring but damn that bling ring looks so clean.

I really should start looking for used SRAM cranks.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUZED View Post
    Who would buy a 30 tooth 104 bcd middle ring, with ramps, if it were available?
    Not me; been riding 32t middle (and same on 94 BCD too!) with a 12-34 cassette for a couple of years and moving to 34t middle ring (and SS chain ring on my rigid XTR 952 180mm cranks with a rare black 104 BCD XT spider).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    I went Bling Ring this time when I set-up a 30T front

what bashguard can you run on a bling ring? i tried running no bash guard at beginning of season..had to replace my chain after i high centered a rock...every since i have been running my bash guard, zero issues.

29er
    Apr 2010
    you can't

29er
    Apr 2010
    the only thing you could run to prevent hitting the chain is a skid plate like the mrp micro g2 sl

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well i did a short 12 mile run...felt great, a relief from my 32t. I had to remove 2 full links, from my 32t setup, was a bit too much slack. Weighed everything when done, removed a bit over a pound of weight total off my bike. I will continue to beat the hell out of this setup and will post any updates if something goes south. As of right now all is well.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What were you combo running before that was a pound heavier?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    I'm also running an Andersen 30T ring but damn that bling ring looks so clean.

I really should start looking for used SRAM cranks.
    Jenson has had some good sales recently - a couple models around $100 that are Bling Ring compatible.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    What were you combo running before that was a pound heavier?
    It's been a while so I will try and remember, but a 3X9 system, LX shifter, XT front derailleur, and links off the chain along with cable and fittings..and a much cleaner CF bar that is more visible than before lol

I remember taking pics of the weight differences but I can't find them for the life of me. The old parts were trashed minus the shifter and front derailleur.

Been out a lot ever since this combo, will say its been nice ever since. Also been through muddy/snowy conditions and without the FD less mud has accumulated in that area for sure. Others who have been running 2X10 systems have considered doing the same. I also have rode on some fire trails and haven't found myself running out of room, as I would just simply coast in certain areas. Here soon we will be in the full swing of things so I will be eager to see how well everything holds up this season.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8