Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Is 2x10 that big of a deal?

Some bikes have 3x10 or 2x10!!!! see people swapping 3x10 all the time...is it worth the upgrade?
    JUST DO IT

squish, squish in da fish
    screw it go 1x with a 11-36 out back.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Some bikes have 3x10 or 2x10!!!! see people swapping 3x10 all the time...is it worth the upgrade?
    Ride what you have, upgrade skills not bikes.

mtbr member
    Too many people without the proper legs have 2x10's and run in the small ring half the time anyway. It's not a "big deal" it's just an option. An option that many people think is a big deal which makes them change their bikes to be less appropriate for their own level and style of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I personally like 3x10...thanks for the input my fellow riders
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    I partly disagree with this statement. Most certainly you should improve your fitness and skill at every opportunity. However, part of the fun/addiction that is mt biking is buying/wrenching/upgrading to new gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Definitely not a big deal just preference. 2x10 setups are popular because there are a lot of over lapping gears on a 3x10...the 2x setup has a lot of the same gears (depending on sprocket sizes and cassette range). I like the 2x better then 3x for trail or xc riding...less worrying about cross chaining. For rides when you need to ride on paved or smooth roads, 3x has a wider range. Sometimes run out of gears on a 2x when your moving fast.

I currently run a 1x and couldnt be happier. Depending on the trail you can change front sprocket size...and has less parts to mess around with. At the end of the day, ride what you got. If you already have a nice 3x setup i wouldnt waste the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Is 2x10 that big of a deal?

I have a 3x9 and I'm satisfied with the range. Heck, I was ok with 3x7 when that was still new.

Of course, the benefit would be the slightly reduced weight by removing a chainring but in my opinion, I don't race so I wouldn't be able to fully appreciate the difference.

Now, the 1x10 or 1x11 is something to consider. Haven't tried it but I'm sure the fact that you remove 2 front rings, shifter, cable and a front derailleur makes for a very noticeable weight reduction.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Workin for the weekend!
    I would say that it depends on your terrain, and how committed you are. Weekend warriors hitting the steeps can really benefit from the ratio spread. I love my Two By setup, but don't use the granny on relatively flat terrain. On some of the steep grades we climb the 22 is the only way to get up, I'd be afraid of blowing out the rear hub if I had to grind using just the 36 tooth ring...

mtbr member

I've considered it and may go 2x10 or 1x9 but I occasionally use the big ring for speed which I'd probably miss.

If you have a bike it's retard easy to sample it. Just don't use the other gears.. See how you manage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Up until recently I had two bikes, one a 3x9 and the other a 2x10. If you are mainly in trails and singletracks I prefer the 2x10 better. Less overlapping gears and less shifting required maximize your pedaling time. In most cases it is also easy to fit a bash guard (if it didn't already come with one). 3x9 or 10 shines if you are riding mainly fires roads, carriage ways and wide doubletrack. I just recently did a 20 mile ride on carriageways with a few beginner types since selling my 3x9 Trek, I didn't necessarily wish I had it back for that ride, but it probably would've been more useful in that specific environment.

In short, they are both capable. I wouldn't spend money to "upgrade" to a 2x10, however, if my 3x crank fell apart I would certainly look at replacing it with a 2x.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    I've considered it and may go 2x10 or 1x9 but I occasionally use the big ring for speed which I'd probably miss.

If you have a bike it's retard easy to sample it. Just don't use the other gears.. See how you manage.
    I don't know if that will work, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 2x setups usually have a different number of teeth in gears 1 and 2 than a standard 3x?

squish, squish in da fish
    you can definitely see if its something you'd like to do by just staying in mid chainring. you might have to spin in a cog or two lower but once you find out if you like 1x then you can swap chainring for a lower tooth count. i have several rings that i swap, 30, 32, 33, 34, & 36. lately i've been running 36. lets us know what you come up with

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba1220 View Post
    I don't know if that will work, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 2x setups usually have a different number of teeth in gears 1 and 2 than a standard 3x?
    In general, a 2x10 will usually come with a slightly shorter high gear and a slightly taller low gear, eg a 3x10 will run 42-32-24 and a 2x10 would go 38-26. Obviously there are plenty of gearing setups, but the rule should work for most cases. I always think of them as fitting into the gaps of the 3x10.

