Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

29er Stumpy Comp: How To Convert To 2Bliss?

Hi Guys,

Running 2bliss ready tires (Sworks Renegade/ Fast Trak LK) on DT Swiss rims (450SL). Thinking of converting to save weight and reduce annoying thorn flats.

What are the Pros & Cons of 2bliss and what do I need to buy to convert?

thanks,

bob

mtbr member
    I went tubeless on S-Works Renegades. I needed rim tape, Stan's sealant, and tubeless valves (I think). It should be pretty simple.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Does the tape just seal the spoke holes?

bob

mtbr member
    With the 450SLs there is a plastic rim strip that goes in the rim, it covers the spoke holes & has valves.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    With the 450SLs there is a plastic rim strip that goes in the rim, it covers the spoke holes & has valves.
    Do you mean that it is already there or that is something I can buy?

bob

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I see the red strip. So, all I need are the valves and Stans?

mtbr member
    Not sure about the Stumpjumper...but my Carve had red rim strips and they are just normal strips.

I used the Stan's tape (wrapped twice), Stan's valve stems, and three cups of Stan's fluid.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Not sure about the Stumpjumper...but my Carve had red rim strips and they are just normal strips.

I used the Stan's tape (wrapped twice), Stan's valve stems, and three cups of Stan's fluid.
    Are they the same DT Swiss 450SL rims? The red strips look like they would seal but I want to be sure? Did your carve come with 2bliss tires?

thx

mtbr member
    Try putting just the tire on without any Stans and see if you can get it to seal.

It sounds like they may have changed the rim design a bit. Mine have plastic rim strips instead of tape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My Stumpy came from the factory with yellow tape on the rims (520SL 29er), 2Bliss tires, and the tubeless valves in the bag with the manual. I installed the valves and added some Stan's the day I brought it home and never looked back. I have since switched to fiberglass reenforced packing tape on the rims (single wrap crossed over at the stem hole), I find it lasts very well, is cheap, and readily available. Only flats over the last three years were unavoidables like torn sidewalls.

A couple of things I wish someone would have told me... don't tighten up the stems to much, you can pull them through the rim. High tire pressures can pop the tape through the spoke holes. And deburring any sharp edges on the the stem and spoke holes with help the tape and stems last longer.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
    Are they the same DT Swiss 450SL rims? The red strips look like they would seal but I want to be sure? Did your carve come with 2bliss tires?

thx
    My wheels are the stock "Carve" wheels.

I have the Ground Control 2bliss tires. They sealed up on the first try. No issues.

Did your wheels come with tubless valves?

mtbr member
    My 2013 Stumpy Comp came already taped for tubeless. Tape was brown-ish and said 2bliss all over it I think. Pull out the tubes, install the included valve stems, pour in Stan's, and pump up. No issues using just a floor pump.

Happy Trails

29er Stumpy Comp: How To Convert To 2Bliss?

Use sealant. Otherwise you'll still get thorn flats.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Use sealant. Otherwise you'll still get thorn flats.
    Sealant for sure! I'm trying to find out if the red strip over the spoke holes is tape or just a protector? It doesn't say "2bliss" or any markings on it and it looks thicker than tape but appears to be adhered to the rim; I can't peel or lift it.

If I get the Stan's tape:
    Stan's NoTubes Rim Tape : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

What size for this wheel and do I remove the existing red strip?

thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Same for my 2011 model, no need to replace the tape...

Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy View Post
    My 2013 Stumpy Comp came already taped for tubeless. Tape was brown-ish and said 2bliss all over it I think. Pull out the tubes, install the included valve stems, pour in Stan's, and pump up. No issues using just a floor pump.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    My wheels are the stock "Carve" wheels.

I have the Ground Control 2bliss tires. They sealed up on the first try. No issues.

Did your wheels come with tubless valves?
    No, it was an employee purchase blem.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Same for my 2011 model, no need to replace the tape...
    Called Spesh this AM and they said the 450sl's are 2bliss ready, no tape needed. valves and Stans on the way!

bob

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Update: Bought 2 new S-works Renegade tires, installed the Stan's valves and had a ***** of a time inflating even with a compressor; the renegades are so thin that they don't have enough shape to meet the rim. I finally get them to seal only to have a bunch of spoke holes blowing by! So much for Spesh tech support .

