Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    www.derbyrims.com

Smile 29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

Hi Friends,

Thank you all for providing so much technical trail bike knowledge. I've learned so much and met so many great people over my 15 years participating in the MTBR forums.

Now it's my turn to give back and serve the trail bike community, with what I know many including me have long been asking for.

I'm introducing here the first WIDE carbon-fiber rims for mountain bikes, 29 x35mm and 650b x 40mm.

See Home for details, and a limited sale price for the first 10 rim sets.

I want you to ride them first.

I could go on and on what a game changer these rims make in optimizing 2.1 and larger tire performance for stability, grip, and handling, with DH/FR durability and XC weight.

BTW, I've posted an MTBR classified ad. And updated my signature as per the forum policies.
    www.derbyrims.com STRONGER, STIFFER, LIGHTER

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Hi Friends,

Thank you all for providing so much technical trail bike knowledge. I've learned so much and met so many great people over my 15 years participating in the MTBR forums.

Now it's my turn to give back and serve the trail bike community, with what I know many including me have long been asking for.

I'm introducing here the first WIDE carbon-fiber rims for mountain bikes, 29 x35mm and 650b x 40mm.

See Home for details, and a limited sale price for the first 10 rim sets.

I want you to ride them first.

I could go on and on what a game changer these rims make in optimizing 2.1 and larger tire performance for stability, grip, and handling, with DH/FR durability and XC weight.

BTW, I've posted an MTBR classified ad. And updated my signature as per the forum policies.
    on the 29er rim, how wide is the ID? where are they manufactured? Who designed them? is there a phone number we can call you to dicsuss?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice to see you doing your own thing. Rims look great!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Awesome - is L-B your OEM?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks like 29 is 35mm outer and 29mm inner.Pulling the trigger on these right now!

mtbr member
    Arch EX weight, Blunt 35 ID.....intriguing....

mtbr member
    May 2006

29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

Bummer. Only available in the US

AZ
    banned
    Noice!.. Can you possibly post some pics of common tires mounted on these? Spoke holes, molded or drilled?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Really interested. How are these mounted to 100mm hubs? I ask because I've been changing bike configs a lot, and I'm starting to wish for something I'm not sure exists, which would be 135mm wide front suspension. I don't need much suspension. I have a Jones with a fat front that I like a lot, but sometimes I need just a little more than pneumatic suspension, but I like the precision of the wider stringer front wheel...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Really interested. How are these mounted to 100mm hubs? I ask because I've been changing bike configs a lot, and I'm starting to wish for something I'm not sure exists, which would be 135mm wide front suspension. I don't need much suspension. I have a Jones with a fat front that I like a lot, but sometimes I need just a little more than pneumatic suspension, but I like the precision of the wider stringer front wheel...

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!

mtbr member
    These rims look like a sweet option. Now if I can only find a way to taco one of my crests without hurting myself, so I need a "replacement".

Cassoulet forever !
    Would have like to order a set but i'm in Europe...

Are you coming to eurobike ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Awesome product idea. Insufficient warranty. For example, Specialized (big, bad, I know) offers lifetime to the original owner, and crash replacement prices when you need them. No need to purchase ahead of time.

Sticking with the Rovals for now, but REALLY attracted to the size of these!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i like the 27.5 light bikes on my trc. really unhappy with the crests on my tallboy? but $279 is a little steep for me. i guess i'll settle for another set of lb rims.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    i like the 27.5 light bikes on my trc. really unhappy with the crests on my tallboy? but $279 is a little steep for me. i guess i'll settle for another set of lb rims.
    How long you been running your LB Rim's ? TIA I'm either going LB or Roval waiting on price for Roval Hoops
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    It costs you $200 for each LB rim , landed in the USA. You are telling me you would not pay an extra $100 for an additional year warranty and a crash replacement program that would cost you 50 percent and you could be back on the trail in one week?.. Ha ha....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Awesome - is L-B your OEM?
    LB is not a manufacturer....have you not figured it out yet?..

