mtbr member
    Dec 2009

29er tire puncture proof and yet road compatible..

hi..

i'm looking for a wide (around 2.2) tire who is both puncture resilient (although i'll mr.tuffy liners under it) but also have a good grip road, the reason i want 29er tyres is that our roads can sometimes be.. very pot hole loaded ,with cracks the size of half my tires. so far i have the cont puncture-proof mnt king, but i understand i won't hold up in the rain.

my rims are sputnik rigida, and i don't want to use tubless conversion kits.

ballbuster
    THere are a whole bunch of big street tires... WTB Vulpines come to mind. You're probably looking for something, like Specailized Protection series... not that I would recommend anybody giving those evil bastids at Specailized any money.

Why wouldn't any tire hold up in the rain? Pretty much any tire with tread is going to suck on pavement, especially in the rain.

You're probably better off with Hybrid bike tires... like 1.5s or so, and steer around/over the obstacles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i already have 700c, an streering clear of pot holes while riding on bike in the road, is like an arcade game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    emaayan, the Schwalbe Big Apple is very worthy of your consideration in either the 2.0 or 2.15 size. I'm using the latter, its smooth ride is very appreciated on lousy pavement and so is the puncture resistance. The downside is it's quite heavy and thus slower accelerating, but the cruising speed is high and easily maintained. I LOVE them for commuting and around town pleasure riding!

mtbr member
    I've been very happy with Continental Cruise Contact 2.0 on my city bike. My teenage son was having puncture problems on his bike he rides to school so I got a set for him too and so far so good. They are now available as 29 X 2.2.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.