So I remember reading about Gorilla duct tape and have a brand new roll, cut a nice strip pull it tight over the holes work it in, fight to get air and it's still leaking from the same spoke holes !! So I guess I have to order some Stan's rim tape. Why didn't the Gorilla tape seal? I even sanded the rim before applying.

thx

bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did you remove the other rim strip and run the Gorilla all the way around? Did you clean the rim after you sanded? Use denatured alcohol or 90% rubbing alcohol. Denatured is better though. Make sure your valve stem is in snug as well. If air is getting past it, it will also come out of spoke holes. I am running S-works Renegades on both me and my wifes bikes and I seat them with a floor pump. Double check everything.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Did you remove the other rim strip and run the Gorilla all the way around? Did you clean the rim after you sanded? Use denatured alcohol or 90% rubbing alcohol. Denatured is better though. Make sure your valve stem is in snug as well. If air is getting past it, it will also come out of spoke holes. I am running S-works Renegades on both me and my wifes bikes and I seat them with a floor pump. Double check everything.
    Yes, removed the plastic factory red strip and yes all the way around, tight and pressed.
    I only wiped the rim with a clean towel. The stem was loose at first but passed the soap bubble test after tightening. The same spokes that were leaking with the factory red plastic tape were also leaking w/ the gorilla tape (I marked the leakers w/ painter tape)

I don't see how those Renegades could seat with a floor pump (I believe you) seeing how floppy they are!

Did you do 1 layer of G tape? Should I just get a roll of stans tape?

thx!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Steelgtr,

I've never used gorilla tape to seal a rim. Actually have used it to patch tire cuts though. Anyway, it should work. Many people have use it with success.

The stick of gorilla tape is tenacious, but you still want to wipe the surface you are going to adhere to with a non-residual cleaner (denatured alcohol, 90% alcohol) to get ride any thing that may affect the bond. This is with what ever tape you decide to use. Make sure your strip is wide enough. The other thing that you should look for is whether the tape has been cut by any of the spoke holes. Probably should file or sand those to remove the sharp edge. Also look at how the valve is seating in the tape. What kind of valve are you using? One cut from a tube or a purposed one from Stans/other kit?

I'm not familiar with the rim that you are using (DT?) and so I don't know if there are any other spots that could be letting air past, maybe someone with the same rims can chime in. Check over the entire rim.

Either way, I'd remove the gorilla tape, prep the rim (sand, file, clean), and then make sure that the tape is fully covering the holes next time you put it on. Make sure the tape is cut straight, not wavy or sloppy. And really PRESS the tape with your fingers/thumb along its entire perimeter. You may have had a small void/wrinkle in the tape before and once it had sealant getting under it, it will not stick...but I'm taking shots in the dark here, hard to say without seeing your situation.

**Also, pulling super tight with the gorilla tape is probably not as necessary as it is with the Stans tape. It is more necessary to rub both edges down along the entire perimeter as I said above.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I removed the gorilla tape and tried high quality USA black electrical tape and it sealed. Not sure if it's a good long term solution? I have some Stans yellow tape on the way. Probably should wait?

bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The problem might be the Gorilla tape. I've read a number of people saying that it has micro holes in it. It might be good to do two passes with it, but then again, at that point, I'd just use Stans or an equivalent.

Not sure about electrical tape, because it is so soft and stretchy, and I've noted that stuff generally 'creeping' on its gooey adhesive in other applications on a regular basis. Not sure about it's tensile strength. I assume it is really low though. You can easily snap electrical tape.

Some people use reinforced packing tape with good luck too.

If you have the Stans tape coming, I would just go ahead and use that. Clean up the rim well, and follow Stans instructions and you should have no problems. Remember you have to put some tension on that stuff while you are putting it on, but that should be covered in the directions.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I say to all ditch those stock renegade tires!!

Although light and uber fast rollers, those things are so thing and have 0 grip on another other then hard pack straights. I'd be hesitant to run em tubeless incase of a sidewall tare, could be dangerous. But then again so could walking down the street.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    I say to all ditch those stock renegade tires!!

Although light and uber fast rollers, those things are so thing and have 0 grip on another other then hard pack straights. I'd be hesitant to run em tubeless incase of a sidewall tare, could be dangerous. But then again so could walking down the street.
    I recently just started running mine with sealant. S-Works. 1.5 scoops. Simple to set up.

renegade 2.3" in the real world

I've had my wifes setup this way for quite some time, and she is without complaints. Our local trails aren't straight and they aren't all hardpack.

Sometimes it's the loosenut behind the bars that needs tightening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast