Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    www.derbyrims.com

Smile 29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

Hi Friends,

Thank you all for providing so much technical trail bike knowledge. I've learned so much and met so many great people over my 15 years participating in the MTBR forums.

Now it's my turn to give back and serve the trail bike community, with what I know many including me have long been asking for.

I'm introducing here the first WIDE carbon-fiber rims for mountain bikes, 29 x35mm and 650b x 40mm.

See Home for details, and a limited sale price for the first 10 rim sets.

I want you to ride them first.

I could go on and on what a game changer these rims make in optimizing 2.1 and larger tire performance for stability, grip, and handling, with DH/FR durability and XC weight.

BTW, I've posted an MTBR classified ad. And updated my signature as per the forum policies.
    www.derbyrims.com STRONGER, STIFFER, LIGHTER

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Hi Friends,

Thank you all for providing so much technical trail bike knowledge. I've learned so much and met so many great people over my 15 years participating in the MTBR forums.

Now it's my turn to give back and serve the trail bike community, with what I know many including me have long been asking for.

I'm introducing here the first WIDE carbon-fiber rims for mountain bikes, 29 x35mm and 650b x 40mm.

See Home for details, and a limited sale price for the first 10 rim sets.

I want you to ride them first.

I could go on and on what a game changer these rims make in optimizing 2.1 and larger tire performance for stability, grip, and handling, with DH/FR durability and XC weight.

BTW, I've posted an MTBR classified ad. And updated my signature as per the forum policies.
    on the 29er rim, how wide is the ID? where are they manufactured? Who designed them? is there a phone number we can call you to dicsuss?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice to see you doing your own thing. Rims look great!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Awesome - is L-B your OEM?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like 29 is 35mm outer and 29mm inner.Pulling the trigger on these right now!

mtbr member
    Arch EX weight, Blunt 35 ID.....intriguing....

mtbr member
    May 2006

29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

Bummer. Only available in the US

AZ
    banned
    Noice!.. Can you possibly post some pics of common tires mounted on these? Spoke holes, molded or drilled?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Really interested. How are these mounted to 100mm hubs? I ask because I've been changing bike configs a lot, and I'm starting to wish for something I'm not sure exists, which would be 135mm wide front suspension. I don't need much suspension. I have a Jones with a fat front that I like a lot, but sometimes I need just a little more than pneumatic suspension, but I like the precision of the wider stringer front wheel...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Really interested. How are these mounted to 100mm hubs? I ask because I've been changing bike configs a lot, and I'm starting to wish for something I'm not sure exists, which would be 135mm wide front suspension. I don't need much suspension. I have a Jones with a fat front that I like a lot, but sometimes I need just a little more than pneumatic suspension, but I like the precision of the wider stringer front wheel...

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!

mtbr member
    These rims look like a sweet option. Now if I can only find a way to taco one of my crests without hurting myself, so I need a "replacement".

Cassoulet forever !
    Would have like to order a set but i'm in Europe...

Are you coming to eurobike ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Awesome product idea. Insufficient warranty. For example, Specialized (big, bad, I know) offers lifetime to the original owner, and crash replacement prices when you need them. No need to purchase ahead of time.

Sticking with the Rovals for now, but REALLY attracted to the size of these!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i like the 27.5 light bikes on my trc. really unhappy with the crests on my tallboy? but $279 is a little steep for me. i guess i'll settle for another set of lb rims.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i like the 27.5 light bikes on my trc. really unhappy with the crests on my tallboy? but $279 is a little steep for me. i guess i'll settle for another set of lb rims.
    How long you been running your LB Rim's ? TIA I'm either going LB or Roval waiting on price for Roval Hoops
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    It costs you $200 for each LB rim , landed in the USA. You are telling me you would not pay an extra $100 for an additional year warranty and a crash replacement program that would cost you 50 percent and you could be back on the trail in one week?.. Ha ha....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Awesome - is L-B your OEM?
    LB is not a manufacturer....have you not figured it out yet?..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    It costs you $200 for each LB rim , landed in the USA. You are telling me you would not pay an extra $100 for an additional year warranty and a crash replacement program that would cost you 50 percent and you could be back on the trail in one week?.. Ha ha....
    Where you getting the "$200" from? Its $50 to ship two LB rims. These Derby rims are $379 also.

Two LB rims shipped= $350
    Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408

MTB B'dos
    Very cool you've decided to follow your passion and provide a neat product, but come on man, who's ridden these and tested them and such data you can provide, because these aren't super cheap??

Small suggestion for your web site..change the colour of the font so it is darker and easier to read for us older folkes. Also, seriously, you don't need WIDE in orange everywhere on the page, makes it seem like some BS scam page that try's pushing crap with buzz words.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i built the wheelset last spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Where you getting the "$200" from? Its $50 to ship two LB rims. These Derby rims are $379 also.

Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408
    LB - $165 x 2 = $330
    Shipping $ 50
    Paypal $19
    TOTAL $399.....$400

DERBY is running a Special at $279 x 2 = $558 + Shipping..call it less than $600.

What is the difference ??

Oh, BTW. 3mm lip vs. 2mm lip means that the part that needs to be the strongest is going to be less prone to fail.

Have you calculated how much it will cost you to replace your LB rims ??

AZ
    banned
    Enough of the hijack of derby's thread. If you want to debate the LB rims go do it in the LB thread. TIA.

www.derbyrims.com
    Wow. I feel so good hearing so many positive vibrations!

Other than my day job, and a short 2 hour ride before dark last night, since announcing the Grand Opening till now I've been non-stop replying to emails from derbyrims.com and filling orders.

The first day was great!

Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    on the 29er rim, how wide is the ID? where are they manufactured? Who designed them? is there a phone number we can call you to dicsuss?
    3mm thick "hookless" rim walls, which is 0.5mm more than the thickest hooked rim walls, adding minimal weight but much durability from rock hits when flatting, and a wide surface to prevent most tire or tube snake-bit pinch flats. Although, I managed to pinch flat my tire landing a drop on a sharp rock with very low tubeless air pressure, making minimal damage to the rim with no rim repair needed. See the web site for a picture of this damage.

The factory is confidential, but it's not in the US, I could not afford this risk otherwise. ENVE rims are the only make in the US, and this is the main reason each rim's MSRP is $900, and rumor is they will be producing rims in China soon as some of their other components are.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Looks like 29 is 35mm outer and 29mm inner.Pulling the trigger on these right now!
    mxer, Thank you so much for the order! You won't be disappointed. Yes, 29mm inner width, and coming in at 445 grams on average now, some a little lighter, a couple were up to 450 grams. XC light in weight, DH/FR durable.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    My P35 is 1mm wider inner width. I was riding those, and then tried carbon rims and the weight drop was very noticeable, but the major loss in handling and stability with the same tires was very disappointing. So I started last October researching the feasibility of getting carbon fiber real wide rims made.

It turned out I had to invest in the molds to get it to happen, and design the rims. It's been very interesting, but I need to work a regular high tech high stress job to pay the bills. So working on this wide rim project mornings, evening, and weekends, it's been and still is a very long process in communication, design, critiquing, researching for any patent infringements (nope!), re-designing or adjusting design, communicating my design with the carbon fiber expert factory engineers and couple of carbon fiber manufacturing experienced friends, over many cycles, waiting for money transfers of my hard earned savings to get there trusting I wasn't going to be ripped off, then weeks waiting for the steel molds to be CNC'd and pictures of the first rims for testing, expert failure force testing, waiting for evaluation rims to build myself and ride (such an awesome experience riding my own design! and an instant handling confidence gain riding them, the performance improvement is incomparable, and that I was on the right track to proceed in risk), more design, communication, mold changes, setting up the business banking, business and sales licenses, bookkeeping myself, getting the web domain and building my own website and adding a shopping cart and designing and now managing that, proceeding with blind faith and much prayer that my very hard earned life savings was not just in vain, not just for my own ego inflation and riding pleasure. I almost quit 2 months ago, totally stressed out affecting my energy for my real job, to consider if I could be just to be satisfied I was riding these great rims and having learned much about rims and business. I stopped the project for a few weeks, then proceeded with recharged energy to bring these great rims to you guys at a price we career hard working recreational riders can afford. The first day of sales has been very encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    Bummer. Only available in the US
    At this point, unfortunately, shipping from the US to outside the borders is extremely expensive for "oversized" packages with the major shipping companies, like $350 or more per rim set package. Maybe foreign individual buyers can find a way to order a pick up shipment at a reasonable cost with one of their counties shippers. I hope international bike industry distributors will be interested to make substantial orders which could be drop-shipped direct from the factory. Drop shipping would be much to complicated for individual sales, I'd need to charge more for the much greater communication and handling effort. But "where there's a will, there's a way". Somehow international sales will happen, I just don't know how yet. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Noice!.. Can you possibly post some pics of common tires mounted on these? Spoke holes, molded or drilled?
    Yes more pictures will be posted in time to the website. The spoke holes are drilled with enough room for nipple direction "float". One reason I decided on a deep parabolic rim wall design besides maximum stiffness and strength, was for room for alternatively using internal nipples such as ENVE rims are limited to, for a stylish look although that is heavier and very inconvenient for adjusting spoke tension after building. These thick spoke beds with the parabolic rim wall design do not fail in testing, spokes break first. The many layers of crossing direction UD fiber and thickness are effectively as strong as much more labor intensive molded holes. Although the molded holes may reduce weight for the strength as much as 10 to 15 grams per rim. ENVE does have a patent filed on this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    The rear 135/142mm trail hubs have flanges that are about 90mm wide. The spoke holes are wide enough for sufficient nipple/spoke direction angles. I see no problem with using wide hubs for fat bikes, or 150mm DH rear hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    These rims look like a sweet option. Now if I can only find a way to taco one of my crests without hurting myself, so I need a "replacement".
    Ha! Keep those Crests in good condition,they could be sold to help offset the price of Derby Rims : )

Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    Would have like to order a set but i'm in Europe...

Are you coming to eurobike ?
    I'm working on getting international sales to happen. A Euro distributor could have a huge demand from Enduro riders.

I can't take the time from my regular job to get to Europe this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Awesome product idea. Insufficient warranty. For example, Specialized (big, bad, I know) offers lifetime to the original owner, and crash replacement prices when you need them. No need to purchase ahead of time.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my 30+ years trail riding experience, I've observed that manufacturing defects normally show up in the first month or six months or so of frequent riding of other components and rims. And the factory won't warranty more than 1 year. However, I could consider a longer defect warranty at my risk, I just don't want to get into what is a factory defect argument after years of heavy duty use as intended. Personally I think more than a year defect warranty is hype, except for metal fatigue and then 3 years seems more than a reasonable fatigue failure expectation for higher end.

I'm taking your crash replacement suggestion in consideration, it would need to be a higher price, the current price is below my costs. I should not loose because you crash or run over the rim with your truck. I expect crash damage that fails one of my rims would kill the rider! These rims are "overbuilt" according to an expert professional carbon-fiber design engineer.

It is steep for me too. But like cranks or dropper posts and other major components, the best cost more to produce and need to be priced to cover the higher costs and eventually profit.

Consider getting one wide rim for the front. Later a rear. The front end with narrow rims (I feel 30mm carbon rims are narrow), tends to wash out before the rear when hard cornering or up switchbacks. When I ran metal rims, I used a P35 only on the front, and a 28mm rear rim. Going back to narrow 30mm when I tried carbon rims was a major let down in handling performance and stability and directional control over rocks with much less side slip, so I began research on this wide rim project. And the rear wheel tends to follow the front. However, with the wide rims front and rear, the rear brake modulation is more powerful which makes the front tire grip better too in corners. The front end wash out is not really apparent with real wide rims front and rear, the same tire grips and rails in corners so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post

Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408
    Well my rims are currently $279 each for the first 10 sets ordered in each size, 29'r or 650b, which is $558 for a set plus $20 shipped anywhere in the US lower 48, add $20 more to Hawaii and $30 more for Alaska. International is too expensive to reasonably ship with cost quotes of $350 for the "oversized" packages from all the major carriers, so I'm hoping distributors will be interested to work out alternative production order shipping direct from the factory.

After the limited count Grand Opening price, it will rise, but probably no higher than $20 more per rim at first. That is until dealers and distributor buy in quantity (I hope!), then I'll have to maintain my direct order price at the full MSRP to support room for discounting to them, enough for both me and the resellers to make a buck, and room for them to discount below MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Very cool you've decided to follow your passion and provide a neat product, but come on man, who's ridden these and tested them and such data you can provide, because these aren't super cheap??

Small suggestion for your web site..change the colour of the font so it is darker and easier to read for us older folkes. Also, seriously, you don't need WIDE in orange everywhere on the page, makes it seem like some BS scam page that try's pushing crap with buzz words.
    Noted. I do need to add the failure force test data to the web site. Only a few have ridden them so far with confidentially. Maybe they will post their impressions, they confirm with me my own riding impression of incredible handling, stability, and traction performance improvement without sacrificing any weight advantage compared to light weight 24mm wide metal rims.

And I was wondering if the copy font was too light, I will darken that and make larger (I also wish Dirt Rag and Bike Mag would increase their font size, maybe not have so much white space between the character rows.)

Well the WIDE is what I am hyping! Maybe I have over done it : ) The wide-ness is the major performance advantage of these light weight rims optimizing just about any trail and DH tire, besides the easy tire installation without levers, secure bead locks for tubeless preventing burps, stiffness, and incredible rock hit durability, not to mention the great look of the deep rims on any bike.

Thanks everyone! .... I'll check back when I can come up for air again and relax here.

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

MTB B'dos
    Was wondering where you'd disappeared to Derby, but great response back to everyones questions.

On the "Who's ridden them" it would be a very good idea if the people who have ridden and tested them did do some reviews/write ups of their experience using them and what other rims/wheels they've used, what bike type they were used on and their style of riding.

To Font size, that's not an issue these days with current browsers, you only need to use CTRL+/- to change it, so wouldn't worry about that. As to font colour, I'm quite picky since I always believe the easiest/simplest solution is normally the best. Hear you on pushing the WIDE, but honestly, bolding it would make it stand out, but not as much as putting it in orange IMHO, but what do I know

Now all that aside, these have loads of potential, was looking at carbon rims but wasn't too impressed with the current offerings width wise. Personally can't afford any of these yet, but do plan to get a pair of Blunt35s to lace up and give a try on the Prime and rigid KM.

FYI, for international shipping, not sure about other places, but from here we can get freight forwarders in Miami who consolidate shipments to fill a container or pallet and charge a pretty reasonable rate, especially compared to the OS charge those couriers charge. They also handle the customs and all that other fun crap.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

I'm not sure if you've had to use the crash replacement on your Rovals yet, but for my Roval SL's it was $550 per rim, plus the cost to rebuild. I got lucky and it turned out to be a manufacturing defect, which Specialized just took care of (they do have a good warranty, can't argue with that), but I just wanted to point out that's a pretty steep crash replacement cost, and the initial cost is almost 2x these too.

I do find it interesting that he went with the "no bead hook" rim design, ala Specialized. I guess there's something to it.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    These look really interesting, hope you sell a bunch!

If there are any Scandinavians in here:
    Jetcarrier.com works really great for shipping items out of the US to Norway/Sweden/Denmark.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Complaining about the warranty is ridiculous. Specialized is a billion dollar corporation and Derby is a privateer doing countless hours of leg work for a minimal profit on top of his 40+ hr a week day job. I'm happy there's any kind of warranty, period! Specialized could give away 1000 sets of Rovals tomorrow and it would barely be a blip on their accountant's radar. Derby probably won't sell a thousand sets in a year(no offense).

Rant done...

Thanks for doing this, Derby. I love the design! Exactly what I would've designed for myself if I had the balls to do it. I bought a set

MTB B'dos
    While i agree that it's great that someone felt strongly enough to follow their dreams and produce a product they wanted and thought there is a market for (think Derby is right in this regard), I cannot agree that just because you're a small company or one man operation that your product should be any less or not have the confidence to stand behind it for a reasonable time frame, i.e. warranty, than a big company - If you're going to try and play with the "BigBoys", then expect to have to produce similar or better product and expectations of said products.

Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Complaining about the warranty is ridiculous. Specialized is a billion dollar corporation and Derby is a privateer doing countless hours of leg work for a minimal profit on top of his 40+ hr a week day job. I'm happy there's any kind of warranty, period! Specialized could give away 1000 sets of Rovals tomorrow and it would barely be a blip on their accountant's radar. Derby probably won't sell a thousand sets in a year(no offense).

Rant done...

