Thread: 29er Tires

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

29er Tires

I am looking at new tires for my 2013 Cobia.
    I found a 1.30 Schwalbe Racing Ralph tire.
    My question is: Is that size too small for a bike that will become less of a XC hardtail, and more of an All-Mountain hardtail?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Yes, way too small. For XC, 2.0 to 2.3 is typical. For all-mountain, 2.2 to 2.4.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Thank you for a response. I do think that 1.30 is a size too small, and now I found a 2.10 tire, which I prefer.
    I want to have the same tire setup on my Cobia as my F9. The 2.25 is in the rear, 2.10 is in the front.

Forth Eorlingas!

ballbuster
    1.30 is like street comfort bike size, or cyclocross size.

For XC use, you really want something 1.9 minimum... and that's if you are weight weenie racerboy who needs sheer go-fast speed more than traction. Also, may tire mfgs basically lie about their tire size. I've seen some 2.5 tires that were actually smaller than another mfg's 2.2 tire.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

29er Tires

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Thank you for a response. I do think that 1.30 is a size too small, and now I found a 2.10 tire, which I prefer.
    I want to have the same tire setup on my Cobia as my F9. The 2.25 is in the rear, 2.10 is in the front.
    The 1.30" (700x33) RaRa is a cyclocross tire, not a mtb tire.

2.1 is still considered small for "all mountain".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    More width at the front helps with cornering grip.
    You should go with the 2.25 Nobby Nic mounted backwards(side knob grip) at about 20psi. It is a good all around tire for the front and won't wash out as easily as the RaRa in turns on hardpack. It also tracks into turns better so you won't run wide as easily.. You can go RaRa 2.25 on the rear. The 2.10 is a light race tire with thin sidewalls. The RaRa rolls a little faster but you can't take turns as fast. A 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear with give you a softer ride because of the larger volume acting as a bit of suspension. You can run them tubeless even though not labeled ready.
    Save money and buy the Performance dual compound at about 37 instead of the triple compound Evo at 60+.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire 29x2. 25 Performance Folding @ eBikeStop.com

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    More width at the front helps with cornering grip.
    You should go with the 2.25 Nobby Nic mounted backwards(side knob grip) at about 20psi. It is a good all around tire for the front and won't wash out as easily as the RaRa in turns on hardpack. It also tracks into turns better so you won't run wide as easily.. You can go RaRa 2.25 on the rear. The 2.10 is a light race tire with thin sidewalls. The RaRa rolls a little faster but you can't take turns as fast. A 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear with give you a softer ride because of the larger volume acting as a bit of suspension. You can run them tubeless even though not labeled ready.
    Save money and buy the Performance dual compound at about 37 instead of the triple compound Evo at 60+.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire 29x2. 25 Performance Folding @ eBikeStop.com
    The triple compound EVO is well worth the extra money due to the rolling resistance numbers over the performance dual compound version. The EVO tire is a fast tire, the performance line will such the energy out of your legs as they are not as fast and require a higher power output to keep speed.

I have decided on the 2.25 Nibby Nic for the front, and the 2.25 Racing Ralph for the back. Thank you for your responses.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    May 2012

29er Tires

While I loved the 2.35 Nobby Nic I used to have, I wasn't enamored with the Performance version after I tore a sidewall with less than 150 miles on it. And those were Midwest miles (Kansas City area trails), with some rocky areas, but not a ton. Still not sure what caused it because I definitely wasn't on a rocky trail when it blew. But I did like the grip and handling a lot. Rolled pretty well too. I'd go Nic again, but would definitely spring for a model with heavier sidewalls for durability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The triple compound EVO is well worth the extra money due to the rolling resistance numbers over the performance dual compound version. The EVO tire is a fast tire, the performance line will such the energy out of your legs as they are not as fast and require a higher power output to keep speed.
    That doesn't happen for me. Plus the 2013 model is dual compound now with a harder and probably faster rolling center tread.
    The side knobs on the Evo tear too easily on hardpack.

If you want to use tubes, I use 26x2.1-2.5 for front and rear at 20psi or less front and 5psi more rear without pinch flatting. They stretch out fine. Add a small amount of air as you mount them to start the stretch out to the larger diameter. They are cheaper and easier to find on sale too.

I haven't had a sidewall tear on any Performance Schwalbe tire, but I have no shale.

I have another question.
    How is this setup?: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 in the rear, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 in the front.

Forth Eorlingas!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have another question.
    How is this setup?: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 in the rear, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 in the front.
    Exactly the opposite of how I would run them.

Why have the gnarlier, wider tire on the back of the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Exactly the opposite of how I would run them.
    So you would have a wider tire in front? I always thought that a wider tire would be best on the back for grip, and that a narrower tire on the front would be better handling.

Forth Eorlingas!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    So you would have a wider tire in front? I always thought that a wider tire would be best on the back for grip, and that a narrower tire on the front would be better handling.
    The current trend is that if you're going to run a wider tire, to run it on the front for better steering control, and the narrower tire with less prodigious knobs on the back so it rolls with less resistance, and (being narrower) digs down through the fluff for better climbing and braking performance. Although there is a performance penalty for climbing and braking with smaller knobs in back, most are willing to make that concession for better rolling resistance and the fact that in straight line braking, your front wheel is capable of more stopping power.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

29er Tires

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The current trend is that if you're going to run a wider tire, to run it on the front for better steering control, and the narrower tire with less prodigious knobs on the back so it rolls with less resistance, and (being narrower) digs down through the fluff for better climbing and braking performance. Although there is a performance penalty for climbing and braking with smaller knobs in back, most are willing to make that concession for better rolling resistance and the fact that in straight line braking, your front wheel is capable of more stopping power.
    A current trend that has been around for 25-30 years
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    A current trend that has been around for 25-30 years
    Relative to how long the bicycle has been in existence. . . .