Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013

New question here. 29'er Rigid Fork Weight Restriction?

Ok, so I'm considering taking the carbon plunge with my single speed but I'm being told by my buddies that the carbon won't hold my weight? I want to ad a carbon rigid fork, a set of FSA carbon bars, FSA carbon seat post, and FSA carbon stem. I weight 300 lbs and 6'1" , I have linebacker frame and I worry about breaking the carbon stuff. I'm wanting to remove weight to use the bike more on light trails to help my endurance. Any Thoughts?
    Last edited by gixxergino; 11-05-2013 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxergino View Post
    Ok, so I'm considering taking the carbon plunge with my monocog but I'm being told by my buddies that the carbon won't hold my weight? I want to ad a carbon rigid fork, a set of FSA carbon bars, FSA carbon seat post, and FSA carbon stem. I weight 300 lbs and 6'1" , I have linebacker frame and I worry about breaking the carbon stuff. I'm wanting to remove weight to use the bike more on light trails to help my endurance. Any Thoughts?
    Listen to your buddies..............

ballbuster
    Yeah, I can't imagine that saving a tad of weight on the bike is going to do you much good. I'd say get a good quality steel fork, like a Surly Karate Monkey fork. It would probably hold up fine if you don't get air or plow through rock gardens, but it won't leave you much margin for error or crashes.

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013
    I want to remove the crap SR suntour fork up front either way for rigid since I ride with it locked out anyway. So I guess I will look into steel fork...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The more you weigh, the less it matters how much your bike weighs. After all, you have to propel both yourself and the bike uphill. So if you had a 30lb bike and dropped 5lbs off of it (usually very expensive to do) you would only decrease the total bike plus rider weight by about 1.5 percent. It's just not worth it.

Also, you mention trying to improve your endurance. Making the bike lighter will not help you at all in that regard. Only riding will do that. If you mean that you want to lighten the bike so that you can go on longer rides at the same fitness level, that's not going to work either. You could build a carbon framed bike with all carbon parts on it and you still wouldn't gain much. Leave the bike alone and spend your money on something more useful.

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    The more you weigh, the less it matters how much your bike weighs. After all, you have to propel both yourself and the bike uphill. So if you had a 30lb bike and dropped 5lbs off of it (usually very expensive to do) you would only decrease the total bike plus rider weight by about 1.5 percent. It's just not worth it.

Also, you mention trying to improve your endurance. Making the bike lighter will not help you at all in that regard. Only riding will do that. If you mean that you want to lighten the bike so that you can go on longer rides at the same fitness level, that's not going to work either. You could build a carbon framed bike with all carbon parts on it and you still wouldn't gain much. Leave the bike alone and spend your money on something more useful.
    Ok, let me rephrase this... I AM buying a rigid fork, carbon is the "popular" way to go. Some manufacturers like niner and WB don't put a weight restriction on the fork. Will I break a carbon fork, or just stick with steel or Ti ?

As far as the Post, stem, and bars, they just look cool!

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013
    So... as far as steel goes. Surly is better than niner?

VENI VEDI BIKI
    don't do it. Crabon is dangerous!

Busted Carbon
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post

Busted Carbon
    Do they have a page for all the other materials or do other materials not fail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Carbon is the strongest material you could possibly make a fork out of. The crucial factor is whether it's designed to take your weight and many carbon forks won't be because they're usually built to sacrifice some strength in pursuit of ultra light weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdog View Post
    Carbon is the strongest material you could possibly make a fork out of. The crucial factor is whether it's designed to take your weight and many carbon forks won't be because they're usually built to sacrifice some strength in pursuit of ultra light weight.
    What he said

mtbr member

Busted Carbon
    There hasn't been a post since July 2011. So I guess carbon is strong stuff! ;-)

ballbuster

Busted Carbon
    Aw, don't buy into the carbon fear.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    There hasn't been a post since July 2011. So I guess carbon is strong stuff! ;-)
    Also, you notice most of those breaks are from being hit by cars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Aw, don't buy into the carbon fear.

