Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29er latex tube

mnoutain bkie rdier

29er latex tube

Running tubeless, but want one for backup during races. Any out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bit hard to fit, but 26" should work fine.

Master of Disaster
    Forté MTB LunarLight Presta Tube 26 x 1.95-2.25" (99g)
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1034712_-1___

I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz
    Bit hard to fit, but 26" should work fine.
    Not with latex tubes. They do not like to be over stretched.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Running tubeless, but want one for backup during races. Any out there?
    Latex tubes need to be pretty close to the tire size. Means they tend to be bulkier than a butyl tube. I would use the tube Clones suggested.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not with latex tubes. They do not like to be over stretched.
    Have you tried to inflate one out of the tire until it bursts? Do it, it's fun and you will probably retract your statement.

I have used 26" Michelin latex tubes in 29" tires for years. Works fine. It's not stretch you should worry about, but moisture (like sealant residue) or UV rays.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK
    Have you tried to inflate one out of the tire until it bursts? Do it, it's fun and you will probably retract your statement.

I have used 26" Michelin latex tubes in 29" tires for years. Works fine. It's not stretch you should worry about, but moisture (like sealant residue) or UV rays.
    I have had many latex tubes burst inside my tires in ways butyl have never done.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For a spare in a race i'd (do) use something that is super thick. That way if there is a side wall cut or other sharp stuff in the tire it will be less likely to flat again. The extra weight of a beefy spare tube won't matter at all.

I'd rather finish last then DNF because of some super thin tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortechcoupe
    For a spare in a race i'd (do) use something that is super thick. That way if there is a side wall cut or other sharp stuff in the tire it will be less likely to flat again. The extra weight of a beefy spare tube won't matter at all.

I'd rather finish last then DNF because of some super thin tube.
    1. A cut casing needs a boot, no matter what kind of tube you use.

2. You need to remove the foreign objects before putting the new tube in.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have had many latex tubes burst inside my tires in ways butyl have never done.
    Well, we might have had different experiences due to different causes. What do you think caused the bursts? What makes you so sure stretch played a big part in this?

And ehm... are we talking 1998 or 2008 here? I have seen some results of catastrophic latex tube failure after long descents on rim brake rims. Cause #2 would be mounting faillure (part of the tube trapped under the tire bead), but I would not dare to accuse a respected tire guru like yourself of that . Then there were the few weightweenies that tried road or CX latex tubes in 26" tires. I would strongly advise against that, but not the minimal stretch from 26" to 29".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As long as latex tubes stretch evenly they are fine. You must have good solid bead tape over spoke holes. I plan to try them on a 29er but I can see them being more difficult than a 26 butyl tube to fit as they squirm so much.

As a spare tube for a race I would use a race light 29er butyl tube. That last thing I would want is to be pi++ing around trying to stuff a 26" tube[ butyl or latex] into a 29er tire during a race. I can see frustration and tears. All to save about 50g.

mtbr member
    About ten years ago I went through a phase using latex tubes. The only cool thing about them is how they pop really loud like a .22, you're not sure if you're being shot at or just flatted LOL. There's no such thing as a "pffffffffft" slow flat. They're unpatchable, a total waste of money unless you routinely throw away tubes after a flat. Never again...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    1. A cut casing needs a boot, no matter what kind of tube you use.

2. You need to remove the foreign objects before putting the new tube in.
    1 A thicker tube is still less likely to pop out of a cut then a thinner tube.

2 Again, a thicker tube will be less likely to get cut by a small shard etc... then a super thin tube.

You just like to argue don't you......

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Never really had a problem with them. I find them cheaper than replacing sealant lots.
    They are sensitive to UV and oil.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A bunch of roadies I train with use latex tubes. Typically lighter and improves ride. Why such an oddity for 29er mtb?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They come from Europe , where a 29er is an oddity.

mtbr member
    I use latex on my psuedo-fat tire 26er. No way I'd run the same size on my 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got my new SJ HT Expert 29er. My LBS recommend michelin c4 latex due to better resistans against snakebites and sharp objects. The question is, are latex tubes really better than butyl tubes against sharp objects?

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    About ten years ago I went through a phase using latex tubes. The only cool thing about them is how they pop really loud like a .22, you're not sure if you're being shot at or just flatted LOL. There's no such thing as a "pffffffffft" slow flat. They're unpatchable, a total waste of money unless you routinely throw away tubes after a flat. Never again...
    Ha! It's not just latex that does that. JUST last night I was pumping up one of my wheels with this tube, at around 40 psi, BAM! tube exploded dismounting the tire from the wheel entirely.

It litterally sounded like a gun went off right next to my ear. My right ear was muted for the rest of the night - still didn't feel right the next morning... man that sucked.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
    Just got my new SJ HT Expert 29er. My LBS recommend michelin c4 latex due to better resistans against snakebites and sharp objects. The question is, are latex tubes really better than butyl tubes against sharp objects?
    Yes they are definitely, + they roll better ....

... but with downsides :

You will have to inflate before every ride,
    they can not be patched,
    a little tricky to install 26'' tubes in a 29'' application .. but doable ...

I use to use them for ~two years and I'm not dissapointed .. but still I'm not sure if about the benefit related to the final cost ..

You can apply some talcuum powder inside the rims and around the tube, for longevity.
    Always carry one or two spare tubes with you.Latex tubes are better than the simple tubes but they are not tubeless ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I ran the Panaracer greenlite latex tubes in my Breezer (yes, 10 years + ago...). They were awesome! Lite, and for me, easy to repair with a park peel and stick patch. I pulled the Breezer out of storage a few years ago and to my suprise the greenlites were still in it! I didn't try to air them up though.
    Also, a dollar bill makes an excellent make shift tire boot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ok, is latex better than butyl against sharp objects or is it a myth?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I also use the C4 michelin latex tire in my 29er wheels, never had a problem.
    But i think i'm going to run latex only with a innertube as spare...

All That is Man
    Seems to me that if you had a flat running tubeless, the course will almost certainly destroy a lightweight tube unless that flat was some kind of fluke. I carry around a True Goo tube. It's heavy, but it's better than removing redundancy by replacing a flatted tubeless with a race tube.
    John

Sweep the leg!
    Complete Fail for the OP. Why would you care what a spare tube is made from when you're running tubeless to begin with? The tube will allow you to get back to the car or finish the event, but you'll be removing it once you get home. Don't be worried about the few grams a butyl tube has over a latex tube, you're carrying more unwanted grams of body fat and you can't blame the tube for that.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast