Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

29er vs 700c tire

Ok, maybe I'm the stupid one.

I recently bought a 29er about a month ago from Performance bikes after about 17 years of doing nothing. I'm thinking about getting a set of road tires, until I'm ready to hit the trails.

I told the sales guy I was looking into getting a set of 700x35 for my 29er. the current tires are 29x2.1. he told me that 700c and 29inch rims are entirely two different sizes and that there is no way I can fit a 700c tire on my 29er rim. he sure made me feel stupid, and i felt emabarrassed.

I always thought that 29er and 700c rims had identical circumference. I figured mounting a skinny 700c on my MTB rim may not be possible or if it is, not advisable. but I was looking for a fat-ish 700c tire, which shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No problem at all. Get a pair of those 700x35 tires, mount them in your "29er" rims and show them to the sales guy. Bring a camera and take a picture of his face. As long as the 700 tire is wider than your rim (and a 35 mm tire should be) you won´t have any problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raposu
    No problem at all. Get a pair of those 700x35 tires, mount them in your "29er" rims and show them to the sales guy. Bring a camera and take a picture of his face. As long as the 700 tire is wider than your rim (and a 35 mm tire should be) you won´t have any problem.

thanks, I'm ordering some tomorrow...I just lost confidence in the guys at Performance Bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Second that. My 700c x 35 street tires mount up perfectly fine on my WTB Dual Duty 29er rims, and these are now my dedicated street wheels. (I roll on a set of Salsa Semi 29er wheels on the dirt.)

Underskilled
    I run the schwalbe big apples and reccomend them highly.

When you do confront the bike shop muppet, please make sure his collegues are standing near by and remind him how stupid he made you feel.

sop
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    You actually had confidence in the guys working at Performance Bike?

mtbr member
    700c rims are 622 mm in diameter. 29er rims are 62.2 cm.

Seriously, everyone else is quite correct. You can run 700c road tires on your rims. Don't get the really super skinny ones like on a racing bike, but you should be able to run 35mm tires without trouble. I have some 38mm tires that I run occasionally.

The issue with skinny racing tires on a 29er bike is that at some point as you get narrower and narrower on your tire, you need to also get a narrower rim. For example, the rims on my Hifi are 28mm wide. I wouldn't try mounting a 23mm tire onto a 28mm wide rim. I could probably mount it, but I prefer my tires to be wider than my rims.

Watch for the ISO numbers on tires. 622 is the magic number for 29er and 700c. 559 is the magic number for 26-inch tires on current-model 26ers.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope Performance Bikes good place to save money

If you want advice Performance is hit or miss, I'd recommend a local privately owned bike shop for advice or a good bike mechanic. The Prices of tubes, tires and Do Dads are really good at Performance and at REI. The LBS is usually more expensive but a better place for atmosphere and Guidence.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Even on my Kenda Nevegal 29 x 2.2 has a marking beside it that says 700 x 55

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just mounted a couple 38c interwolfs on my salsa la cruz's 29er rims. It's most definitely possible... I had 31c tires on beforehand.

I hate it when bike shop employees know less than the average biker then proceed to make the average biker think they're stupid. My buddy would be riding a hybrid by now had he taken the last horrible advice I heard... supposedly these fancy hybrids are superior to mountain bikes in almost every way. There are some great shops and some horrible ones.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Guy at REI tried telling me the same thing. I laughed heartily at him and went outside, brought in my bike, and educated him.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope Don't worry about Performance or REI You got Us

Not only can you run 700c road tires on your 29er, you can build some kooky disc brake wheels with way light 700c Carbon fiber road rims. You own an extremely versatile machine OP. You could run sew up rims if you wanted to. Cyclocross tires on the stock rims sound like a great idea. Oh did REI go you to become a member, Perfomance did with me but it was free.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You should have laughed in his face and called him an idiot. Some kid did that to me once, he tried to make me feel like an idiot when I asked "Where are your biggest presta valve 700C tubes?" He asked me what it was for and I told him my 29er and he proceeded to tell me that they don't carry 29er tubes and 700C was totally the wrong size." "700C and 29ers are like two inches different in diameter." he said.

One of the service guys saw that I was getting really annoyed and frustrated by this kid and asked "what is he looking for?" To which the kid replies, "29er tubes, you know, the ones we don't have." The service guy said "yes we do, those 700x48 tubes on the shelf in back are for 29ers. 29er wheels are just wider 700C wheels. Same diameter as a road bike. We should be getting some bigger tubes in soon." The kid looked like he had seen a ghost.

Bike store kids are dumb. I remember the time I was looking for tubeless strips and valves for my "Tubeless ready" Bontrager wheels and the kid tried to tell me I had everything I needed already.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Performance is a bit misleading by name. I am not sure what they are alluding to when referring to "performance". Yep...good for deals on small stuff. I don't recommend asking them too many questions....

Kind of like Home Depot. Good for deals...not for advice.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    You should have laughed in his face and called him an idiot. Some kid did that to me once, he tried to make me feel like an idiot when I asked "Where are your biggest presta valve 700C tubes?" He asked me what it was for and I told him my 29er and he proceeded to tell me that they don't carry 29er tubes and 700C was totally the wrong size." "700C and 29ers are like two inches different in diameter." he said.

One of the service guys saw that I was getting really annoyed and frustrated by this kid and asked "what is he looking for?" To which the kid replies, "29er tubes, you know, the ones we don't have." The service guy said "yes we do, those 700x48 tubes on the shelf in back are for 29ers. 29er wheels are just wider 700C wheels. Same diameter as a road bike. We should be getting some bigger tubes in soon." The kid looked like he had seen a ghost.

Bike store kids are dumb. I remember the time I was looking for tubeless strips and valves for my "Tubeless ready" Bontrager wheels and the kid tried to tell me I had everything I needed already.
    must be nice to know everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys. Next time, I'll avoid asking those guys at Performance for their opinions. They just happen to be close to my home and have stuff in stock, so I make a lot of quick stops there.

Anyways, I ordered 2 Schwalbe Delta Cruiser in Cream (700cx35). They were cheap ($20/piece). Hope to get them soon.

Thanks again folks.

MTB B'dos
    To the OP, that "tech rep" is an a$$, when you get your "700C" non 29er tyres take your bike back in and show him that they actually fit

GTR-33, the kid was actually right, but he didn't know about which diameter he was speaking - Rims are the same diameter, BUT, a 700c road tyre is roughly 2" smaller in OUTER diameter than a 29er tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33

..........................................yada.... .......................
    Last edited by LyNx; 10-30-2009 at 04:10 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

willtsmith_nwi
    Yeah, you probably dont want to run road racing tires on your 29er rims, but touring/city tires work great.

I have Panaracer T-Servs mounted up to my Dual Dutys on my Cyclocross bike (which is my road bike). They are the biggest tires that fit under fenders. For my Karate Monkey ... the Schwalbe Big Apple!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's one for the rep- Do 26" tubes fit 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Here's one for the rep- Do 26" tubes fit 29er wheels?
    yes sir. That's the only kind I run. Matching the cross sectional size of the tube (such as 2.1") is more important than the diameter. That said, they are a little trickier to install because you have to stretch them over the rim. Some people get easily frustrated by that

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yea, I don't mind doing the extra work at home, but for the trail, I carry a full sized spare.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here is a picture of 700x38 tires mounted on Salsa Delgado 29er wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er vs 700c tire-surly-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Went to performance today on my lunch break to pick up some street tires for my 29er.

I was 90% sure a 700c tire would fit my 29 rim.....but asked an employee to be 100%sure. The employee told me that 700c was a 28 inch rim and that I should check performance online for 29er road tires.

I should have checked out this forum first. Thanks for clearing this up guys.

transmitter~receiver
    The kid clearly didn't know what he was talking about (they did, in fact, have tubes that would work), and your trying to split hairs to skewer GTR ain't right either. Read what you made bold in the quote.
    29er tires are 700c. You're the one who added "road."
    Anything to jump someone's case, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    To the OP, that "tech rep" is an a$$, when you get your "700C" non 29er tyres take your bike back in and show him that they actually fit

GTR-33, the kid was actually right, but he didn't know about which diameter he was speaking - Rims are the same diameter, BUT, a 700c road tyre is roughly 2" smaller in diameter than a 29er tyre.

MTB B'dos
    NO, was just pointing out that some only read/hear stuff and the fact that the OUTER diameter might be what he heard is what lead him to beleuve that 29er/700C are differnt sizes. I forgot to add outer it seems to totally clear the statement up, but from earlier parts of my post I figured it was "reconized". I've adjusted it, so as to be totally acurate.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    The kid clearly didn't know what he was talking about (they did, in fact, have tubes that would work), and your trying to split hairs to skewer GTR ain't right either. Read what you made bold in the quote.
    29er tires are 700c. You're the one who added "road."
    Anything to jump someone's case, it seems.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast