mtbr member
    Sep 2007

29er Light Weight Gravel/Dirt Road/Pavement Tire

I'm looking for suggestions for a light weight, fast rolling 29er tire for use on gravel, dirt roads and pavement. These tires will see very little actual trail use. I'm thinking something in the 1.75 to 2 inch range. I need some tread, but not a lot. Under 500g would be nice.

Small Block 8 seems like a likely candidate, but it's a bit heavier than I would like. The Kenda Kozmik Lite II is a bit lighter. Vee Rubber has the Vee 8, 10, 12, and 16 that all might work. Stan's Crow might fit the bill, but the knobs are a bit more spaced out, which might buzz on the road and hard dirt a bit. Schwalbe has the Furious Fred, which is crazy light, but expensive. Maybe I've already answered my own question.

Any others I should consider?

rr
    I don't do PC
    I use Schwalbe Smart Sams on my cross bike, gravel, dirt roads and trails, limited pavement but they roll fine. I have the 40c but they are also available in 45c, my 40's weigh 530g if I remember, the 45's are prob closer to 600g. They are affordable, at least by Schwalbe standards

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Might be a little overkill but have use Geax Saguaros for that type of riding before I had a corss bike, they are fast and wear great. Another option is to look at some wide cross tires or something like below:

Gravel Grinder News: Vee Rubber X-C-X Tires: Introduction & Short Term Review
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Cheesiest
    Nanoraptors are pretty popular for these uses.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That's easy.
    Specialized Renegades

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I also vote for the Renegades. Mount up super easy tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another vote for Renegades, I do off road Tris where the first and last mile of the bike leg can be pavement so i needed a light fast tire for both pavement and trail. I have the S-Works Fast track on the front for a little extra grip on the turns and the S-Works Renegades backwards on the rear, both set up tubeless with Stans relatively easy. Very light, you will slide some with the renegades but you cant wrong if you want low roll resistance and light.

mtbr member
    I'd go with Renegades too, great tire for that certain terrain
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

Formerly of Kent
    Bontrager 29-0.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like the Specialized Renegade is the consensus winner. The Bontrager 29-0 is one I had noticed in my research also. I also came across the Maxxis IKON. I'll go with one of those three. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you are not going to be riding on trails, I would go with a wide road/touring tire. I have a bike set up for Gravel/Dirt/Pavement mix and have tried Nano's and Racing Ralphs. In the end I preferred the 42mm Continental Contacts, a touring tire. Overall they just felt faster and smoother especially on the pavement. They are what came standard on the Vaya for a while (maybe still do?).

I guess if you are doing fire roads with rougher surfaces, I'd consider one of the mtb tire you mention, but if the gravel and dirt roads are for typical car traffic, I'd go with a touring tire.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am using Kenda Happy Medium on my gravel bike, but I also used on my 29er HT for a while. This is a commuter bike. My ride into work is 10 miles road and 4 miles dirt (fire road and single track). The tire works well on all surfaces, especially the road. If you are doing a fair amount of road, I would check these out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Schwalbe Furious Freds are definitely a good option for that kind of riding, light as too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm riding 700 x 35c Smart Sams and they are the best all round tyres I've ever used. Schwalbe list a folding 29 x 1.75" tyre that weighs 435g, they seem to fit your requirements perfectly...

SMART SAM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been thinking I would go with a tire around 2" for comfort and because there can be a fair amount of loose gravel on the roads around here - the larger tires float, whereas narrower tires dive in and get squirrelly.

I'd be curious to see if the 1.75" Smart Sam would fit my Salsa Vaya, though.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Another vote for the Specialized Renegade 1.95 x 29. An excellent fast-rolling tire. Unless you are racing, get the Control version; it has a stiffer sidewall and is more durable. I like knobbier tires for the loose stuff and chunk but my kid runs a Renegade in the back and Fast Track (29 x 2.0) all the time for racing.