Thanks for doing this, Derby. I love the design! Exactly what I would've designed for myself if I had the balls to do it. I bought a set
    If someone would care to, if there's no bead seat, then how does the tyre bead "seat" and stay on the rim?? Maybe I'm missing something simple, never claimed rocket scientist status so would appreciate the smarter ones explaining.

mtbr member
    I currently ride a set of carbon rims. They weight around 390grams. The OD is 30mm. I am not quite convinced that the derby rims are for me. I totally understand the stiffness angle and will agree that when I compare an aluminum rim to a carbon rim, there is no comparison. However, you have to weigh the advantages of light weight and the width/stiffness and I personally think that these are a little bit too heavy. One of the things that 29ers are plagued with is a heavy wheel set. In my mind the most important thing to make a 29er come alive and be a fun bike is to reduce the wheel weight. These may have the advantage of being super stiff, but it loses by adding too much weight and I believe the bike is not going to be a lively and fun to ride.....that being said, other riders may weight the stiffness of the rims greater than the weight. Just know what you want to get out of the product and buy the right one...
    Last edited by Atomik Carbon; 08-20-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling

AZ
    banned
    Pics? TIA.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

YaMon,
    I wouldn't sweat 50gr too much. While I see what you're saying, if 50gr is a big deal, then these probably aren't for you anyway. How much does an ENVE AM rim weigh? Yea... The Flow EX, Velocity P35 "AM" crowd will be all over these in a heartbeat! These can actually produce a LIGHTER setup if you ran a lighter tire. I'm scared to run a non sidewall protection, über light tire on my current carbon rims from fear of crunching the bead hook. With the wider, 50gr heavier Derby rim, I wouldn't think twice about running a 100gr lighter tire because I'm not worried about the bead so I could SAVE weight in rotating mass All depends how you work the numbers.

Lynx,
    The hookless design is just like a car or motorcycle bead. Modern mtb tires have such strong, tight beads, the hook really doesn't even do anything besides being a liability on a carbon rim. Specialized's new Roval Trail rims are hookless as well. It's an old technology being rehashed in modern times since the tire technology can now handle it. Derby has a slight "UST" style ridge(you can see in the cutaway picture on his website) that will keep the tire in the outer side of the wheel. His rim will be the norm in a few years. I see this rim as one of those visionary ideas that is far enough ahead of it's time that it will take a while to catch on.

mtbr member
    if there's no bead seat, then how does the tyre bead "seat" and stay on the rim?
    Ditto. More specifically, trying to figure out if the rims would be compatible for cyclocross using open tubular/clincher tires and latex tubes? While I have a couple sets of the LB XC carbon 29er rims with Specialized Trigger Pro tires and latex tubes for gravel/light trail use, those rims have a slight 'hook' on the inner bead and I am concerned that the lack of a 'hook' on the Derby rim bead might not be suited to the lower pressures with relatively narrower (32mm) cross tires.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Derby,thank you for developing these and having the b!!!s to have them produced.Mine will be here next Tuesday.Do not know what bike I am building yet but at least I will have trick wheels built for it.LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    derby,

First - a correction. On your Buy Now page you list the specs for BSD as 584mm for both 650B and 29". I think you want something around 622mm for 29". Probably a copy/paste oversight when the page was created.

Second - hats off for taking on this project! I've been a fan of wide rims for almost a decade so this is really great news for me. I hope this really takes off. I'm not currently in the market for a new wheelset, but when I am (probably early next year), this will probably be the only rim on my short list.

Thanks and good luck!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

I just got mine today! They're BIG!!! Pictures and numbers don't do these things justice. An old Flow literally fits INSIDE the rim bed of the Derby! I threw a tube and a Dampf on just to see what the volume was like. Massive. Tires fit very tight on these guys. My Dampf is used and has never been right enough to need a tire level to mount...until today. The bead seat is very tight and the UST style ledge makes getting them off a bit harder, which I find a good thing. The hookless design is nothing to be afraid whatsoever. Tires aren't going to roll off these guys or burp

The finish is MUCH better than my LightBicycle AM rims. A few imperfections here and there but it's matte carbon so it's to be expected. They'll be trashed within a few rides with me at the helm anyway. I couldn't be happier. Once my new hubs show up, off they go to Chad at The Barn There will be pictures...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Id love to see some pictures of tires mounted on them, say next to a picture of the same tire on a typical narrower rim, something maybe in a 2.35 29er?

mtbr member
    I just got mine today! They're BIG!!! Pictures and numbers don't do these things justice. An old Flow literally fits INSIDE the rim bed of the Derby! I threw a tube and a Dampf on just to see what the volume was like. Massive. Tires fit very tight on these guys. My Dampf is used and has never been right enough to need a tire level to mount...until today. The bead seat is very tight and the UST style ledge makes getting them off a bit harder, which I find a good thing. The hookless design is nothing to be afraid whatsoever. Tires aren't going to roll off these guys or burp

The finish is MUCH better than my LightBicycle AM rims. A few imperfections here and there but it's matte carbon so it's to be expected. They'll be trashed within a few rides with me at the helm anyway. I couldn't be happier. Once my new hubs show up, off they go to Chad at The Barn There will be pictures...
    Can't wait to get mine :-)

Currently on its way to the Red Barn :-)

I've gone for a classic i9 front hub and cx spokes

MTB B'dos
    OK Dude, since you're the first the task falls to you, as asked, pics of the same tyre mounted on these and say some LB ones and Flows if you have em and of course measurements.

As to ragging on Derby, that all part and parcel of having the cahones to start up something like this and feedback/criticism does help, once it's constructive and I think it has been. You can't blame people for questioning about warranty etc in these tough times, when a set of these rims will set you back the more than the cost of a decent wheelset like Pro2/Flows. I'll say though, if I had the coin I'd give them a go as I like wide and light would be nice, but it's the stiffness I want more than uber lightweight.

mtbr member
    OK Dude, since you're the first the task falls to you, as asked, pics of the same tyre mounted on these and say some LB ones and Flows if you have em and of course measurements.

As to ragging on Derby, that all part and parcel of having the cahones to start up something like this and feedback/criticism does help, once it's constructive and I think it has been. You can't blame people for questioning about warranty etc in these tough times, when a set of these rims will set you back the more than the cost of a decent wheelset like Pro2/Flows. I'll say though, if I had the coin I'd give them a go as I like wide and light would be nice, but it's the stiffness I want more than uber lightweight.
    It would be interesting to test all the carbon rims for stiffness. However ...keep in mind that you could have a rim that tests stiff and you would never be able to reach that limit....so in the end it would be a waste.

Eg...I sell a hurricane screen that the Building Code says the connection have to pass 400 pounds of pressure. Brass grommets pass at 600 pounds. There are 2 other connections that pass at 14,000 and 15,500 pounds of pressure.....at that pressure the house will not be standing anyways....

mtbr member
    So here is something interesting. I have 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralphs mounted 30mm wide rims. When I measure the distance between the edge of the rim and the edge of the tire, it is 10mm. Does this mean that with the same tire mounted to a 35mm wide rim, the distance will be 7.5mm ??

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'll get some pics and measurements tomorrow. They showed up about 30 minutes before I had to leave for a business trip so I didn't have any time to get pics/measurements done properly

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This is really exciting. Thanks for taking the plunge on this so we can have sweet toys to play with. I hope this works out for you (and us). Budget won't allow me to pull the trigger on these currently, but if things are on track when it does, these will be on my next wheelset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pics

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Sorry guys. Got home at 0830 yesterday and got called right back out for another trip! I WILL be posting pics before I send them off to Chad so sit tight

Carbon & Ti rule
    So you just dumped our needs that quick, Crushed & now I have to tell my wife that I have to buy some to look at just because you didn't take the time to take photo's.

I'm glade it's your fault & not mine.

Sorry guys. Got home at 0830 yesterday and got called right back out for another trip! I WILL be posting pics before I send them off to Chad so sit tight
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Oh boy... Now I have ANOTHER wife mad at me??? Haha

mtbr member
    I'll be building up my next wheelset with these. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looking forward to more pics and trying a front wheel to start.

MTB B'dos
    Hey Muzz, since DFYFZX was so inconsiderate, why not, when you're purchasing your rims add another 2 and send to me, I take excellent photos and would most likely get them before you anyhow Also have a decent selection of tyres to try on them, so definite win/win for ya and I mean seriously, like the wifeys gona get any more bent outa shape for you spending dosh on 2 more rims
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    So you just dumped our needs that quick, Crushed & now I have to tell my wife that I have to buy some to look at just because you didn't take the time to take photo's.

I'm glade it's your fault & not mine.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I just brought another set off I9 wheels & she has pinched them, So I am a set of wheels down.

The joke is every time she goes away with work I buy a bike or something for a bike. Last week she had to work Australia & I brought a bike & the I9's.

In 2 weeks time she has to work in England for to weeks, Then 3weeks after she is back she has to work in Australia for a week & then back in new Zealand for 2 weeks & then she is Working back in Australia for a week.

