mtbr member
    Mar 2011

29er Tubeless Race Tires

I am really struggling with finding good tires for my new Niner EMD race bike. Seems like tire models are so complicated, its hard to know what you're getting into... Let alone finding some cheaper online.

I live in and race (collegiately) in Colorado, so really a mix of conditions here. I dont expect to have super light tubeless tires, so thats not my biggest concern. I just need something fast rolling and durable.

The bike came with Maxxis Ikon (front) and Crossmark (rear), non tubeless. I wasnt crazy about the traction of these, and the higher pressure of the tubes probably didnt help with that. But then I double flatted and knew it was time to go tubeless (my other bike is setup tubeless, and I love it).

So I switched to Conti Mountain King 2 (front) and Xking (rear), the protection series. They were impressively light and very suggested by the LBS. However I have already gashed the front tire and I am NOT impressed with the wear on the rear tire (100 miles).

SO! Any suggestions?

Cliffnotes: Fast rolling, durable tire needed for my Niner race bike.

mtbr member
    Why not set the Maxxis rubber up tubeless, lower the pressure, help with flats and probably traction?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Why not set the Maxxis rubber up tubeless, lower the pressure, help with flats and probably traction?
    Because they are not a tubeless tire, and I have learned the hard way that it doesn't end well to run a non tubeless tire, tubeless...

Dropshot Champ!
    why not? tons of people do it without problems.

A majority of the tires I run on my race hardtail are nontubeless, setup tubeless. Works great on all conditions

mtbr member
    I set up the exact Maxxis tires on my buddies bike tubeless a few days ago, they work just fine - what is the issue? What rims are using? Some really good tires would be the Schwable Racing Ralphs. Only downside is price. Specy makes great tubeless ready tires, what about the Fast Trak? I run one of these on the front it works nicely.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Second the RR's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Schwalbe ralphs tubless-ready snake-skin as a rear and nobby nic TL SS front have been a very reliable tubeless combination for me. Also have a NN for the rear when conditions are wet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
    Because they are not a tubeless tire, and I have learned the hard way that it doesn't end well to run a non tubeless tire, tubeless...
    I strictly use non-tubeless tires on Stan's rims with no issues for the last 2 years; would not do it any other way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just set up a set of Schwalbe Rocket Rons on a set of Stan's rims. They set up extremely easy and I had never set up a tubeless tire before.

mtbr member
    RaRa rear and NoNi front combo

Order from the UK to save money...Merlin or Wiggle
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0