mtbr member
    Aug 2004

29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?

Ok, I need a new Single Speed wheelset for my 29er. I weigh 180lbs. I have not taco'ed a wheel in years or even put a decent wheel out of true. I ride full rigid with big tyres...

So what wheelset should I get?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Tagging, also interested in what the hive says

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Your budget definitely would help!

I've been riding a combo of Chris King SS/DT comp/Stan's Arch EX for a year now, been great. I'm 185-95 depending on time of the year, ride/race XC on them. If I had to do it again, I think I could get away with Crest for a rim choice as I haven't taco'd/dented a wheel myself since the 90's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The budget is, "I think there is room on the credit card". I guess that makes it flexible.

I was thinking of trying crest rims, too or selling body parts to get industry nines...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If that's the case..I say pic your hubs/spokes and go with Crest..Industry nine makes nice stuff, I would personally not get a full wheelset from them due to the fact they use proprietary spokes, which i'm not too much a fan of. Their classic hubs are great, and you can use standard spokes for a build.

Rub it............
    I'd would suggest a hub with a high engagement. Chris King, Chub Hub with White Industries freewheel, etc.

Mate with your favorite rim.

I personally prefer the cassette style hub vs the freewheel style hub just for ease of changing rear cogs.

mtbr member
    King hubs ... SS rear ... with Arch EX or if money is no object with Enve rims.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I was definitely thinking of cassette hubs. I hate messing around trying to remove freewheels. I was thinking about pre-builts as I moved a while back and never found a good wheel builder after moving.

I know the proprietary spoke thing, too well. I have some Easton wheels that I can break the spokes of by just looking at them. Still I am stuck debating Stans wheels vs Kings with crests vs 29\" Ultralite

I guess there is a big price difference...

Please keep the comments coming.

agu
    mtbr member
    How about a King cassette hub matched to Velocity Blunt 35s?

The cassette hub will give you the option to run gears, and the wider rims should complement your big tire preference nicely.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie View Post
    Ok, I need a new Single Speed wheelset for my 29er. I weigh 180lbs. I have not taco'ed a wheel in years or even put a decent wheel out of true. I ride full rigid with big tyres...

Good hubs (Chris King, DT Swiss 240s, etc) and Light-Bicyle Carbon AM 29er hoops, laced up with DT Swiss double butted spokes, or Aerolite spokes, brass nipples (alloy nipples don't agree with carbon rims very well).

I got a set for my trailbike, and I'm about to get another set for my Singlespeed.

My current singlespeed wheelset, I'm using a Hope Pro2Trials/SS hub, but i might swap it out for something lighter. That thing is as heavy as a Deore hub. I have a DT 340 Hub, but it's thru-axle, and I don't have a need for the added strength or extra weight. I'm pretty much stuck with Lefty front hubs, so I don't have much choice there. There are a few different Lefty hubs, but they are all basically the same quality. Just a shell, two bearing cartridges and no axle, since the axle is part of the Lefty fork.

But yeah, those carbon hoops are amazing. They are crazy stiff, wide, strong and 80g lighter than a regular kinda XC rim. I don't know about you, but I saw my singlespeed back and forth a lot when cranking hard up a hill, and I can really feel the added lateral stiffness. Yes, I robbed my trailbike for the wheelset for a few rides and the Sea Otter race. What a difference! The wider rim also does a better job of supporting bigger tires, and lets you run lower tire pressure.

I've ridden Crests, and DTx470 rims, and they are noodley as heck. Sun Inferno 23s are better, but still not as stiff as the LB AM29er carbon rim. The LB AM29er carbon rim at sub 400g is as light as the Crest, and 80g lighter than the DT x470 and the Sun Inferno 23.

Light Bicycle has an XC grade carbon rim, but it's only 20g lighter, and you give up the nice wide footprint.

Check the 'Cheap Chinese Carbon Rim' thread. Loads of great info, and loads of satisfied riders over there... myself included. IIRC, current price is around $350 a pair shipped to the States.

I'll also second what others have said about SS hubs. I suggest getting a cassette style hub. Freewheel hubs may look lighter, but all threaded freewheels are heavy as heck. No matter what you do, the best you can get is going to be 100g heavier than a light cassette hub and cog.

mtbr member
    I'm using MTX 33's at the moment with 2.5" DHF's. Heavy, but I shouldn't have to worry about them. The Derby Wide rims look really nice but MTX's were like 60 bucks. Tough to argue the extra cost when I don't race and all I want is to not have a problem with the wheel. Plus, earlier this year I bought 3 extra MTX's because it looked like they were getting tough to find I have them sitting next to my stack of never opened Beta cassette tapes...

Pacenti DL31's are worth looking at too.

I've run 240's geared, and Hope SS Trials currently, but will be looking at the Hadley SS for another wheel in a few months. Hope is super loud and seems to have a fair bit of rotation resistance. 240's are just way too much money.

My friend had a good experience with one of the wheel builders on this site (mikesee). Had the wheel at his door within 3-4 days though I suspect that yours would take longer considering the components you're looking at.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Go with a quality hub like King, DT240 or I9. For best engagement go I9. You can get their traditional spoked hub if you want to choose your spoke. King are durable and have been around forever. I9 are proving to be durable as well. DT 240, not as durable and low engagement, but spin very smooth.

I have the I9 on Flows as well as the King on Flows. You shouldn't even consider Crest's at your weight. Go with the Arch at least. I weigh 190 and just prefer the Flow's width.

Good Luck!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Built my first ever wheelset a couple weeks ago and broke them in during a solo 24hr race logging in just over 200 miles. The parts for the wheels cost around $900 if you don't count the $300 in tools I bought to build my own wheels. I chose the light-bicycle wider carbon 29er rims, I9 single speed hubs, alloy nipples and Sapim Cx-Ray spokes. For this being the first time I've ever consider building a wheel and just going off a video I watched I came out great and after 400 miles the wheels are still perfect and true. I will say the carbon wheels are crazy stiff so if your on a unforgiving carbon hardtail like me be prepared for it to suddenly feel all kinds more HARD tail after switching to carbon rims. I probably only saved about $150 doing this myself and if you count the cost of the tools needed I actually spent about $200 more then if I had a shop build them but now I can build more wheels with no extra costs. After this experience it's going to be nearly impossible for me to buy a prebuilt generic wheelset ever again.

Here's a few pics
    29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?-2bc49337-bc35-42d3-a427-308d007828b9-542-0000012ae1d873cc_zpsea138435.jpg
    29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?-1b0b5475-7c62-48e7-b7c9-e498831d445b-542-0000012af13a84a9_zpsc7418c8b.jpg
    29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?-e9ba6bd3-1259-433e-9a45-90892d86ba29-542-0000012af6231314_zps97e3ed75.jpg
    29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?-1eae67fc-65a5-460a-bd99-de3cc61033a7-542-0000012aec85cfa8_zps5758b81b.jpg

mtbr member
    Holy smokes that is a nice set of wheels!

You also bring up a good point. My SS is rigid (all carbon) and I deliberately chose alloy rims for some cush. I run carbon rims on my FS bike and also on my HT race bike. I can feel the difference between both HT's.
    Last edited by DeeZee; 11-05-2013 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    When I first started the race I stopped like 4 times to see if I burped out air because when I'd roll over a rock or braking bump the feedback was so harsh I thought my tire was flat. It still feels the same 400 miles later but I've learned that's normal and I just ignore it.

mtbr member
    I'm new to the SS world but one thing I've noticed, many of my friends hubs are super loud, what's up with that? Kind of takes away from the serene coasting of a SS. Is there a quiet one? My 2007 GF Rig Bontrager hub is on it's last legs and I'll need to replace it soon.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    I've run 240's geared, and Hope SS Trials currently, but will be looking at the Hadley SS for another wheel in a few months. Hope is super loud and seems to have a fair bit of rotation resistance. 240's are just way too much money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Go with a quality hub like King, DT240 or I9. For best engagement go I9. You can get their traditional spoked hub if you want to choose your spoke. King are durable and have been around forever. I9 are proving to be durable as well. DT 240, not as durable and low engagement, but spin very smooth.

I have the I9 on Flows as well as the King on Flows. You shouldn't even consider Crest's at your weight. Go with the Arch at least. I weigh 190 and just prefer the Flow's width.

Good Luck!
    Disclaimer: Not trying to be argumentative, just relaying my experience.

I wouldn't avoid crests. I'm about 180-190 geared up and have had a set of crests built to Chris kings for about 2 years now that haven't required anything. Still as true as the day they were built.

As others have said, 240s, ck and i9 are all good options. I have personal experience with kings and 240s and have no complaints. The king rear has been rebuilt once in two years and the 240 rear was rebuilt once in 5 years.

mtbr member

Re: 29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I'm new to the SS world but one thing I've noticed, many of my friends hubs are super loud, what's up with that? Kind of takes away from the serene coasting of a SS. Is there a quiet one? My 2007 GF Rig Bontrager hub is on it's last legs and I'll need to replace it soon.

TIA
    Try the American Classic ss specific hub with bolts or qr. Nice sound and not loud at all. I think they are also the lightest hubs you can buy.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    The last set I built for a customer was my favorite build. Surly Ultra New 32h silver Wheelsmith DB spokes black(2silver for 'guide spokes at the valve) silver brass nips/WTB TCS I23 and a White Ind. freewheel. Reasonable price-Reasonably light-flawless with tubeless ready tires,rebuild easy parts,super stiff and durable. All stickers removed. The anti-bling. Stiff is better than super light in WV rocks and roots.
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

Carpet Pisser
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrkie View Post

You might try giving this guy a call -- Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels

When I bought my wheels I explained that I'm a clyde and told him how hard I was on bikes (at the time anyway), he asked some questions and then made some recommendations. Ended up squaring me away with a bombproof set of wheels for barely more than what the parts alone cost. Had them at my doorstep in less than a week.

mtbr member

TIA
    I suspect it's a bit like loud exhaust pipes on cars. Loud is cool. With a theoretical 'better' somewhere along the way. With that said, in addition to getting used to the noise (Hope), I've found that I don't coast very much on it anyhow. On a side note, I use it an an improvisational trail bell when coming up on another biker, hiker, cow or blind corner.

My DT 240 is quiet enough. Not as quiet as Shimano; but way more expensive :|
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    On another side note, my LBS tells me, "Just get an XT wheelset." My SS friends say, "Noooo, you NEED an SS specific hub..."

Nice XT 29er wheelset on the local craigslist.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    My DT 240 is quiet enough. Not as quiet as Shimano; but way more expensive :|

mtbr member

29er SS wheelset? What should I buy?

On another side note, my LBS tells me, "Just get an XT wheelset." My SS friends say, "Noooo, you NEED an SS specific hub..."

Nice XT 29er wheelset on the local craigslist.....
    I would be concerned about the durability of an XT hub.

Hope hubs are a great value and the quality is there too.

SPP
    Rigid.