Also, you notice most of those breaks are from being hit by cars?
    Yea.....funny stuff

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ok, I'm confused. Yes or NO for a guy my size on a carbon fork??? I don't need a battle of personal preference on what suits you guys. I need to know which way to go????

ballbuster
    Ok, I'm confused. Yes or NO for a guy my size on a carbon fork??? I don't need a battle of personal preference on what suits you guys. I need to know which way to go. Does someone make a aluminum rigid fork or just Ti, steel and carbon????
    I'm going to vote 'no'. Most carbon forks aren't going for beef, they are going for lightweight. I vote for steel. I don't know how light Niner makes their forks, but the Surly fork will be a brickshizhouse. Downside is, it's also a bit heavy for a rigid fork. That said, it will still be a full pound, if not two, lighter than your Suntour fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    This thread is making my head hurt a little.

As someone else pointed out, carbon has the best strength-to-weight ratio going for structural materials for bikes.

OP, I think if you're worried, you should contact the manufacturer of the particular fork you want. I bet there will be a couple carbon forks with 180 lb weight limits and most manufacturers will say you're fine.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    This thread is making my head hurt a little.
    Uh, yeah. That's why I'm like ????

I think I'm going to go with this:

Exotic Rigid Alu MTB Bike Fork 29er Disc Specific 46 5 | eBay

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    i second the vote for the surly fork (KM/Ogre). i like the ogre fork better (more bottle mounts)

you mentioned that your bike is a monocog? the monocog rigid fork looks beefy as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29'er Rigid Fork Weight Restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by IstongKowldPaRin View Post
    i second the vote for the surly fork (KM/Ogre). i like the ogre fork better (more bottle mounts)

you mentioned that your bike is a monocog? the monocog rigid fork looks beefy as well.
    I would contact someone who builds forks. I would bet good money that a Walt works or a type 2 is going to ride better than any carbon fork at your weight. I know my type 2 rides better than any fork I have ever ridden, aluminum, carbon or titanium and I am only 175lbs so I didn't need custom by any means.

"Clydesdale"
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    I would contact someone who builds forks. I would bet good money that a Walt works or a type 2 is going to ride better than any carbon fork at your weight. I know my type 2 rides better than any fork I have ever ridden, aluminum, carbon or titanium and I am only 175lbs so I didn't need custom by any means.
    6-8 weeks to build once you've made it through his 40+ people in line...

At that pace, I should get it in 2016...LOL

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are some good carbon bars to choose from, Answer Protaper, Envy, etc. My protaper is 780mm wide and 250g. It's a "downhill" bar, so it's not super light, it is super-strong though with thick carbon layup at the ends.

As for a strong rigid fork, my On-One fatty fork is 2.8lbs of steel, seems pretty strong, done a lot of jumping on it, etc. This fork could work just fine in a 29er, as long as you get the 135mm front hub for it.

SRAM makes carbon XX1 downhill cranks, again, probably perfect for you.

Being that heavy does limit you in terms of choices. It's not a red line in terms of component materials that you can't cross, but it does mean you have to think about what they were designed for.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nothing wrong with that apart from I can't see a max rider weight listed (there may not be one) and at your size you really need to check regardless of material, alot of manufacturers won't warranty forks for riders bigger than 220lbs.

mtbr member
    I would stick to steel.
    Salsa, Surly, On-One.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Carpet Pisser
    Oct 2009
    Ok, I'm confused. Yes or NO for a guy my size on a carbon fork??? I don't need a battle of personal preference on what suits you guys. I need to know which way to go????

At that weight I think a lot of it depends on (1). how you ride, and (2). stick with a reputable company. But then again I've seen too many steel break also, both frames and forks.

I've been riding nothing but carbon forks for the last four years and at my heaviest I was 270 (6'2"), not including gear. I rode a White Bros. for the longest, and just recently started riding a Trigon which btw feels pretty friggin solid. Now, with that said, I don't do downhill thunder runs, rockgardens, or huck myself off cliffs. Anymore, at my age, I'm perfectly content with mild xc, singletrack, and in addition I try to do 200-kilometers a week on road/paved trails/commuting just for the exercise benefit.

I think bottom line is anything upwards of 240 or more and you should probably avoid trying mimic that 140-pound youngster that's blasting down the side of a mountain...carbon, steel, ti, whatever...something's bound to break.

Carbon seatposts, stems, and bars on the other hand, I'm just not as confident in 'em. They simply not as beefy as any of the forks I've seen. I wouldn't trust them for a clyde, imo.

My dos centavos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast