Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er tyre for enduro/am

6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  John 
#1 ·
I am current using a nic nobby, this trye is great but I loose traction in soft surface like sand and wet rocks. Can you please recommend a 29er tyre that has good traction and fast to roll. I will mainly use it for enduro- am trails.

#19 ·
I'm running trance x 2013. The tyre pressure is 45.
Use lower pressures!
If I purchase 29x2.4 is it compatible with the wheel set?
I already answered this.
What about the maxxis ardent? whats the advantage/disadvantage of running 29x2.4 vs 29x2.25?
If you have traction issues with the Nic, you will not like the Ardent.

Higher volume tires let you use less air pressure for more traction and cush. In the case of the Ardent, the tread is a bit more aggressive on the 2.40.

#14 ·
I tried out a WTB Bronson TCS (tubeless ready) last year and was so happy with it I bought another one for the back... great cornering grip and fast rolling front and back. I've also never had a tire catch the bead so well tubeless as the Bronson does. It says 2.2, but the nobs on the side are so wide it measures more like 2.35

#18 · (Edited)
Re: tire pressure. Experiment. i don't run less than 30psi front on any front tire when I am AM. To much tire squirm at 230lbs, when I am riding the edges of the tires.

Edit, i run tubeless.

Also Nevegals are horrible. I ripped the side nobs off a new tire in the front in 1 day at big bear on my Stache

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

#20 ·
For the soft sand around my area (high desert) I have been running the Geax Gato 2.3 Front and the Geax Saguaro 2.2 rear. Great combo for anything but slick roots/rocks and mud. I have been able to claw my way up pretty decent and loose inclines while my friends have struggled to keep the bike going. So far I am a happy camper with the setup, for the few winter months when things get a bit wetter, I use the Gato up front and then a Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss 2.25 in the back. Great combo as well but doesn't do quite as good in the loose.

#21 ·
I finally decided to purchase a Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4, because for the type of riding I need a aggressive tread for great tractions.

Maxxis specified that Ardent 2.40 is not suitable for tubeless use. Do you think I could still run this as a tubeless tubes?

When fast descending do you think tubeless tube is preferable, I noticed most of the DH rider does not like running tubeless.

#24 ·
I always thought the NoNi was a great front tire for aggressive riding on loose stuff, but I actually just found one that works much better for "me"...the rocket Ron. A great tire for sand, mud, wet...and still rolls fast and low psi friendly. I've had way less sketchy moments on the RoRo then NoNi, Ardent, or Hans. I honestly didn't expect it at all...thought I was loosing traction to save weight but lucked out. Kinda reminds me of the maxxis ignitor, which I still love...just not as much sidewall protection as the snakeskin schwalbe. Only problem with the rocket ron is that 2.25 is the widest, but that's probably equal or wider the most maxxis 2.35 tires. Darn size discrepancies between brands!

Just my 2 cents...I learned a long time ago that oversized, tall, spaced out side lugs don't always inspire confidence in all conditions...kinda the opposite for me in loose or wet conditions. Let us know what you decide on...I'm always looking for new tires to test out bases on member reviews. Cheers.

Also, have you looked at the ignitor?

#26 ·
For sand you want a wide tire without too many knobs so it floats over the sand instead of digging in. My suggestion would be something like a Schwalbe Racing Ralph or Continental X-King 2.4 and LOWER YOUR PRESSURES. Your trails aren't rough, you will not flat with lower pressures.

Apart from that, my advice is technique. You want to throw your weight back when going in a patch of sand so you weight is behind both tires. Push on your pedals forward instead fo downwards and float through the sand. Sand and other similar surfaces (snow as far as I'm concerned) is extremelly tough to ride and if you do a lot of sand riding, you might even want to consider a fat bike like many people around Moab and Fruita.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.