mtbr member

29er winter tire for cyclocross racing?

I'm looking for a set of Pacific Northwest winter tires for my Ogre, for muddy/wet trail conditions, as well as rough gravel roads. I also plan to do a handful of cyclocross races, and the courses will be very muddy. (Not trying to win, just have fun without crashing too much.) Also, any ride I do will also include at least 10 miles of pavement.

I know it's a tall order, but I'm hoping to find a set of tires I can leave on all winter for the above purposes. I don't like skinny cyclocross tires, so I'm hoping for something between 1.8" and 2.2".

I've spent hours searching the forums and considering the choices. The best options seem to be Bontrager Mud X, IRD Fire XC, Maxxis Beaver, or Schwalbe Little Albert. I'm looking for something that can handle the mud without too much compromise in less sticky conditions. Can anyone offer any comparisons of these tires from direct experience? Any other tires I should consider?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    After reading many positive reviews of its mud performance, I'm considering the Geax Gato for this task. While I thought I wanted something a bit narrower for the mud, I think I would prefer a wider tire for just about everything else. Bad idea to use the Gato as my exclusive winter tire? The budget is tight, so there can only be one...