mtbr member
    Jun 2011

29er carbon handlebar

Something like that, got my new Answer 720 today but it didn't come with any torque specs for stem, brake levers or lock on grips.

I can't get the installation pdf to come up on my computer no matter what I try, so's hoping you'all can help with some numbers. It's a Specialized stem. Should I just tighten the brake levers enough to hold them in place, but so they'll give in a wreck? How about grips?

Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just go off feel...seems overkill to pull out a torque wrench for the bars. Heck, unless your using a high end wrench from snap on or similar...you may be over tightening it without knowing. Those cheaper ones are not very accurate. I always make them snug enough that I can't rotate them by hand. You'll quickly get a feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Also, make sure you file down any rough edges. Your more likely to damage the bar if the stems end cap has a large burr on it...then by tightening your controls till snug. Same goes for the clamping point on the brakes, shift pods, grips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like the integrated stem bar IP-B03, it is great

mtbr member
    5 to 7nm is the standard torque spec on carbon components.

mtbr member
    You use the torque spec. of the stem and brake/shifter manufacturer. You will not find the torque specified on the installation instructions.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.