mtbr member
    Aug 2012

29er Wheel Weight

What is considered lightweight for a 29er wheel?

What should I be paying for a 1500 gram aluminum 29er cross country wheel set?

davidcarson48
    I think that all depends on the person. I'm 200 pounds, so 1750 grams is light for me with aluminum rims.

1500 gram Crests should be easily possible with lightweight hubs and spokes. Under $1000 for sure. Under $700 with BHS hubs, i would think.

mtbr member
    If you want aluminum get Stan's. I don't think there's a better aluminum wheelset. Maybe Syntace but those wheels don't seem to exist.

Weights and prices are here. 29-inch Mountain Wheels

Then shop around for deals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had the Stan's Crest wheelset for almost a year & ~700 miles. The only issue I have is the freewheel engagement. It works well enough. However, it's just a little slow compared to the more expensive hubs. For the money, Stan's makes a really nice wheelset.

mtbr member
    Like others have mentioned there are many factors including rider's weight, riding style, terrain, etc. For me being over 200lbs and riding a full rigid I consider 1800g to be very light and 2000g to still be quite acceptable.

If your a light rider (both weight and riding style) then maybe a 1500g wheelset like the American Classic MTB Race at 1459g and $1000
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog