mtbr member
    Sep 2009

From a 2x10 to a 1x10

Currently I'm running a SRAM x9, 2x10 (26/39T, 12-36T). I raced XC all last year in the small ring only using the big ring for a flat 1 mile finish in one race.

This year I would like to convert to a 1x10. I would like to change out the 26T ring to a 28T or 30T. I have a few options let me know what you think.

1) The Widget, I think I could get in either the inner ring or the outer ring in either the 28T or 30T. The problem with this is the price at $160(shipped) and replacement rings $125(shipped)

2) I think I could get a race face light weight bash ring for the outer and a 28T for the inner. This would also require a N-Gear Jump stop. My question here is...Will the bash fit on the outer ring on a 2x10 SRAM X9 crank? This would be the cheapest option.

3) I could run a 32T on the outer ring with a e*13 chain guide. This would be a bigger ring than I wanted.

4) I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Keep in mind that the x9 crank is 120/80 BCD, your options might be limited by that

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If SRAM releases the XX1 spider separately, it supposedly fits on X0 cranks and I would assume X9 uses the same spider? XX1 rings aren't much cheaper than a Widget though.

mtbr member
    I think your best bet is to buy an XX1 crank. This would allow you the option to:
    1) easily swap chain rings w/o removing the crank.
    2) have good or most ideal chain line.
    3) possibly run w /o a chain keeper since the teeth are taller.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    I didn't have my 2x10 for all that long, but prior to buying my latest bike, I had been running a 1x9 for over a year and absolutely loved it. I tried the 2x10 and found the same thing you did... I rarely had the legs for the larger (42t) ring. I bought these cranks w/ BB for $89

Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and an e.13 XCX BB mount chain guide. It's now a flawless setup with the type 2 Sram X0 rear derailleur. I wouldn't recommend any lesser of a chain guide than what I have. If you're running a full suspension, you may also need some type of under-chain guide, but I'd ride it and see. The jump stop, didn't work at all for me, and at the time, it was on another hard tail with no flex in the rear. I also did a BBG bashwich and the chain would be all over the place with that setup as well. Of course, this is all dependant on the type of terrain you ride on... With your cranks, you could rock a MRP Bling Ring and choose pretty much any tooth size you want. You may have to modify the chain guide though if you go lower than 32t, since most of them are designed around a typical 104bcd ring.

mtbr member
    I did the same thing .My X9 cranks have a removable spider I just popped it off plopped
    on a MRP bling ring done deal perfect chain line . They come in 28-30-32-34. You may need some type of chain guide but that depends on set up I use the bionicon lower guide
    and have never dropped a chain.
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    I think your best bet is to buy an XX1 crank. This would allow you the option to:
    1) easily swap chain rings w/o removing the crank.
    2) have good or most ideal chain line.
    3) possibly run w /o a chain keeper since the teeth are taller.
    Do you need to run a XX1 chain as well? I'm curious because I want to upgrade the cranks and I keep hearing people say to run the XX1 crank but I'm not sure what else would be needed to keep the rest of my setup the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatisman View Post
    I didn't have my 2x10 for all that long, but prior to buying my latest bike, I had been running a 1x9 for over a year and absolutely loved it. I tried the 2x10 and found the same thing you did... I rarely had the legs for the larger (42t) ring. I bought these cranks w/ BB for $89

Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and an e.13 XCX BB mount chain guide. It's now a flawless setup with the type 2 Sram X0 rear derailleur. I wouldn't recommend any lesser of a chain guide than what I have. If you're running a full suspension, you may also need some type of under-chain guide, but I'd ride it and see. The jump stop, didn't work at all for me, and at the time, it was on another hard tail with no flex in the rear. I also did a BBG bashwich and the chain would be all over the place with that setup as well. Of course, this is all dependant on the type of terrain you ride on... With your cranks, you could rock a MRP Bling Ring and choose pretty much any tooth size you want. You may have to modify the chain guide though if you go lower than 32t, since most of them are designed around a typical 104bcd ring.
    I just put this crank on last week on my '10 GF X-Cal, along with a short cage x9 RD. Love the setup. ONly dropped a chain once so far. Putting on a e13 chain guide in the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would need a XX1 chain with that crank. This option looks like it could cost a lot. XX1 crank-$285 chain $58

I'm interested in the Bling ring idea. I don't know how the the Bling ring works and I don't know much about spiders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 292beach View Post
    I would need a XX1 chain with that crank. This option looks like it could cost a lot. XX1 crank-$285 chain $58

I'm interested in the Bling ring idea. I don't know how the the Bling ring works and I don't know much about spiders.
    Check out the Drivetrain forum. Look on the first page title, MRP Sram direct mount chain ring. Lots of info and pics for their new bling ring. I have a 30 on a hardtail and love it. I also have an unused 28 if interested. The only other thing u need to do is get a chain keeper, MRP, Pauls, Ethirteen, and then shorten your chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The idea of converting my 29'er from 2x10 to 1x10 mainly because my crank is a bit hammered but quite like the idea .

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 292beach View Post
    Currently I'm running a SRAM x9, 2x10 (26/39T, 12-36T).

4) I'm open to suggestions.
    Going with #4 in terms of suggestions - "If it isn't broken, why fix it?"

However you do it, it is going to cost you $$$. So ask yourself honestly the question if your bike's performance is going to change enough for the better to justify fixing what isn't broken. Or are there other components on your bike that would benefit more in terms of where you should spend your budget.

Your FD is currently acting as the chain retention device. Check
    You currently have a wider range of gears than you would if you went to a single ring. Check
    It's not broken. Check
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Going with #4 in terms of suggestions - "If it isn't broken, why fix it?"

However you do it, it is going to cost you $$$. So ask yourself honestly the question if your bike's performance is going to change enough for the better to justify fixing what isn't broken. Or are there other components on your bike that would benefit more in terms of where you should spend your budget.

Your FD is currently acting as the chain retention device. Check
    You currently have a wider range of gears than you would if you went to a single ring. Check
    It's not broken. Check
    I'm with Bruce on this one. You have a wider range of gears when you're racing / riding so if you have to bomb down a fireroad you're not going to spin out. It works great and you are use to your gear ratios with the current setup. Either you need to buy a new ring, single speed crankset, and a chainguide of some type. Just a ring and chain guide alone will cost around 70 dollars and that's for a cheap ring. You might as well just get a single speed crankset and sell your double if you go that route, but why fix what isn't broken. Put that money in a savings account or spend it somewhere else on the bike. I run a 1x9 and I would love to have the wide gearing that a 2x9 or 2x10 offers at times.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2 x10 104BCD Spider for SRAM X0 & X9 Cranks North Shore Billet

I'm moving my x9 to 1x10 this year as well and here is what I'm using. The smallest chainring I could find for the 120 bcd was 37t, this this seemed to work with the removable spider on the x9 crank to get it to 104bcd for smaller chainrings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Done...X9 crank, remove spider and add MRP ring and chain guide. 34T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails From a 2x10 to a 1x10-photo-copy-7.jpg