mtbr member
    Apr 2013

29er forks, help!

I recently bought a 2013 cannondale trail 6. Im a poor college student and I needed a new bike in the worst way, so I had to go a little cheap, I know. But the forks that come standard on this bike just arent cutting it. I like a more firm ride in the front end. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on a cheaper set of forks i could buy to help with this problem? Rockshox XC 32 100mm, maybe?

mtbr member
    I think SunTour also has some new low cost forks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Random Bike Parts has a RockShox Recon Gold solo air at 3.5lbs. for 240.
    Nick at Suntour has a %lb. Raidon air fork upgrade for 175. Read the Suntour upgrade thread in Beginners for reviews. He also has a 3lb. Epicon for 250 but you need a 15mm front hub wheel for the model he has. An additional valuable weight lose but another 200.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Surly KM fork should be pretty firm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What shocks came on it? Sometimes if they are coil you can swap the springs out, I had to do that on my recons as being 200 plus lbs on any given day the std spring was way to weak. Put in the biggest one they made and the shocks are great now, no more bottoming out over 2" roots.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Short-Change-Hero
    Need a budget before we can recommend. What type of terrain you ride, your riding style, etc.
    On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater)
    Kona Jake
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    What shocks came on it? Sometimes if they are coil you can swap the springs out, I had to do that on my recons as being 200 plus lbs on any given day the std spring was way to weak. Put in the biggest one they made and the shocks are great now, no more bottoming out over 2" roots.
    A set of suntour coil shocks came on it. The thing is, Ive always raced motocross, so im used to a really firm set up. Im looking for something like that.

mtbr member

29er forks, help!

I've read great reviews on xfusion slide,does not break the bank either. I have an xc32 and am looking to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Lupob6 View Post
    I've read great reviews on xfusion slide,does not break the bank either. I have an xc32 and am looking to upgrade
    Yeah, for the price and features you can't beat the Slide - you get a remote lockout and an air fork for under $300. 2012's are super cheap on ebay right now... 2013's are available in June.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I wouldn't even waste your time looking at the xc32 or anything in that category. Your basically putting on another fork of similar quality... not an upgrade. Anything that is air adjustable would be a good option for you. If you have the cash, check out either the Manitou tower pro or rockshox reba. If that is out of your price range the xfusion offerings are worth looking at. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Manitou Tower Pro is what I just put on my HT, you can get the xxfirm spring kit plus add more air and set them up very firm. One of the most self tuneable forks out there, thats why I bought them. I think the tuning kit is like 50 bucks or something, comes with a ton of stuff.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: 29er forks, help!

If you're on a budget, snag the Recon Gold or the upgrade through suntour for $175. Definitely get an air fork.