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    It costs you $200 for each LB rim , landed in the USA. You are telling me you would not pay an extra $100 for an additional year warranty and a crash replacement program that would cost you 50 percent and you could be back on the trail in one week?.. Ha ha....
    Where you getting the "$200" from? Its $50 to ship two LB rims. These Derby rims are $379 also.

Two LB rims shipped= $350
    Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408

MTB B'dos
    Very cool you've decided to follow your passion and provide a neat product, but come on man, who's ridden these and tested them and such data you can provide, because these aren't super cheap??

Small suggestion for your web site..change the colour of the font so it is darker and easier to read for us older folkes. Also, seriously, you don't need WIDE in orange everywhere on the page, makes it seem like some BS scam page that try's pushing crap with buzz words.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i built the wheelset last spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Where you getting the "$200" from? Its $50 to ship two LB rims. These Derby rims are $379 also.

Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408
    LB - $165 x 2 = $330
    Shipping $ 50
    Paypal $19
    TOTAL $399.....$400

DERBY is running a Special at $279 x 2 = $558 + Shipping..call it less than $600.

What is the difference ??

Oh, BTW. 3mm lip vs. 2mm lip means that the part that needs to be the strongest is going to be less prone to fail.

Have you calculated how much it will cost you to replace your LB rims ??

AZ
    banned
    Enough of the hijack of derby's thread. If you want to debate the LB rims go do it in the LB thread. TIA.

www.derbyrims.com
    Wow. I feel so good hearing so many positive vibrations!

Other than my day job, and a short 2 hour ride before dark last night, since announcing the Grand Opening till now I've been non-stop replying to emails from derbyrims.com and filling orders.

The first day was great!

Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    on the 29er rim, how wide is the ID? where are they manufactured? Who designed them? is there a phone number we can call you to dicsuss?
    3mm thick "hookless" rim walls, which is 0.5mm more than the thickest hooked rim walls, adding minimal weight but much durability from rock hits when flatting, and a wide surface to prevent most tire or tube snake-bit pinch flats. Although, I managed to pinch flat my tire landing a drop on a sharp rock with very low tubeless air pressure, making minimal damage to the rim with no rim repair needed. See the web site for a picture of this damage.

The factory is confidential, but it's not in the US, I could not afford this risk otherwise. ENVE rims are the only make in the US, and this is the main reason each rim's MSRP is $900, and rumor is they will be producing rims in China soon as some of their other components are.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Looks like 29 is 35mm outer and 29mm inner.Pulling the trigger on these right now!
    mxer, Thank you so much for the order! You won't be disappointed. Yes, 29mm inner width, and coming in at 445 grams on average now, some a little lighter, a couple were up to 450 grams. XC light in weight, DH/FR durable.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Arch EX weight, Blunt 35 ID.....intriguing....
    My P35 is 1mm wider inner width. I was riding those, and then tried carbon rims and the weight drop was very noticeable, but the major loss in handling and stability with the same tires was very disappointing. So I started last October researching the feasibility of getting carbon fiber real wide rims made.

It turned out I had to invest in the molds to get it to happen, and design the rims. It's been very interesting, but I need to work a regular high tech high stress job to pay the bills. So working on this wide rim project mornings, evening, and weekends, it's been and still is a very long process in communication, design, critiquing, researching for any patent infringements (nope!), re-designing or adjusting design, communicating my design with the carbon fiber expert factory engineers and couple of carbon fiber manufacturing experienced friends, over many cycles, waiting for money transfers of my hard earned savings to get there trusting I wasn't going to be ripped off, then weeks waiting for the steel molds to be CNC'd and pictures of the first rims for testing, expert failure force testing, waiting for evaluation rims to build myself and ride (such an awesome experience riding my own design! and an instant handling confidence gain riding them, the performance improvement is incomparable, and that I was on the right track to proceed in risk), more design, communication, mold changes, setting up the business banking, business and sales licenses, bookkeeping myself, getting the web domain and building my own website and adding a shopping cart and designing and now managing that, proceeding with blind faith and much prayer that my very hard earned life savings was not just in vain, not just for my own ego inflation and riding pleasure. I almost quit 2 months ago, totally stressed out affecting my energy for my real job, to consider if I could be just to be satisfied I was riding these great rims and having learned much about rims and business. I stopped the project for a few weeks, then proceeded with recharged energy to bring these great rims to you guys at a price we career hard working recreational riders can afford. The first day of sales has been very encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    Bummer. Only available in the US
    At this point, unfortunately, shipping from the US to outside the borders is extremely expensive for "oversized" packages with the major shipping companies, like $350 or more per rim set package. Maybe foreign individual buyers can find a way to order a pick up shipment at a reasonable cost with one of their counties shippers. I hope international bike industry distributors will be interested to make substantial orders which could be drop-shipped direct from the factory. Drop shipping would be much to complicated for individual sales, I'd need to charge more for the much greater communication and handling effort. But "where there's a will, there's a way". Somehow international sales will happen, I just don't know how yet. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Noice!.. Can you possibly post some pics of common tires mounted on these? Spoke holes, molded or drilled?
    Yes more pictures will be posted in time to the website. The spoke holes are drilled with enough room for nipple direction "float". One reason I decided on a deep parabolic rim wall design besides maximum stiffness and strength, was for room for alternatively using internal nipples such as ENVE rims are limited to, for a stylish look although that is heavier and very inconvenient for adjusting spoke tension after building. These thick spoke beds with the parabolic rim wall design do not fail in testing, spokes break first. The many layers of crossing direction UD fiber and thickness are effectively as strong as much more labor intensive molded holes. Although the molded holes may reduce weight for the strength as much as 10 to 15 grams per rim. ENVE does have a patent filed on this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    The rear 135/142mm trail hubs have flanges that are about 90mm wide. The spoke holes are wide enough for sufficient nipple/spoke direction angles. I see no problem with using wide hubs for fat bikes, or 150mm DH rear hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    These rims look like a sweet option. Now if I can only find a way to taco one of my crests without hurting myself, so I need a "replacement".
    Ha! Keep those Crests in good condition,they could be sold to help offset the price of Derby Rims : )

Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    Would have like to order a set but i'm in Europe...

Are you coming to eurobike ?
    I'm working on getting international sales to happen. A Euro distributor could have a huge demand from Enduro riders.

I can't take the time from my regular job to get to Europe this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Awesome product idea. Insufficient warranty. For example, Specialized (big, bad, I know) offers lifetime to the original owner, and crash replacement prices when you need them. No need to purchase ahead of time.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my 30+ years trail riding experience, I've observed that manufacturing defects normally show up in the first month or six months or so of frequent riding of other components and rims. And the factory won't warranty more than 1 year. However, I could consider a longer defect warranty at my risk, I just don't want to get into what is a factory defect argument after years of heavy duty use as intended. Personally I think more than a year defect warranty is hype, except for metal fatigue and then 3 years seems more than a reasonable fatigue failure expectation for higher end.

I'm taking your crash replacement suggestion in consideration, it would need to be a higher price, the current price is below my costs. I should not loose because you crash or run over the rim with your truck. I expect crash damage that fails one of my rims would kill the rider! These rims are "overbuilt" according to an expert professional carbon-fiber design engineer.

It is steep for me too. But like cranks or dropper posts and other major components, the best cost more to produce and need to be priced to cover the higher costs and eventually profit.