So it may be a bit hard to keep up my record of buying things I shouldn't.

Hey Muzz, since DFYFZX was so inconsiderate, why not, when you're purchasing your rims add another 2 and send to me, I take excellent photos and would most likely get them before you anyhow Also have a decent selection of tyres to try on them, so definite win/win for ya and I mean seriously, like the wifeys gona get any more bent outa shape for you spending dosh on 2 more rims
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

www.derbyrims.com
    I've just now got time and energy to return to MTBR. The response has been great. Besides my day job, I've spent nearly all my time shipping orders and corresponding to many emails from the Contact Us page on my web site and shopping cart. And barely able to get shorter rides in on the weekends, besides riding to my day job when I don't drive to drop off orders to ship. I want to rig up a rack on my bike to carry a few rim set boxes to drop off on the way to work.

After the 650b sales rocketed to the lead the first few days by 72%/28% over 29'r sales, now 29'r sales have rolled up momentum and taken over the sales lead, 54%/46%, and are pulling away!

Was wondering where you'd disappeared to Derby, but great response back to everyones questions.

On the "Who's ridden them" it would be a very good idea if the people who have ridden and tested them did do some reviews/write ups of their experience using them and what other rims/wheels they've used, what bike type they were used on and their style of riding.

To Font size, that's not an issue these days with current browsers, you only need to use CTRL+/- to change it, so wouldn't worry about that. As to font colour, I'm quite picky since I always believe the easiest/simplest solution is normally the best. Hear you on pushing the WIDE, but honestly, bolding it would make it stand out, but not as much as putting it in orange IMHO, but what do I know

Now all that aside, these have loads of potential, was looking at carbon rims but wasn't too impressed with the current offerings width wise. Personally can't afford any of these yet, but do plan to get a pair of Blunt35s to lace up and give a try on the Prime and rigid KM.

FYI, for international shipping, not sure about other places, but from here we can get freight forwarders in Miami who consolidate shipments to fill a container or pallet and charge a pretty reasonable rate, especially compared to the OS charge those couriers charge. They also handle the customs and all that other fun crap.
    LyNx, I did take some of your advice and darkened the font from a light gray to a dark gray, it was pretty light especially when the background was a light brown. I kind of like the orange "wide" here and there, I hope it helps keep reader interest to read the whole story, and "burn" the "wide" term into their memory. Who knows!

I am finding some alternatives for international shipping, It looks like USPS will ship from me to Europe for about $60 for a set of rims 3 - 5 days International Express, about $10 less for 6 - 10 day shipping to Europe. And I'm working out a direct from factory shipping option, which may be more costly about $70 to countries that USPS does not carry to or at a much higher rate. For example Australia only has a very high rate for 2 day shipping USPS, over $150 shipping per set of rims. I imagine once I learn the customs forms it won't be much more work to handle international.

I really liked what the 35mm P35's did to my 650b tires and bike handling and they were only 100grams each heavier than the 28mm rims I was using before. But to pile on some more hype... my rims, derbyrims, are lighter than the 28mm rims by almost 100 grams and the 650b x 40mm are wider... stronger, stiffer, lighter ....

Rant done...

I would be so stoked if I could sell 100 sets, I could get more aggressive with promotion, offer deep discounts to high profile racers to promote and gain media attention, and pay for booth space at expos, and such. In the first week I shipped 12 sets, so "only" 88 sets to go. I'm hoping the first customers posting ride reviews of my rims will really boost the confidence of others to buy. Should be any day now....

I will be handling warranty. No delays or expensive shipping back to Asia. I don't want to jinx myself, but I don't expect any warranty defects or crash damage problems. These rims are tough, overbuilt by design to endure DH/FR with enough tire air pressure for the situation, while being nearly XC-race light in weight.

While i agree that it's great that someone felt strongly enough to follow their dreams and produce a product they wanted and thought there is a market for (think Derby is right in this regard), I cannot agree that just because you're a small company or one man operation that your product should be any less or not have the confidence to stand behind it for a reasonable time frame, i.e. warranty, than a big company - If you're going to try and play with the "BigBoys", then expect to have to produce similar or better product and expectations of said products.

If someone would care to, if there's no bead seat, then how does the tyre bead "seat" and stay on the rim?? Maybe I'm missing something simple, never claimed rocket scientist status so would appreciate the smarter ones explaining.
    Any carbon fiber defect would show up while building the wheels or during the first few rides without crash impacts. I just don't want to get in to what is defect or crash damage after a year of hard riding as these rims are designed for. I'm considering a crash damage warranty as needed at a near cost to me price... I had followed Enve's terms there, to buy crash damage at the time of rim purchase, just a drop in the bucket for their rich buyers I guess...

Hookless rim walls:
    With tubeless ready bead seat design, tightly centering the tire around a rim, the upper bead hook is useless, even when using tubes, and weakens a rim, especially carbon rims. The clincher side hooks were useful back when rims had no bead seats for centering the tire around rims as they aired up. Dirt motorcycles don't have hooks, cars don't. Have a look at the Specialized Roval carbon rims, they have returned to having no side bead hooks. Clincher bead hooks is really an older rim design, the side hooks or "clincher" bead hooks, first became used in the early '70s when high pressure inner tubed road tires had trouble centering on the rim when airing up to 65+ psi and would blow off the rim sooner or later. Centering a tire is not a problem now with the tire centering TR inner bead seats now common. And my rim side walls rise 6mm above the bead seat, slightly more than most aluminum rims also keeping loosely beaded tires on the rims when aired up. There rims can easily take 80psi.

Bead locks:
    Notice my rims have a bead seat locking "lump" or ridge next to the deep channel around both bead seats. Much like UST bead seat design, this keeps a tubeless bead from sliding inward into the channel and burping while hard cornering. Also the bead locks keep the bead on the bead seat when the tire goes flat, so the flat tire can protect the rim from rock damage while rolling to a stop after flatting.

I currently ride a set of carbon rims. They weight around 390grams. The OD is 30mm. I am not quite convinced that the derby rims are for me. I totally understand the stiffness angle and will agree that when I compare an aluminum rim to a carbon rim, there is no comparison. However, you have to weigh the advantages of light weight and the width/stiffness and I personally think that these are a little bit too heavy. One of the things that 29ers are plagued with is a heavy wheel set. In my mind the most important thing to make a 29er come alive and be a fun bike is to reduce the wheel weight. These may have the advantage of being super stiff, but it loses by adding too much weight and I believe the bike is not going to be a lively and fun to ride.....that being said, other riders may weight the stiffness of the rims greater than the weight. Just know what you want to get out of the product and buy the right one...
    For XC racing, a narrow 30mm lighter rim, 40 to 50 grams lighter, is an advantage for smooth hill climbing, where most time is gained in an XC race.

Wider rims are more fun to ride, more stable, grip much better, and the much lower tire pressures enabled roll rocky conditions easier. I'm no XC racer, but I bet there are some rougher race courses where a 40 gram heavier really wide rim having more handling stability, much improved traction with the same tires, and less rock rolling resistance, added up to beat lighter climbing rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrep View Post
    How about we all cut him a little slack in the spirit of reality? When his prices rise to meet those of Specialized and Envy, then there is every reason to expect more from a warranty.

Derby, don't let anyone rain on your parade. Don't know if you were around when Stan entered the mtbr forums. Everybody and their brother lined up to kick him in the teeth in public, and to assure him of failure. Same thing happened with the introduction of 29ers here.

As a side note, since you are already having custom carbon rims built, consider this; Shimano has announced their 2014 Tubular XTR 29er wheels at $3200. Tubular rims are a very simple design, but at the moment there are no carbon tubular 29er mtb rims available anywhere at a fair price, IMO.

Tubulars may not be your personal choice, but those of us who race XC are getting quite excited about them. If you design them and have some built, they will sell!
    Yes I recall when Stan entered with his system, evolved from word of mouth mixes of home made latex sealant and ghetto rim strips (split and trimmed inner tubes), there was a lot of drama on the forums about "Tubes or No Tubes". I haven't introduced anything new, just put together all the best features done before in various other rims, and resurrected the classic wide rim having huge performance gains for trail riding, now without the big sacrifice of adding rolling weight.... well one thing is new, the thickest rim wall ever outside the tire bead which should cure nearly all big hit impact failures.

Tubulars do seem ultimate for XC racing, lighter than sealant converted tubeless. I'll have to take a closer look. After my immediate goal of paying back my investment risk of decades of hard earned savings, I want to expand in rim options.

YaMon,
    I wouldn't sweat 50gr too much. While I see what you're saying, if 50gr is a big deal, then these probably aren't for you anyway. How much does an ENVE AM rim weigh? Yea... The Flow EX, Velocity P35 "AM" crowd will be all over these in a heartbeat! These can actually produce a LIGHTER setup if you ran a lighter tire. I'm scared to run a non sidewall protection, über light tire on my current carbon rims from fear of crunching the bead hook. With the wider, 50gr heavier Derby rim, I wouldn't think twice about running a 100gr lighter tire because I'm not worried about the bead so I could SAVE weight in rotating mass All depends how you work the numbers.

Lynx,
    The hookless design is just like a car or motorcycle bead. Modern mtb tires have such strong, tight beads, the hook really doesn't even do anything besides being a liability on a carbon rim. Specialized's new Roval Trail rims are hookless as well. It's an old technology being rehashed in modern times since the tire technology can now handle it. Derby has a slight "UST" style ridge(you can see in the cutaway picture on his website) that will keep the tire in the outer side of the wheel. His rim will be the norm in a few years. I see this rim as one of those visionary ideas that is far enough ahead of it's time that it will take a while to catch on.
    Well I have to agree somewhat with YaMon on the weight difference, 2 x 50 grams is almost a quarter pound of rolling weight to accelerate compared to narrower less durable carbon fiber race rims. And for elite/pro level XC racing the ability to accelerate to pass and climbing is enhanced by lower rolling weight. For sport class racers, no, the weight difference is negligible. And even for elite/pros there probably are some very challenging rocky rough race courses where the huge handling and lower tire pressure rolling advantages of wider rims would out perform over race distance, compared to quicker smooth trail climbing advantages of a lighter narrower carbon rims.

And regarding hookless rim walls, the tubeless ready bead seats and typically well made beads these days stay well centered and secure on the rim without bead hooks. In 3 months of riding my rims and tubeless converted tires under 20psi in front under my 200+ ride weight, I have never burped air past the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by steiny View Post
    derby,

First - a correction. On your Buy Now page you list the specs for BSD as 584mm for both 650B and 29". I think you want something around 622mm for 29". Probably a copy/paste oversight when the page was created.

Second - hats off for taking on this project! I've been a fan of wide rims for almost a decade so this is really great news for me. I hope this really takes off. I'm not currently in the market for a new wheelset, but when I am (probably early next year), this will probably be the only rim on my short list.

Thanks and good luck!
    Yes, a copy and paste then edit mistake! 622 BSD for the 29'er rims. Thanks, I did see this a few days ago and got time to fix it only recently.

I hope I can keep my price where it is, or not much higher. But there are dealers and distributors already interested and corresponding a lot of interest, and I will have to raise the price to make more room for them to make a buck and offer discount prices to their customers too.

So here is something interesting. I have 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralphs mounted 30mm wide rims. When I measure the distance between the edge of the rim and the edge of the tire, it is 10mm. Does this mean that with the same tire mounted to a 35mm wide rim, the distance will be 7.5mm ??
    The tire profile widens next to the rim 1:1, but further towards the height of the tread the casing widens much less to none at all near the top/center of the tire's cross section profile, but stiffens the casing tension under the edge knobs more ....increasing the tire patch stability, and cornering traction bite... due to the belt-like resistance to stretching taller or wider of the angle of the casing closer to the tread.

So roughly speaking, about half way up from the rim to top, the casing widens about half as much as it widens near the rim. So, again roughly speaking, the widest cross section of the casing would widen about 1 to 1.5 mm at the casing's widest cross section on each side, going from a 30mm to 35mm rim width.

The shape of the tread flattens, the edge knobs gain more stiffness and cornering bite, the tire can be run with much lower pressures allowing easier rolling over rocks small and large, and more traction climbing, braking, and cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Derby,thank you for developing these and having the b!!!s to have them produced.Mine will be here next Tuesday.Do not know what bike I am building yet but at least I will have trick wheels built for it.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    Can't wait to get mine :-)

Currently on its way to the Red Barn :-)

I've gone for a classic i9 front hub and cx spokes
    Thanks guys for your courage to buy before more ride reports. You won't be disappointed!

I am really looking forward to your ride reviews and pictures of them on your trails!

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

mtbr member
    Are you only doing super wides? Nothing in more of an XC width in the future?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    on the 29er rim, with a 29mm inner width.. Would that be too wide for something like a 2.1 tire?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I hope not, For 1 why build what is already out there.

I would rather see more options in wide.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I hope not, For 1 why build what is already out there.
    because there arent any affordable hookless rims available? The rovals are only sold as a "system" (aka complete wheels).

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    because there arent any affordable hookless rims available? The rovals are only sold as a "system" (aka complete wheels).
    I thought LB said they were going to make some.

There was 1 other outfit that were going to make some to, I can't remember who it was, Might have to go back through emails.

AZ
    banned
    LB should have a hookless rim in a matter of weeks.

mtbr member
    I am still not sold on this hookless thing....guy that has a set of Rovals posted that he had a flat and with the hookless design, the tires just separate from the rims....he had a hell of a time trying to air them back up.....you almost need someone to hold it together while someone pumps them up till there is enough air to support itself.

In addition not all tires have been tested to see if they work with the hookless design. I can't see why you could not have a 3mm thick lip with a slight / modified hook.

I also hope Derby did his homework on the patents because Stan's and Mavic have a lot of patents on the rim designs...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I am still not sold on this hookless thing....guy that has a set of Rovals posted that he had a flat and with the hookless design, the tires just separate from the rims....he had a hell of a time trying to air them back up.....you almost need someone to hold it together while someone pumps them up till there is enough air to support itself.

In addition not all tires have been tested to see if they work with the hookless design. I can't see why you could not have a 3mm thick lip with a slight / modified hook.

I also hope Derby did his homework on the patents because Stan's and Mavic have a lot of patents on the rim designs...
    Tires falling off is NOT an issue. I just swapped tires to take some pictures for you guys and the tires were so dang hard to get off I almost gave up! The "UST ridge" Derby designed in holds the bead like a bear trap! These are actually more secure than any Stan's rim I've ever used.
    Last edited by DFYFZX; 08-26-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Some terrible pics for you guys. Old school Stans Flow, Derby rim and two matching Geax Gato 2.3s...

Derby rim EATS the Flow whole!

Girth of the Derby

440+/- 10 grams

Flow left - Derby right. 40lbs and a tube in each.

Casing on Flow

Casing on Derby

BONER!!!

Hope that gives you guys an idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice work

Cassoulet forever !
    For you guys looking for hokeless asymetric carbon rims made in europe, check out
    Jantes DUKE www.jpracingbike1.com
    ha also got a new AM rim, 440g like derby, but 5mm narrower, so Derby still got an advantage here !
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Unless he searches for a living, I hope he paid someone else to look.

I was actually thinking the other way around too. Derby needs to get their patent application filed. The clock is ticking in the AIA grace period (unless they already filed). . .
    Last edited by crit_boy; 08-27-2013 at 12:46 PM.

MTB B'dos
    No Sandspur, they would not be too wide for a 2.1" wide tyre, just do the math, 2.1"=53.34mm, which is still nearly 20mm wider than the rim. Now how it may effect the profile of said tyre is a different story, especially if you're accustomed to running it on a narrow (<25mm) rim, would really flatten out the profile compared to say running that same tyre on a 19mm or 22mm wide rim.

on the 29er rim, with a 29mm inner width.. Would that be too wide for something like a 2.1 tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I want these bad.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, 5mm difference, but let's not also forget the "little" price difference You can get 2 of Derby's rims (with change to spare) for the cost of 1 of those - Holy fvck, $730 US for 1 rim
    For you guys looking for hokeless asymetric carbon rims made in europe, check out
    ha also got a new AM rim, 440g like derby, but 5mm narrower, so Derby still got an advantage here !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No Sandspur, they would not be too wide for a 2.1" wide tyre, just do the math, 2.1"=53.34mm, which is still nearly 20mm wider than the rim. Now how it may effect the profile of said tyre is a different story, especially if you're accustomed to running it on a narrow (<25mm) rim, would really flatten out the profile compared to say running that same tyre on a 19mm or 22mm wide rim.
    I just didnt know if a 2.1 would have too flat of a tread pattern.. sorta like a car tire, which would lose too much traction in a lean like you would on a bike

Huckin' trails

I just didnt know if a 2.1 would have too flat of a tread pattern.. sorta like a car tire, which would lose too much traction in a lean like you would on a bike
    Since the wider rim would allow for more volume thus less air pressure, the tire would actually corner better as it would remain more square to the ground as you lean the bike rather than only have the outer knobs touching.

For someone lightweight like me, who can run 15psi on a 30mm rim with 2.4" tires, the advantage of a wide rim, no matter tire width, can be experienced first hand and I can clearly see my front tire grabbing loose terrain instead of washing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    derby-
    I see that you recommend 12mm Stan's yellow tape for tubeless application.
    Interesting, I've wondered why the 21mm and 25mm tape was used on narrow rims, where in some cases the tape was wider than the rim bed. Did this create a sort of "bead-lock" effect?

Curious about your experience running narrow tubeless tape. Did you use the same set up on aluminium rims?

The 650b x 40mm looks amazing! I need to find out if it will fit on my made for 26" Fox 36 Float RLC!

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I took the plunge (or is it risk) and ordered up a pair for myself. I'll be building them up on black Hope hubs with black DT Comp spokes and black DT brass nipples. The massive width of these rims should go well with my new Enduro 29 and I'm looking to grabbing some extra traction for my wet winter North Shore rides!

I'll post some pics when I get them built in approximately 2 weeks.
    Tallboy3 CC : Stigmata2 CC : Honzo carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Well, I took the plunge (or is it risk) and ordered up a pair for myself. I'll be building them up on black Hope hubs with black DT Comp spokes and black DT brass nipples. The massive width of these rims should go well with my new Enduro 29 and I'm looking to grabbing some extra traction for my wet winter North Shore rides!

I'll post some pics when I get them built in approximately 2 weeks.
    Have you bought the hubs already?

Hope have just announced a new pro2 Evo hub with 40t engagement due out in Oct.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_MTB View Post
    Have you bought the hubs already?

Hope have just announced a new pro2 Evo hub with 40t engagement due out in Oct.
    I've had the hubs for a while sitting and waiting for some new rims. Personally I don't put too much stock in quicker engagement hubs because I'm not ratcheting pedals all that much and a few degrees more rotation doesn't do much to make or break a ride.

Thanks for the heads up though,it'll be something to look into for my next build.
    Tallboy3 CC : Stigmata2 CC : Honzo carbon

www.derbyrims.com
    Ahhhh! ....I'm finally able to return here to catchup with the derby WIDE rim buzzzz!

First, as some have seen in the shopping cart notice, I ran out of 650b rims a couple days ago. More are currently air shipping here from the factory. I'm anxiously watching the shipper's tracking notices, and baring any unusual delays in transport, I expect to have more in hand in 3 or 4 days to ship to my 650b customers. I'll be shipping them in the same order I receive customer orders, and won't charge your credit card until I pack them to ship to you.

I recently placed another much larger production run order with the factory for both derby rim sizes. I had no idea of the initial customer response and did not have a large inventory to start with. I may have a few days gap without 29'r x 35mm rims in stock soon too. The next production run of 29'ers should be shipping to me in a day or two, so maybe no delay there.

The Grand Opening sale price of $279, which is $100 per rim below my intended MSRP is extended. I will eventually need to raise the price to support the soon coming distributors and dealers to have room to make a buck, because these rims are much higher cost overhead for them compared to aluminum rims. Carbon-fiber is 6 to 8 times the direct cost of labor and materials of aluminum rims, frames, bars, cranks, etc.

Also I've updated the crash replacement warranty to be as-needed and very near my direct from factory cost. See: Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    I believe 35mm is a better XC width. I hope someday soon to have a 29'er x 40mm, and 26" x 40mm. Possibly a fat bike carbon fiber rim. Not necessarily in this order. The cost to produce a new rim size is very large. I am curious to know how cyclecross tires do on my rims, I imagine they would help performance in all the same ways as with a bigger tire.

There is very little weight to loose by going to a narrower carbon fiber rim, about 15 grams per 5mm in width, not enough to make a enough weight performance gain over the huge loss in stability and grip while climbing braking and cornering.

I'm certain we will hear XC racers rave about the benefits of the 29'er x 35mm derby rim. The 32mm deep derby rim is deeper than any other rim allowing shorter spokes by 8 to 10mm per spoke of metal heavier than the rim's added depth. 24 and 28 spoke holes can be special ordered, with about a 3 week wait. I will stock these lower spoke count rims in the future. Also the wider rim's huge improvement in traction for nearly any tire a could allow riders to go to a lighter tread or smaller size tire with no net loss in performance, further lowering rolling weight.

Going to wider rims, mountain bike tires become a little less round in cross section profile, commonly called more "square", but it's not at all square, just slightly taller edge knobs with firmer casing tension under the edges of the tread, adding up to far more cornering grip and handling stability. Riders can use much lower air pressures with the more stable casing tension effect of wider rims, the cornering grip is much improved, and the lower pressures improve the feel of cornering traction sliding predictably with ability to use steering corrections to recover without suddenly washing out.

Tires falling off is NOT an issue. I just swapped tires to take some pictures for you guys and the tires were so dang hard to get off I almost gave up! The "UST ridge" Derby designed in holds the bead like a bear trap! These are actually more secure than any Stan's rim I've ever used.
    Rim wall bead hooks reduce rim wall strength. And the rim wall hooks are useless with tubeless ready inside shoulder bead seat centering design. After initial break-in, the bead doesn't stretch over the rim wall without moving the bead into the deep center channel. And as DFYDZX has noted the beads do not break loose easily from the Derby Rim bead seat locks to drop into the deep inner channel. These bead locks keep a tire secure next to the rim wall when the tire flats, and the tire protects the rim from rocks when rolling to a stop after flatting. With the bead locks it may be possible to ride a flat tire without rim damage if the loose tire wall doesn't interfere with the stays or fork.

DFYDZX, was that a WTB tubeless ready tire? I've found those beads are undersized quite a bit.

Patents? Mavic patented the UST design, and some tubeless spoke nipple adapters to have a sealed tubeless rim without using tape. Stan patented his shorter rim wall design, which does very little to improve stability by allowing the sidewall to spread slightly more than a taller rim wall, but does improve the ease to install tires onto the rim having a relatively shallow inner channel and oversized diameter bead seats. My design of the bead seats are not Mavic UST design compliant without having rim wall hooks, although UST beaded tires should have no problem fitting my rims very well and securely. And in contrast to Stan's short rim walls, mine are at the tall end of range I've measured in other rims, to ensure tires having loose beads do not blow off the tire. And my inner channel is at the deeper end of range I have measured, for easier tire install by hand or less effort with plastic levers over the rim wall. My bead seats are true to Bead Seat Diameter spec, not over size in diameter because the bead locks very effectively keep the tire bead tight and snug against the rim wall.

Yikes! Over US$700 per rim! Mine are $279 and better in every way. I need to raise my prices! Someday I will need to do so, even up to the MSRP of $379 which I feel is still affordable to hard working riders who want top performance and value for their hard earned money, riders like me. I'll need to raise prices to support more room for dealers to make a buck over their cost of my rims. My rims are much higher overhead cost than aluminum rims for a dealer. Maybe I can arrange financing for larger orders for my rims.

I offer price breaks for 8 or more rims, and 32 or more. See "Discounts" under "Frequent Questions" on my WIDE rim website page. And you can email me from my web site's About Us page in the "Contact derby" section.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Since the wider rim would allow for more volume thus less air pressure, the tire would actually corner better as it would remain more square to the ground as you lean the bike rather than only have the outer knobs touching.

For someone lightweight like me, who can run 15psi on a 30mm rim with 2.4" tires, the advantage of a wide rim, no matter tire width, can be experienced first hand and I can clearly see my front tire grabbing loose terrain instead of washing out.
    Yes, exactly. One test rider who was 140 lbs was using 14 psi in his 29 x 35mm wide derby rims and raving about the insane traction and bump compliance. I recommend tire pressures in the rim specs listed on the Buy Now page, as 10% +/- 1% rider weight in tire psi as a starting point for rocky rooty conditions. Your conditions may vary. I'm 6' 1.5", and 210 lbs, 95Kg, and have been running 17 - 18psi front and 22 psi rear for rocky rooty local tight trail conditions, for faster conditions I'd probably add 1 or 2 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by deoreo View Post
    derby-
    I see that you recommend 12mm Stan's yellow tape for tubeless application.
    Interesting, I've wondered why the 21mm and 25mm tape was used on narrow rims, where in some cases the tape was wider than the rim bed. Did this create a sort of "bead-lock" effect?

Curious about your experience running narrow tubeless tape. Did you use the same set up on aluminium rims?

The 650b x 40mm looks amazing! I need to find out if it will fit on my made for 26" Fox 36 Float RLC!
    The bead locks on the bead seats next to the deep inner channel in my rims do a better job holding air and the beads in place than tape rim wall to rim wall with no bead locks. The beads stay next to the rim wall, even when the tire goes flat while rolling to a stop so the tire protects the rim wall edge if flatting on rocks or pavement. Unless the tape is very wide as well as thin and flexible, such as a very wide electricians tape, it doesn't lay down smoothly over the bead locks and would cause trouble airing up tubeless, and the tape may peal away when removing a tire. So I recommend one round of Stan's narrowest 12mm tape in the center channel, possibly with a second layer of 18mm wide plastic tape or more layers in the middle channel if the beads are loose and won't air up tubeless easily. I've found one round of Stan's 12mm works fine and stays there when removing a tire. Any wider tape adds weight too.

On aluminum and other carbon fiber rims I had trouble with tape, or Stan's rubber rim strips, burping frequently. I ended up only trusting "ghetto" split inner-tubes trimmed to the edge of the rim walls after mounting the tire, to not burp. Ghetto rim strips effectively make tires nearly tubular once the sealant sets up and glues to the rim strip, so the ghetto strip lifts away from the rim under hard cornering with the tire preventing burping. Now on Derby Rims, riding the same trails and same tires tubeless, I have never burped air with my rims in more than 3 months, riding nearly every day doing some smaller jumps and drops here and there, the rim locks are very effective to keep the tire bead snug to the rim wall and inside the bead seat channels.

Check the 650b forum on the 26" Fox fork arch clearance in my Derby Rims Grand Opening post there. I think there's a picture of a 26" fork with Hans Damph 2.35 sized tires which still barely clear. The center of the tire tread does not grow taller, so it is like a belt around the wheel that even very high air pressure does not stretch to be taller, but the edge knobs do stand up more, about 1 to 2 mm taller and the casing does widen from the rim up to about half way up.

Thanks very much to everyone for your interest and support! Enjoy!!

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

Huckin' trails

Yes, exactly. One test rider who was 140 lbs was using 14 psi in his 29 x 35mm wide derby rims and raving about the insane traction and bump compliance. I recommend tire pressures in the rim specs listed on the Buy Now page, as 10% +/- 1% rider weight in tire psi as a starting point for rocky rooty conditions. Your conditions may vary. I'm 6' 1.5", and 210 lbs, 95Kg, and have been running 17 - 18psi front and 22 psi rear for rocky rooty local tight trail conditions, for faster conditions I'd probably add 1 or 2 psi.
    Well I'm actually 120# with gear and riding custom studded 26x2.4" tires on snow trails on a 6" FS bike, I would go down to 12-13 psi and had amazing grip, but didn't tried to go lower as I didn't wanted to risk a pinch flat out in the cold, and that I was taking a few feet of air trough jumps and some good bumps on downhills. I could literally fly downhill on icy hard pack snow road at 15mph and control the bike without fear of washing out. Over very bumpy iced snow, I could keep on pedaling hard and not have my front wheel wash out at every icy bump due to the tire eating the hump right away and not needing the suspension to do that job.

I got 33mm wide by 30mm deep carbon rims to go on my XC bike, paired with custom studded 26x2.1" tires, so I'm excited about this coming winter.

Derby, would you be interested into an investor for Derby Rims ? I see great potential right here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Hooligan
    I hope someday soon to have a 29'er x 40mm, and 26" x 40mm. Possibly a fat bike carbon fiber rim.
    I would love it if you had 26" option. and I bet a carbon 100mm fattie rim would do well in the current fat craze. although i can't currently afford a set, I have a lot of respect for what you are doing. I wish more people would be like you and take initiative when they had a good idea. I honestly think the bike industry would be a better place because of it. I hope that someday I can be like you and start designing and selling my own products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Keep on Rockin...
    Are the 29" Derby rims 32 hole?

Also, what is the ERD so I can order spokes?

This rim is going on a King disc rear hub.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

Per the site, 32 holes, 580mm E.R.D.

Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims

Keep on Rockin...

I looked all over the site, and in my usual fashion couldn't find the dang info. Still can't.

Thanks.

My iPad screen does not show the info !!!

It's pretty obvious on my desktop screen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I looked all over the site, and in my usual fashion couldn't find the dang info. Still can't.

Thanks.

My iPad screen does not show the info !!!

It's pretty obvious on my desktop screen.
    I dont think its even that obvious on a desktop. That info is usually in a "Technical Specs" section... not under the "buy now" section

www.derbyrims.com
    Whew! another week of many new emails and ongoing correspondence, and filling orders.... and the little problem of having a stressful day job getting in the way too! Seriously, I am very thankful to have a fair paying regular job which is enough to pay the bills for another year maybe longer, so many are unemployed and in need of work.

I able to ship international now. Some go direct from the factory, when the cost is extremely high if I ship myself. I prefer to inspect and ship them myself, to check the QC of each rim. I did get one where it passed the factory QC person but the valve hole was the same size as the spoke holes. Mistakes will happen, I've got to expect problems. I drilled it out myself and kept the wheel to build a demo wheel set, if I can find the time. Except for that one small problem with the valve hole undersized drilling, the rims arrive looking very nicely finished.

Everything is becoming more routine now, but correspondence just takes me a long time, checking for grammar and spelling mistakes, and researching shipping costs internationally. And I've found I can strap up boxes of rim sets on my backpack so I can still commute by bicycle to work every day.

I added the force to fail test results in the rim specs on the Buy Now page of Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims They each require over 224Kg or near 500lbs to crack at a spoke or valve hole at 90' to the direction of force, this is before building into wheels which multiplies the force to fail. The spoke pull tests showed that the spokes break first at or above 326KgF over 700lbs pulling force without damaging the rim. These numbers were from the 29'er test results, the 650b x 40mm wide rim tests had significantly higher force to fail numbers than the 29'er x 35mm rim.

I'm getting ready to go to Interbike. I can't make it to the Dirt-Demo (bummed!) but I will be inside Wednesday and Thursday walking the isles with a rim or two in hand to show off, and I'll be researching hubs and wheel build service options to eventually offer complete wheelsets and apparel options for eventual logo marketing. Maybe I'll be able to meet Francis and Brian aka Pastajet, and possibly other media types. If you are going to Interbike and want to see my rims, email me ray at derbyrims.com or use the contact form on the About Us page on www.derbyrim.com and send my your cell number. I can try calling when I get there to meet and show you my rims.

Now to catch up with some replies...

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    I would love it if you had 26" option. and I bet a carbon 100mm fattie rim would do well in the current fat craze. although i can't currently afford a set, I have a lot of respect for what you are doing. I wish more people would be like you and take initiative when they had a good idea. I honestly think the bike industry would be a better place because of it. I hope that someday I can be like you and start designing and selling my own products.
    I hope to introduce more wide rims soon, the fat bike rim may be a very good option for carbon fiber. 100mm wide? Not sure if the sidewalls would still clear the stays and forks and the chain might have to be offset wider than it is already. The rim weight drop may be a lot. And without drilling big holes in the rims tubeless could become an option, further reducing weight.

Over the years I've heard others and had myself a lot of ideas to make better bike stuff and other things. The time and especially the money to risk to do these things are the big hurdles. Right now I have a good job with pretty rare long hours that seems like it will last a while, so I have some confidence to risk a chunk of my life savings to make light weight WIDE rims the reality I've long wanted. I'm still a long way to reach break even, but every day that goal looks more promising.

This rim is going on a King disc rear hub.

I dont think its even that obvious on a desktop. That info is usually in a "Technical Specs" section... not under the "buy now" section
    Yes, the web site needs improvement. I'll try to get a new Technical page done soon.

Thanks everyone. ENJOY! : )

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks Derby.

The specs for the rims on your page would not show up on my ipad, but were there on my desktop screen. Glitchy computers.

Looks like my 29er rim is shipping. Thanks.

When you get time consider putting up spoke lengths needed for some of the more common hubs: Kings, Hadley, Hopes, etc.... While spoke calcs are suppose to be foolproof, don't underestimate the power of the fool! An area on your site to post tech stuff by yourself or by others building your rims would be nice (assuming its not there already).

This place needs an enema
    Site says internal nip compatible, but in his masthead side-on bike shot it looks like Ray is using standard (maybe even 16mm?) nips.

Which is it?

And for which is the quoted 580 ERD applicable?

Thanks,

MC

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Site says internal nip compatible, but in his masthead side-on bike shot it looks like Ray is using standard (maybe even 16mm?) nips.

Which is it?
    If the rim is deep enough (looks to be) couldn't you use these or these?
    In that case the answer would be "both," unless I'm missing something (I probably am).
    I've never used them, but I've seen wheels designed for standard nipples built with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

aka bOb

Now to catch up with some replies...

