Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29'er all-round UST tires. Need advice

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Lenny7 
#1 ·
Hi there!
I'm looking for set of great truly UST all-round tires. Past year I've bought two NoTubes Ravens 29x2.2. But I've found them useless on rocky slopes and wet&loose ground.
Need your advice to get pair of grippy tires with low rolling resistance (not Schwalbe!).

#5 ·
What "meltingfeather" said. Personally I prefer tubeless ready (TLR, 2Bliss etc.) to UST.

Schwalbe make some pretty good tires but if you don't like them, I've been very happy with Specialized Purgatory Control and Ground Control. They have tough sidewalls and lots of grip. I'm also keen on trying Continental Mountain King tires with Protection sidewalls.

Reactions: osokolo
#4 ·
What's the reason for needing a true ust tire? I've successfully mounted many non ust/tubeless ready tires with sealant. They usually weigh less and are more affordable. If you found something with a thicker sidewall, I think it will suit your needs. If I remember correctly, a "ust" tire means that you can run it without sealant...not something I'd ever want to risk. You probably were just referring to any tire that can be mounted tubeless, correct?

Right now I'm hooked on schwalbe, but maxxis also makes some great tires. Maybe something like a crossmark/ignitor in the rear and a ignitor/ardent up front? I've had good luck with those combinations in a variety of conditions. I'm not a fan of Kenda, and won't even go there. Geax makes some nice looking tread profiles, same with continental. I will probably try those next.

I'm sure you probably don't want to hear it...but tires are something that you need to try for yourself. A lot of options and it all depends on your location. Or the next best option is to find some riders in your area for recommendations. I've had good luck using local riders suggestions. At least you'll know they ride in similar conditions. Good luck!

#6 ·
Lots of good tires mentioned, but at the moment I'm pretty stoked on Ground Control 2Bliss. Good all around compromise of weight, grip, rolling res, high volume, beefy enough for most situations, and no-brainer tubeless setup.
Good advice to ask some local shredders for their prefs

#7 ·
I wouldn't call the Raven 2.2's "all-around" tires, let alone UST.

The only true UST that I have tried in 29"er size are the Maxxis versions (they make 2 models):

Maxxis Ardent LUST 2.25
Maxxis Crossmark LUST 2.1

Crossmark UST

I run them without sealant and depending on what you deem "all-around", I like the Ardent on the front and the Crossmark on the rear (that's my preference and pictured below).

Muddy RIP

I guess Ardent front and rear would be a little more all-around and aggressive depending on your bike and your needs. There is a weight penalty for the durability and all that extra rubber so one can get away without sealant (you'll still have to "sealant up" your valve to seal the valve/interior rim contact point).

Certainly work well in wet and loose ground (if the picture qualifies as wet and loose)...

Mt. Kato

As everyone else has mentioned, the category known as tubeless ready is the most common and dominant type of tire used and they all require the use of sealant to seal the tire and provide the puncture protection. Not as thick of a casing and sidewall as the UST tires, but many more options in all-arounder. Too bad you don't like Schwalbe as the Nobby Nic 2.25's and 2.35's are nice all-arounders and come in the SnakeSkin protection for extra durability. They work great tubeless as well.

#8 ·
Why Schwalbe is not my choice: there's a lot of flaws in these latter days, such as holes and cracks in the sidewall, curves tires, short lifetime. I do not want to play in a lottery.
So, I'd prefer Geax, but... I only can have them for 70 and more bucks per piece. It's expensive. Same problem with GroundControl, Purgatory etc.
True UST, as I know, has thicker sidewalls and low chance to blow off air. I think it's usefull on low pressures, which I prefer.
I'd run Conti Race King 29er if they were TLR, but as I know they aren't.
Maybe Maxxises really will be the best choice. I'll think about it. Thx, guys.

#9 ·
I paid $55 for Ground Control 2Bliss from my LBS, who is known for charging full price... they claim to have the best, no questions asked warranty as well, but I haven't had cause to use it.

Conti is supposed to be bringing tubeless-ready to most of their MTB tires....you might want to check that again.

#10 ·
Not UST - Been running Purgatory Sworks 2.2/Captain Control 2.1 over some brutal rocky trails for a year with not issues. New bike came with 2.3 Ground Controls (F/R) and unless the trail conditions are exceptionally now they seem to perform better (maybe it's the width). Tire preference is so subjective ;)

#12 ·
I've read quite a few negative comments about Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, but an equal amount of completely opposite - positive - ones about Nobby Nics. So I wouldn't rule out the manufacturer as a whole, rather some tires.

I've had 2.35 Nobby Nics on my 29er for two years and couldn't hope for anything better for all-round use. They roll and grip really well, sealed on the first try and never gave me any trouble. Reasonable weight as well. Mine are the SnakeSkin Evo versions from 2011.

#20 ·
Lol, I just did a search and couldn't find any Geax tire below 70 bucks with shipping. Just compare this price with any popular Conti: I can buy two new Conti's per price of one Geax. And the lifetime of tires is about the same.
P.S.: I'm not from the USA :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.