Front Range Cyclist

29er tubulars: 1.7 to 1.9 options??

I just know of the Dugast models and know they are pricey and impossible to find. Any other options in the 1.7-1.9 tubular category for 29ers?
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubular is marked 2.0, but in reality more like 1.8". Probably pricey too. My local shop sells those for 65 and Dugast for 99, but you are probably not on my continent .

To compare, high end Schwalbe tires are around 40,- (52 USD), so if you are in the US, compare with US Schwalbe pricing and you get an idea of what the price of the tubulars would be, IF they are available at all.

Maybe you have better luck with Geax. They offer at least 3 tires in their range in a tubular and 1.9-ish variety, but I have no idea of availability of those either.

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    The Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubular is marked 2.0, but in reality more like 1.8". Probably pricey too. My local shop sells those for 65 and Dugast for 99, but you are probably not on my continent .

To compare, high end Schwalbe tires are around 40,- (52 USD), so if you are in the US, compare with US Schwalbe pricing and you get an idea of what the price of the tubulars would be, IF they are available at all.

Maybe you have better luck with Geax. They offer at least 3 tires in their range in a tubular and 1.9-ish variety, but I have no idea of availability of those either.
    So do the Geax tires run small too? That may be an easier way to go. Schwalve is so expensive over here and they don't last very long at all.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cool stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cassoulet forever !
    i use tufo XC2 tubulars, and like them a lot. They are a small 2.0

Might try to get the bigger XC4 for next spring
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo View Post
    So do the Geax tires run small too? That may be an easier way to go. Schwalve is so expensive over here and they don't last very long at all.
    CyclocrossWorld has the Saugaro on sale for $40, but they are true to size at 50-51mm.

They have the Schwalbe for $157 , more than Dugasts, which they have in stock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bellydraft
    I have the xc2 and racing Ralph's,and started with a set of dugasts(looked cool but the tape split first ride). The Tufo and schwalbes are nearly identical outside knob to knob,and right at 2". The schwalbes are a tiny bit lighter,and also have a more square profile,with more pronounced cornering knobs. Both very quick. Mine are mounted on enve 29er xx wheels. The tufos ride supremely. The Dugast tires didn't last long enough for me to form an opinion. The schwalbe up front,in my area,is a much grippier tire than the Tufo. Will mount a rear tomorrow. Tufos are probably great for hardpack,which we don't have. They are excellent over roots. Not great over loose,leafy,sand over hard. Again,ride quality is primo. Also,I found the Tufo tape to be super easy. It also made it much easier for me to mount the tires perfectly straight,and I never had a failure. Glued the schwalbes. I'm not real experienced w gluing,but could be worse.
    This may hurt a little..

Bellydraft
    I have the xc2 and racing Ralph's,and started with a set of dugasts(looked cool but the tape split first ride). The Tufo and schwalbes are nearly identical outside knob to knob,and right at 2". The schwalbes are a tiny bit lighter,and also have a more square profile,with more pronounced cornering knobs. Both very quick. Mine are mounted on enve 29er xx wheels. The tufos ride supremely. The Dugast tires didn't last long enough for me to form an opinion. The schwalbe up front,in my area,is a much grippier tire than the Tufo. Will mount a rear tomorrow. Tufos are probably great for hardpack,which we don't have. They are excellent over roots. Not great over loose,leafy,sand over hard. Again,ride quality is primo. Also,I found the Tufo tape to be super easy. It also made it much easier for me to mount the tires perfectly straight,and I never had a failure. Glued the schwalbes. I'm not real experienced w gluing,but could be worse.
    This may hurt a little..