I hope to introduce more wide rims soon, the fat bike rim may be a very good option for carbon fiber. 100mm wide? Not sure if the sidewalls would still clear the stays and forks and the chain might have to be offset wider than it is already. The rim weight drop may be a lot. And without drilling big holes in the rims tubeless could become an option, further reducing weight.

Thanks everyone. ENJOY! : )
    A lot of us run 100mm rims, heck we are running tires that are 120mm. As far as holes for weight loss that doesn't affect tubeless either we just need a good bead lock. That being said I would take a poll in the Fat Bike forum to see the most desired width. I vote 100mm

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

There's enough width difference I'd almost vote for two different widths. Maybe 65mm and 100mm? Not every fat biker rides snow and wants maximum float and rotational weight. With tires ranging from 3.8" to almost 5", one rim width doesn't seem ideal for everyone.

aka bOb
    There's enough width difference I'd almost vote for two different widths. Maybe 65mm and 100mm? Not every fat biker rides snow and wants maximum float and rotational weight. With tires ranging from 3.8" to almost 5", one rim width doesn't seem ideal for everyone.
    I agree completely but if one was going to just start off building one rim first I would go wide. I would think a 100mm wide rim would have a lot more to gain from going carbon that a 65mm rim would but maybe I'm wrong all together

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

And Derby's MO is "wide" rims Sounds fair enough

www.derbyrims.com
    Sorry I can't visit here more often. Just too much direct email correspondence to cover every morning, evening, and middle of the night sometimes. While I must do a good job at my regular career job, developing software with a small group working inside a very large corporation.

I'm going to be at INTERBIKE this coming Wednesday and Thursday, walking the isles with a rim or two to show off, to meet some media types and others attending I know of, and to research wheel building services. I want to source quick engaging hubs 60 or more, possibly over 100 clicks per revolution available in Asia to offer wheelsets with my rims with high end quick engaging hubs to match. Like wide rims, I don't need to tell you how performance and safety is improved doing rocky climbs by very quick ratcheting hubs. If you are going to be there, please send me an email with your phone I can call or text when I get there about 9:30am Wednesday. It would be very nice to meet you in person. You can email me, ray at derbyrims dot com, or from my About Us page on my web site, Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims

Rims are shipping, but you guys are ordering faster than I can fill, so shipping orders has been delayed a week in both sizes, 650b and 29. I have new larger orders in and should be able to catch up and pass the rate of orders in a week or two, with about a week delay until I can ship until I catch up. And I plan to do larger orders every couple weeks to keep inventory in stock here to ship, and some at the factory to ship direct to customers where it is very expensive shipping from the US.

I prefer to inspect and flex test each one rather than ship direct from the factory, but only two have had small cosmetic flaws so far. I kept one I found, and missed another and heard about it and offered free return and shipping an exchange. I think the very high rate of quality finish work is partly because the factory engineers hand making these rims are pretty interested because they are so different than any other, and they may give more attention because of the unique design.

I flex test each rim by laying each rim across a long 2x4 wood board with a towel covering it to prevent any marring of the finish. And lay all my weight onto the rim, like doing a push-up from my knees on the rim straddling the board (try that with an aluminum rim!). And rotate the rim 90 degrees and weight it again, then flip it over and repeat on the other side. I'm listening for pops or crackling noises which would indicate internal lamination problems. Every one has been silent and I can't feel them flex.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Which is it?

And for which is the quoted 580 ERD applicable?

Thanks,

MC
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If the rim is deep enough (looks to be) couldn't you use these or these?
    In that case the answer would be "both," unless I'm missing something (I probably am).
    I've never used them, but I've seen wheels designed for standard nipples built with them.
    Thanks meltingfeather. I can also special order narrower spoke holes for a tighter spoke fit with internal nipples. And wider holes also if needed. I can only afford to stock, or try to keep in stock!, what the majority uses. I intend to stock alternative hole counts, 24, 28 count after I get ahead of the current rate of orders. For now they are special order and about a 1 to 2 week additional wait delay before I can ship to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I agree completely but if one was going to just start off building one rim first I would go wide. I would think a 100mm wide rim would have a lot more to gain from going carbon that a 65mm rim would but maybe I'm wrong all together
    I need to research the fat bike market. It seems to be very hot now. But it is very expensive in investment to make a mold and pay for production, my direct cost per rim after paying for a bigger more expensive mold would be about double for a 100mm rim. Nearly 100 rims must sell to break even on that at at least $100 higher price to customers per rim, or raise prices a whole lot more than that. Would there be this many buyers in a year? Maybe I could consider investment partners for smaller niche sizes, to be sure I don't loose what I can't afford to risk.

And Derby's MO is "wide" rims Sounds fair enough
    Yes, this!

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I need to research the fat bike market. It seems to be very hot now. But it is very expensive in investment to make a mold and pay for production, my direct cost per rim after paying for a bigger more expensive mold would be about double for a 100mm rim. Nearly 100 rims must sell to break even on that at at least $100 higher price to customers per rim, or raise prices a whole lot more than that. Would there be this many buyers in a year? Maybe I could consider investment partners for smaller niche sizes, to be sure I don't loose what I can't afford to risk.
    Considering current fat bike rims encroach on the $200 mark and are hardly ever in stock, I don't see any issue with you dumping a whole lot of rims for around $300 a pop. Of course, I'd like to pay less than that but you wouldn't be out of line asking whatever you want since you'd be the only option. There's guys building custom titanium fatbikes passing the $10,000 mark and there's a few carbon frame options coming out in '14 so there would most definitely be a market for a "weight weenie" rim. I don't think stiffness would be the main purchasing point since the current rims aren't known for being flexy. If you could shave a 1/4+ pound off the existing rim weights weights and also make tubeless a cinch(saving over two pounds of tube) you'd be a fatbike legend

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Considering current fat bike rims encroach on the $200 mark and are hardly ever in stock, I don't see any issue with you dumping a whole lot of rims for around $300 a pop. Of course, I'd like to pay less than that but you wouldn't be out of line asking whatever you want since you'd be the only option. There's guys building custom titanium fatbikes passing the $10,000 mark and there's a few carbon frame options coming out in '14 so there would most definitely be a market for a "weight weenie" rim. I don't think stiffness would be the main purchasing point since the current rims aren't known for being flexy. If you could shave a 1/4+ pound off the existing rim weights weights and also make tubeless a cinch(saving over two pounds of tube) you'd be a fatbike legend
    The fat forum is abuzz with a couple new carbon rim options which are going for around $1500 per set. Neither are 100mm though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    The fat forum is abuzz with a couple new carbon rim options which are going for around $1500 per set. Neither are 100mm though.
    First Look: Tubeless Carbon Fatbike Wheels? Borealis has em, with New Carbondale Rims!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How much would shipping to THE netherlands would be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just getting back into MTBing. Your rims looks very interesting...may order a pair soon. Will be in touch for some details regarding spokes and nipples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great looking rims- any reviews yet?

I'd like to see a 40 or 50mm 29er rim or even 60mm! A 60mm don't rim combined with a Surly Knard would be awesome!

I'd like, I mean definitely buy , a 65/70mm 26" rim for my fat front Jones, I bet you'd sell plenty of rims of this size, may be worth speaking to Jeff Jones. My current 72mm rim weighs 920g - shaving 300g off that would be awesome.

I wish you all the success- and may you bring us many more rims

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Derby, do you know if anyone has put your 29er rims on a Ripley? Going to run Purgatory 2.3 or 2.4 if they will fit. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    customs, will i be charged?

mtbr member
    The Importer into the USA (derby) is responsible for those charges....not you....unless you live in another country, then yes, you will probably be charged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have placed an order for 29er rims. I think there is a short delay due to stock and vacation issues. Hopefully I will have new wheels in about 2 weeks? This is definitely my biggest upgrade expense (besides new bikes). I'm really hoping that I find it noticeable and worth the expense. I will post a review when I've put a few miles on them.

mtbr member
    Got my rims on order can't wait! I've gone the Light-Bicycle rims route, and while nice, I like the profile and build of these SOOOO much better!
    Bend, Oregon

This place needs an enema
    Laced my first set of these last night. Very impressive overall. Tension balanced out perfectly, and I mean as good as any other rim I've built with, ever.

Aired them up tubeless with 3.0 Knards and did one short ride. Will ride 'em a bunch more before commenting further.

Just noticed that Ray has put up an option for a 29" "heavy duty" rim on his e-commerce site. No mention that I could find of what's different. Anyone know?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast