Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12

    29 Tire pressure

    Can you please let me know what is the tire pressure on your bike.
    What should my pressure be?

    I am 160lb. I just got my bike, and the tire pressure seems low < 30 PSI.
    Seems like only 2/3 full. I can press down the tire by quite a bit.

    I will use on road or flat trial most of the time.

    Any tire pump recommendation ? I saw a floor pump with digital guage for $30 in Target.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    117
    When I'm on the road/flat dirt I use 70 lbs. with the tire noting 80 lbs. max. On MTB paths, I drop to 35 lbs. or so as I'm 205 lbs. High 28's, low 30's are normal for your weight. Most floor pumps will get the job done, you just get picky with the one you may carry.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    539
    30-32 front, 35-38 rear depending on the trails and amount of jumps on that trail. 45 on pavement.

    I can't keep less in the rear or I get pinch flats. 205lbs on a Mamba.

  4. #4
    Vincit qui patitur
    Reputation: owtdorz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    621
    I'm 230# and ride 40psi on the road (commute)
    28-30 on trail
    Probably dropping to 25 on trail since going tubeless.
    I will be testing with psi this weekend.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Justin Credible's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    207
    I run tubeless, low 20's
    60% of the time ......it works all the time

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    112
    I'm running tubeless and run 22-26 PSI. Typically a couple psi lower in the back than the front. I find it depends somewhat on the tire and the trail.

    My road bike is tubes and I run at 80 minimum usually higher (that's running a 700 x 23 or 25 tire though and the sweet spot seems to be 100 psi for me at 165 lbs). What tire size are you running? For road try starting about 5-10 psi below max and drop in 5psi increments until you find the feel you like. For dirt start around 40 and do the same. If your running tubeless start much lower pressure like 25 psi and try adjusting in smaller increments like 1-2 psi. That's worked for me for a dozen different tires so far. I've also found I run different tires at different psi to get the best ride out of them.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by apatron View Post
    I'm running tubeless and run 22-26 PSI. Typically a couple psi lower in the back than the front. I find it depends somewhat on the tire and the trail.

    My road bike is tubes and I run at 80 minimum usually higher (that's running a 700 x 23 or 25 tire though and the sweet spot seems to be 100 psi for me at 165 lbs). What tire size are you running? For road try starting about 5-10 psi below max and drop in 5psi increments until you find the feel you like. For dirt start around 40 and do the same. If your running tubeless start much lower pressure like 25 psi and try adjusting in smaller increments like 1-2 psi. That's worked for me for a dozen different tires so far. I've also found I run different tires at different psi to get the best ride out of them.
    Good advice. There is no one pressure setting that's appropriate. It depends on the tire, the riding surface and the rider.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  8. #8
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Good advice. There is no one pressure setting that's appropriate. It depends on the tire, the riding surface and the rider.
    +1 - the width of the rim is also something to consider- particularly for low pressure if running tubeless. I can run my tires a good 2-3 PSI lower on (wide) Stan's Flow or Bonrager Duster's as opposed to (narrower) Stan's 355 or Crest rims.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    46
    I am 190 pounds. Tubeless with Stans sealant.

    Front: Stans Flow Ex with Maxxis Ardent 2.4 = 20 psi
    Rear: Stans Flow Ex with Maxxis Ardent 2.25 = 25 psi

  10. #10
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam2of4 View Post
    Can you please let me know what is the tire pressure on your bike.
    What should my pressure be?

    I am 160lb. I just got my bike, and the tire pressure seems low < 30 PSI.
    Seems like only 2/3 full. I can press down the tire by quite a bit.

    I will use on road or flat trial most of the time.

    Any tire pump recommendation ? I saw a floor pump with digital guage for $30 in Target.

    Thanks.
    Go read the sticky at the top of the wheels and tires page.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  11. #11
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,870
    It comes down a little to personal choice and obviously road conditions.
    I feel best at around 30psi but am usually on more difficult mountain paths.
    I am 165-170 lbs

    Wouldn't go too much below that or you risk a pinch flat.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tillers_Rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    501
    6'4, 200lbs, Kenda Nevegal on both my 26er and 29er.

    26er 35psi front, 40psi rear
    29er 30psi front , 35psi rear

    cross country, AM trails

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

    Wouldn't go too much below that or you risk a pinch flat.
    Unless your running tubeless

  14. #14
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam2of4 View Post
    Can you please let me know what is the tire pressure on your bike.
    What should my pressure be?

    I am 160lb. I just got my bike, and the tire pressure seems low < 30 PSI.
    Seems like only 2/3 full. I can press down the tire by quite a bit.

    I will use on road or flat trial most of the time.

    Any tire pump recommendation ? I saw a floor pump with digital guage for $30 in Target.

    Thanks.
    First of all, trust the reading on your pump or gauge about as far as you can kick it with your left foot. Best to invest in a nice digital tire gauge - and even then - not all are created equal. I say that because if you can press down the tire "by quite a bit", the 30 psi reading you are getting may not be accurate at all.

    I'm 180, run 21 psi front on a 2.35 Nobby Nic and about 23 psi rear (same size tire). Midsize tires such as 2.25's or 2.2's I will run about 22 front 24 rear. 2.1's or smaller, and I might be 2 - 4 psi or even higher front and rear depending on the tire. Everything is tubeless for me.

    Again - one man's tire gauge may be quite different from another.

    BB

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    First of all, trust the reading on your pump or gauge about as far as you can kick it with your left foot. Best to invest in a nice digital tire gauge - and even then - not all are created equal. I say that because if you can press down the tire "by quite a bit", the 30 psi reading you are getting may not be accurate at all.

    I'm 180, run 21 psi front on a 2.35 Nobby Nic and about 23 psi rear (same size tire). Midsize tires such as 2.25's or 2.2's I will run about 22 front 24 rear. 2.1's or smaller, and I might be 2 - 4 psi or even higher front and rear depending on the tire. Everything is tubeless for me.

    Again - one man's tire gauge may be quite different from another.

    BB
    I'll certainly back this up. Or better yet get used to the pump you use and figure out where you like your tires relative to that pump. I am 165 lbs and run tubeless 2.3 purgatorys.......my pump reads 15 psi front 18 psi rear. Now obviously that is not true, but I know relative to my pump where I like my tires.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •