mtbr member
    May 2012

29er more Nimble?

I have a 2012 Rockhopper 29er and after riding some decent technical trails with it , I love how it climbs and rolls over everything, but i noticed its not as nimble as a 26, which I underdstand that, but what I am looking to do is make it a little more nimble and i was told a stem would help that but not sure what length and degree to get any help would be awesome,..........

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hmmm 61 views and nothing , ouch !!!

Merendon Junkie
    Howdy Texan aggie. What Texas A&M class are you?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    didnt graduate from there sir , thanks for asking , I am a Huge fan of the Aggies and Houston Texans......

ready to ride
    How long is your stem now? A shorter one typically "speeds" up tour steering. That may give you that more "nimble" feel. The fact is though you have a larger wheelbase and a wider turning radius.
    Might try a 80mm stem. Though for me fit and position would be more important than quick turning. I have a 110mm stem on my bike and I find it plenty responsive. Some of that could just be the bikes design. I am assuming this is a new bike? I also think some of it is just getting used to your new bike.

Stems are relatively cheap so you can try out some different sizes without costing you too much. might ask the store where you bought it if they have some that you can try out.

Wider bars might also give you that feel, however if you ride in tight areas with lots of tress that may be counter productive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    60-80mm and a reasonable width bar will help with steering leverage. imo stems are for handling balance, top tube and saddle position for seated position balance and reach is pretty much something you end up with - as long as the weight is balanced between bar and saddle you're ok.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanaggie View Post
    I have a 2012 Rockhopper 29er and after riding some decent technical trails with it , I love how it climbs and rolls over everything, but i noticed its not as nimble as a 26, which I underdstand that, but what I am looking to do is make it a little more nimble and i was told a stem would help that but not sure what length and degree to get any help would be awesome,..........
    Without changing the frame or fork, lighter wheels/tires can help. Mostly, it just takes a bit of adjustment time to learn how the bike wants to be ridden.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common