Thread: 29er Wheel Set

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

29er Wheel Set

I am currently Building a Jet nine RDO . I am on the fence of what wheelset to purchase. I am not sold on Carbon WHeel sets and the set i off Tubeless American Classic wheels are sold out. What should I get. I would like good engagment and around 1600 Grams

mtbr member
    I've built my own with arch-ex rims, chin-haur hubs (bikehubstore.com), and supercomps. Awesome wheels for the money.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi industry 9 wheels with Arch EX would be a good build.

Or you could try a set of the industry 9 Trail 24's

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

29er Wheel Set

How do you weigh and what's the budget?

mtbr member
    I just built up my Jet9 RDO on Arch EX rims with White Industries MI6 hubs. They've been great so far.

Plan #123-D
    If you're on any sort of a budget, the Black Flag Pro's are hard to beat for around $500....
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am 6.1 200lbs. I am stuck on the AEbut I would like to be 800$ 1000$ tops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The arch ex wheels are nice, but not gonna weigh around 1600. Mine are built with the ztr hubs, and over 1700 grams. Can't imagine any of the hubs listed above weighing that much less. But if you can prove me wrong, I'm definitely interested. Was gonna build a set with the crest rims, but worried I might weigh too much for them. The arch rims have been taking a beating for a season and still roll straight. Just really wanna try something in the sub 15-1600 category.

Any width preference? If not, the crossmax slr look nice. Or the Stan's race gold/black flag pro are really lightweight. A crest rim build will get you around 1600 grams for not too much money. I guess it comes down to how rough you are on wheels.

mtbr member
    If you ride light then Crests with hub of your choice and DT Swiss Supercomps built by a good wheel builder. To stay around your budget my hub of choice would be from Hope.

Also, I wouldn't sweat the weight of the hubs too much, be more concerned with PoE and reliability. I've always been of the opinion that rotational mass is more critical for the rim/tire combo than for hubs.

Set up the rims tubeless, run a couple of high quality tires and go tear things up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

29er Wheel Set

You can get the Flow/Hope combo for less than $500 from the UK. I just got a Crest/Hope set for less than $400, but I think you'll be too heavy for them (they weigh 1690). The Hope hubs are nice and convert to almost anything you need. They are loud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OK so what tires to I get. I really really like maxxxis igniter for the front. I can run just about anything in the back And be OK. But everyone is telling me to run Max is ikons or front with ardent I think it was on the rear

mtbr member
    I run Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 in the rear and Ardent 2.25 up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

29er Wheel Set

Tires are pretty specific to your terrain/trails - ask around on your local forum. I personally run micro knobs in back, but big knobs in front to keep my face off the dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by springer912 View Post
    OK so what tires to I get.
    Tires depend on conditions.

Dry and dusty: I run a worn RaRa up front and a Crow out back.
    Wet and Muddy: Rampage 2.4 upfront and Bonty ACX out back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Live in Florida but some hard and some sand. I am a old MX rider so I am big on front wheel grip. I am going off a giant anthem x2 29er alum now going to inner jet rdo carbon. Hope its better

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a brand new Pivot 429C with dt Swiss 400 wheels. On my first ride, about 5 miles in, the front rim folded under. I didn't hit any rocks, wasn't jumping, and wasn't in a rut. I weigh 167#. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm completely clueless as to what happened. I was following in the path of a rider in front of me, and the rider behind me said he saw the wheel give way, I wasn't doing anything unusual, and he has no explanation for what he saw. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    BTW, I ended up cracking my helmet on a rock, and ended up with a concussion. The helmet very much did its job. Don't even consider riding without one

mtbr member
    Level 2 Crank Brother Iodine are Awesome and come in well below your weight threshold. Make sure you view reviews of 2012 and newer product as they had Hub issues on the earlier models.

mtbr member
    Correction... They are a bit above your weight threshold. I still say they should be considered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What about Bontragers race x light? I'm about 210lbs, i ride aggresive xc, and never had problems with them.