As for OP, both of my bikes still run triples and I don't plan to move off it too soon (although admittedly, looking at the new Fuel EX 9 29er and that comes with a 2x10). I like the triple because I race a lot of longer distance stuff, and the terrain I ride on is short steep climbs everywhere, so having that lower ring to jump into really saves the legs a little and allows you to sit into your pace, especially later in the ride when mashing doesn't come as easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

When I was younger, the goal was to pick the toughest gear and just pedal as hard and fast as possible no matter what. Haha! That time, if 1x10 was available, I would've gotten that.

These days, I like pedaling faster, with less tension (minimal mashing). So I need all the ratios I can get.

It's like switching from tennis to golf where in tennis, you have 1 racket to do everything vs golf where you swing exactly the same way and it's the dozen or so clubs that give variation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2x10 is great if you carry your bike around on a motor vehicle and don't climb anything steep or technical. I expect triples will be all the rage next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Actually, the absolute best would be to have all the gears on one cassette and maybe have a 2 speed hub (normal + granny) for steep climbs.

ballbuster
    I use the low gears a lot. We ride some steep techy stuff, and I'm not in great shape. I like my 3x9 with a stupid low 20*36 granny with 180mm cranks. My hardtail has a 20*34 granny.

My issue with 2x10 is that the lowest gear isn't low enough for me, and the gap between the low ring and high ring is greater than one shift lever throw on my dual control shifters, meaning I have to shift twice to jump the ring in front.

Oh, and of course, my dual control shifters are 3x9 with no chance of upgrading them to 10 speed. Hopefully, Shimano will come out with 10 or 11 speed dual control, but I won't hold my breath.

I was eyeing that X11 stuff with the 42t big cog, but did the math and found that I would have to run a 28t or 26t front ring to get close to my 20x34, and I would lose all of my top range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    in the end if you run bigger rings you will get stronger. In fact one of the best ways to get stronger is to run a bigger ring than you normally do on a trail you know. My trail bike is a 3x10 with a bash ring (24/32 x 11/36). I ride a hardtail 26/40x11/34. I ride the hardtail on smoother trails but try to stay in the 40 ring. It is embarrassing to not clean stuff I normally clean because Im using the 40, but eventually I will.

2x10 vs 3x10 doesnt seem to be important to me. The only issue is that 3x10 you can run a bash ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I first switched to 2x10 so I could use a bash guard. Not long after that I realized that I didn't use the small ring much at all. After a couple test rides in the mountains that had some long and steep climbs, I converted to 1x10. Going from 3x10 to 1x10 with bash guard reduced the weight by 400 grams. With a 32 chain ring, I mainly use gears 2-5 and almost never use 1st gear (36).

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I converted from 3x10 to 2x10 mainly for ground clearance. Also, I virtually never used the big ring. $20 bucks for a BBG bash, turn in the limit screw on the FD, shorten the chain, and done.

I'm about ready for 1x10. Training for that by just staying out of the small ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm about ready for 1x10. Training for that by just staying out of the small ring.
    I've been doing this more often too. My end goal isn't really to go 1x, but more to build up my legs for serious abuse. If I wind up at the point where I virtually never use to small ring maybe the next build will get a 1x.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Is 2x10 that big of a deal?

It's awesome. You can use all 20 gears, compared with 3x10, where you can only really use 24.

Get to dah choppah
    This topic is usually put in terms of gear range, number of gears used, and weight, all of which are in favor of 2x. To me, those are secondary considerations.
    The TallboyC climbs quite differently in a small vs. middle-size ring, where it's active (some say too much so) in the small and more anti-squat in the middle. With a 2x10, i'm have to use the small ring in situations where i'd much prefer to use the middle. Some bikes are "blind" to the front cog, but not many.

The other gear selection situation is in variable singletrack when using the middle front with the second or third largest rear cog. With 1 3x, when you come to a steep / technical / switchback feature, you dump the front ring to small and power-on. With a 2x front you're either in the small ring already, which requires multiple rear changes, or in the large, which then requires a double shift. Either of those solutions requires you to back off and take more time than a 2x can buy you in efficiency.

Just IMO.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast