mtbr member
    Nov 2012

29er Tire Recommendations

Hi..

I ride a Trek Remedy 9 29 and am in need of new tires. The Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, 29x2.30-inch worked well, and when I upgraded from 2.25 to 2.3 when switching bikes, I liked the increased with. I ride a combination of XC and technical trails, a pretty good balance, and want to continue to run tubeless. I like to be able to go fast but having the grip for technical terrain is important. What are your recommendations? Is 2.4 too wide? My first possibility so far is Maxxis Ardent 2.4's (maybe 2.25 in back)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I'll bite

Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Hi..

I ride a Trek Remedy 9 29 and am in need of new tires. The Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, 29x2.30-inch worked well, and when I upgraded from 2.25 to 2.3 when switching bikes, I liked the increased with. I ride a combination of XC and technical trails, a pretty good balance, and want to continue to run tubeless. I like to be able to go fast but having the grip for technical terrain is important. What are your recommendations? Is 2.4 too wide? My first possibility so far is Maxxis Ardent 2.4's (maybe 2.25 in back)...
    If you are looking at the Ardent –*you might consider the Specialized Butcher 2.3 up front. I love that freaking tire up front. Sticky icky ooh. I've been running a cheap Pisgah Forté in the rear, and has held up well till yesterday when it blew off the rim. So back to to the Purgatory for the rear. If you want to spend more money, the Swchable line roles well even in their aggressive treads like the Hans Dampf.

mtbr member
    i've owned and ridden the 2.4 Ardent and the 2.35 Hans Dampf. The HD is a better tire but the Ardent is very close. I love the volume/cush of the Maxxis and it worked really well with my 100mm fork. The 120mm i have now seem to like the HD a bit better (rolls a bit faster and corners better) but either one would be outstanding in my opinion.
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

rider
    Jan 2005
    Without more input as to your trail conditions I would not be able to make good tire suggestions.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Having owned Ardents and seeing Hans Dampf up close I would have to agree the Hans Dampf looks better. The 3.4 Ardents seem narrower than the 2.35 Hans Dampf. I'm guessing the Hans Dampf holds more air while the Arndents are marginally wider at the knobs. My favorite tire by far are the 2.4 Racing Ralphs and if the Hans Dampf is any where remotely close to what the RR feel like then I would get them in a heartbeat. There is something about the Schwalbe rubber that makes the feel soft smooth on the trails and yet they are durable and light and can be run at very low tire pressure. I run my RR tubeless and have never had a flat. They are amazing tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have used the Ardent 2.4, works well especially at lower pressures. I recently switched to the Spec. Purgatory 2.3 and now the Spec. Butcher 2.3. Both of the Spec. tires have been excellent . The Butcher really sticks to everything, being a low Duro. compound. For me they even tubless with a floor pump and cost is reasonable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My trail conditions vary greatly. Some trails are full of never ending small rocks and roots while others are hard packed and fast. While others are full of big chunky rocks at times with loose soil in others. Its NE singletrack, it varies from minute to minute.

I wound up getting the Ardent 2.4 for the front and MKII 2.2 for the back. I liked the Ardent up front but the MKII was all over the place in back. It was sliding out on my on every corner, and I adjusted the PSI a few times during the ride. I should also mention that I weigh 230 lbs.

So I'm not sure if the issue was due to my weight, the size of the tire, or the style of the tire. Any thoughts? Should I go with a 2.4 MKII or go in a different direction?

Luke

mtbr member
    Im runing a 2.4 purgatory up front and a 2.3 in the rear mounted up to Pacenti DL31's tubeless and they work awesome. Tried the 2.4 in the rear but rubbed on frame.