Consider getting one wide rim for the front. Later a rear. The front end with narrow rims (I feel 30mm carbon rims are narrow), tends to wash out before the rear when hard cornering or up switchbacks. When I ran metal rims, I used a P35 only on the front, and a 28mm rear rim. Going back to narrow 30mm when I tried carbon rims was a major let down in handling performance and stability and directional control over rocks with much less side slip, so I began research on this wide rim project. And the rear wheel tends to follow the front. However, with the wide rims front and rear, the rear brake modulation is more powerful which makes the front tire grip better too in corners. The front end wash out is not really apparent with real wide rims front and rear, the same tire grips and rails in corners so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post

Two Derby rims=$758
    Difference=$408
    Well my rims are currently $279 each for the first 10 sets ordered in each size, 29'r or 650b, which is $558 for a set plus $20 shipped anywhere in the US lower 48, add $20 more to Hawaii and $30 more for Alaska. International is too expensive to reasonably ship with cost quotes of $350 for the "oversized" packages from all the major carriers, so I'm hoping distributors will be interested to work out alternative production order shipping direct from the factory.

After the limited count Grand Opening price, it will rise, but probably no higher than $20 more per rim at first. That is until dealers and distributor buy in quantity (I hope!), then I'll have to maintain my direct order price at the full MSRP to support room for discounting to them, enough for both me and the resellers to make a buck, and room for them to discount below MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Very cool you've decided to follow your passion and provide a neat product, but come on man, who's ridden these and tested them and such data you can provide, because these aren't super cheap??

Small suggestion for your web site..change the colour of the font so it is darker and easier to read for us older folkes. Also, seriously, you don't need WIDE in orange everywhere on the page, makes it seem like some BS scam page that try's pushing crap with buzz words.
    Noted. I do need to add the failure force test data to the web site. Only a few have ridden them so far with confidentially. Maybe they will post their impressions, they confirm with me my own riding impression of incredible handling, stability, and traction performance improvement without sacrificing any weight advantage compared to light weight 24mm wide metal rims.

And I was wondering if the copy font was too light, I will darken that and make larger (I also wish Dirt Rag and Bike Mag would increase their font size, maybe not have so much white space between the character rows.)

Well the WIDE is what I am hyping! Maybe I have over done it : ) The wide-ness is the major performance advantage of these light weight rims optimizing just about any trail and DH tire, besides the easy tire installation without levers, secure bead locks for tubeless preventing burps, stiffness, and incredible rock hit durability, not to mention the great look of the deep rims on any bike.

Thanks everyone! .... I'll check back when I can come up for air again and relax here.
    www.derbyrims.com STRONGER, STIFFER, LIGHTER

29 x 35mm wide
    650b x 40mm wide

MTB B'dos
    Was wondering where you'd disappeared to Derby, but great response back to everyones questions.

On the "Who's ridden them" it would be a very good idea if the people who have ridden and tested them did do some reviews/write ups of their experience using them and what other rims/wheels they've used, what bike type they were used on and their style of riding.

To Font size, that's not an issue these days with current browsers, you only need to use CTRL+/- to change it, so wouldn't worry about that. As to font colour, I'm quite picky since I always believe the easiest/simplest solution is normally the best. Hear you on pushing the WIDE, but honestly, bolding it would make it stand out, but not as much as putting it in orange IMHO, but what do I know

Now all that aside, these have loads of potential, was looking at carbon rims but wasn't too impressed with the current offerings width wise. Personally can't afford any of these yet, but do plan to get a pair of Blunt35s to lace up and give a try on the Prime and rigid KM.

FYI, for international shipping, not sure about other places, but from here we can get freight forwarders in Miami who consolidate shipments to fill a container or pallet and charge a pretty reasonable rate, especially compared to the OS charge those couriers charge. They also handle the customs and all that other fun crap.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

I'm not sure if you've had to use the crash replacement on your Rovals yet, but for my Roval SL's it was $550 per rim, plus the cost to rebuild. I got lucky and it turned out to be a manufacturing defect, which Specialized just took care of (they do have a good warranty, can't argue with that), but I just wanted to point out that's a pretty steep crash replacement cost, and the initial cost is almost 2x these too.

I do find it interesting that he went with the "no bead hook" rim design, ala Specialized. I guess there's something to it.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast