mtbr member
    Nov 2004

29er fork recommendaations for Steel 29er - Opinions?

Im looking to replace the steel fork on my Walt Works 29er. Doesnít need to be new, so ebay is an option.

Itís pretty overwhelming trying to figure out the different options for the forks. I have a Rock Shox on my Specialized Carbon Expert so would like to stay RS.

Only other requirements are, rebound/compression adjustment, 100mm travel, standard QR, 1-1/8 steerer. Remote lockout would be nice. Pretty basic stuff, doesnít need to be super lightweight.

Any recommendations on a OEM takeoff or new fork?

Thanks,

Nick

Did I catch a niner?
    I assume the RS on your Spec is tapered? If not maybe throw it on the Walt and see what you think, if you like it get another just like it. Or if you know the fork well it might just be best to get the Spec RS fork in 100mm version (I think Spec's is 90mm?).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I assume the RS on your Spec is tapered? If not maybe throw it on the Walt and see what you think, if you like it get another just like it. Or if you know the fork well it might just be best to get the Spec RS fork in 100mm version (I think Spec's is 90mm?).
    Yeah, RS fork is 1.5", no go.

Just looking for an affordable, reliable, ADJUSTABLE fork.

mtbr member
    I picked up an X-Fusion Slide RL2 and it is pretty nice fork (the RL2R has remote lockout), if your not dead set on RS. You can get a new one on the cheap compared to new RS and they perform really well. That being said did take it off my singlespeed to set it up rigid again but plan on putting it on whatever my next build is.

http://www.xfusionshox.com/product/f...lide-rl2r.html

its worth checking out at least for a comparison.

Happy fork hunting!
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc
    Rocky Mountain Altitude Rally
    Surly Puglsey
    Masi Gran Corsa

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with a Reba if you want to stick with RockShox, Price Point has a 2012 Reba RL on sale for $399.

I had a Reba a few years ago and it was a great fork, even better after I sent it to Push for tuning.

I currently have a Manitou Tower Pro 29er which I love, it is more plush than the Reba since it uses a coil spring but still fairly light weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Reba if you want to stick with RockShox, Price Point has a 2012 Reba RL on sale for $399.
    I've seen bunch of websites selling '11 and '12 Reba for $400-$500. I'm really committed to riding rigid, but I've been really tempted for Reba due to its current low prices.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member

I had a Reba a few years ago and it was a great fork, even better after I sent it to Push for tuning.

I currently have a Manitou Tower Pro 29er which I love, it is more plush than the Reba since it uses a coil spring but still fairly light weight.
    +1 for the Manitou Tower Pro. I put in on my Jamis Dragon. It's great. The plush feel fits live a glove on a steel frame.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I have two Tower Pro forks so I would obviously add a vote for them. They are sensibly priced, reliable and work well.

You may be creating a misconception by stating, "it uses a coil spring". It is an air sprung fork. It has a 3Ĺ" coil spring in series with the air spring which is essentially a tuning option. The spring can be cheaply swapped to compensate for rider weight, instead of merely increasing air pressure. Most air forks tend to ramp up resistance towards the end of the stroke due to high pressure. This results in not getting full travel.

The Manitou Tower Expert is essentially a coil sprung fork.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yep, a Reba or Tower Pro. There have been amazing sales on both lately, too bad you've missed them. Cheaper than used.
    I'd just keep watching the sales and the Best Deals forum for a bit and buy whichever comes up cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    You may be creating a misconception by stating, "it uses a coil spring". It is an air sprung fork.
    Very true, thanks for the clarification Ronnie. That being said the coil spring does have a lot to do with the plush feeling of the fork especially in the initial and mid stages of the travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the recommendations.

What is a going rate for 'sale' Manitou Tower? I've seen them as low as $449 for a Tower Pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wanna sell your Walt Works fork?
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Grump - check your PM's.

Short-Change-Hero
    Another recommendation for the Tower Pro. Can't say enough good things about this fork and have ridden a few different brands. Add to that the stellar customer service from Manitou and you have a winning combination. Definitely takes some time to setup the fork (but which one doesnt?) but once you do it is pretty much a set and forget.

OH and this is coming from a fellow steel beast rider. I could not have picked a better compliment fork for my Steel Inbred 29er.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: 29er fork recommendaations for Steel 29er - Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations.

What is a going rate for 'sale' Manitou Tower? I've seen them as low as $449 for a Tower Pro.
    They sre way cheaper than that. 375 at price point last i checked

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    My Reba was 349.98 from Bluesky in August and my Manitou tower pro was 313.48 from CRC in Oct.

Short-Change-Hero
    I picked up my 2011 in Dec of 2011 for $386 to my door.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.