Thread: 29+ Fast Tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

New question here. 29+ Fast Tires

Hey guys, I've been searching, and will continue to, but what is there for a fast/light 29+ Tire in the 2.6-2.8" range? I will be using this mostly for XC and Gravel on the front of my SS and want something comparable to the Racing Ralph, which is what I'll be running on the rear.

mtbr member
    Bontrager Chupacabra?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You wouldn't consider 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 Ikon?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks guys, I am liking that Chupacabra, may be a little large though, but it's on my list now. The Maxxis are too small.

MSH
    mtbr member
    If you can fit the Chupacabra it's an awesome tire. Can't say enough good things about them. I have them on a set of WTB i35's that I use on my Kona Wozo fatbike for late spring/summer/fall here in CO. They are light (especially considering size), roll well, hook up surprisingly well (except when it gets real loose/blown out), and the durability so far in our tire eating terrain has been perfect thus far. Take a look at this thread from last year on 29+ race tires.... 29+ race tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Another vote for Chupas.

mtbr member
    for the true plus range of tire, the Chupas are fast
    If you are really wanting to push speed on a XC style race. I'd drop down to a 2.3-2.4 tire if you can, even though a buddy of mine on 3" Chupas and ridged SS is fast as hell
    Too Many .

turtles make me hot
    Another for Chupacabras.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Chupacabras get the best reviews and look great. I haven't tried them yet. However, for winter riding gravel and snow I use a 2.35 Racing Ralph on rear and a Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3 front. Actual measurement is closer to 2.6 on my 30mm rim and reports are more like 2.8 on even wide i45 rims. The rolling resistance wasn't bad, but not stellar so I took a wire clipper and clipped the middle row of treads down about halfway. Rolling on street and gravel now matches pretty well to the RR rear and I've still got 2 rows each side of corner knobs full height. Works great (butchered version anyway).
    Given that, curious what the Chupa owners think of rolling resistance vs a standard 2.3ish tire known for good rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    The Chupacabras get the best reviews and look great. I haven't tried them yet. However, for winter riding gravel and snow I use a 2.35 Racing Ralph on rear and a Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3 front. Actual measurement is closer to 2.6 on my 30mm rim and reports are more like 2.8 on even wide i45 rims. The rolling resistance wasn't bad, but not stellar so I took a wire clipper and clipped the middle row of treads down about halfway. Rolling on street and gravel now matches pretty well to the RR rear and I've still got 2 rows each side of corner knobs full height. Works great (butchered version anyway).
    Given that, curious what the Chupa owners think of rolling resistance vs a standard 2.3ish tire known for good rolling resistance.
    The Chupa's are fast. It's the #1 3" tire used for XC races here in AZ.
    I have ridden them and a Maxxis DHF/Maxxis Chronicle on my Stache,.
    The maxxis added a full lb to the Stache and the rolling resistance was enough to make your legs cry for a shuttle on flat ground. Chupa's roll pretty well on road. More so with a good amount of air in them. I ran 10psi front 12-13psi rear which sucked on pavement or fire road climbs.

but again. I would run a much smaller tire for XC useage unless I am racing a Plus/Fat tire class.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm going for low rolling resistance/weight. You guys would rather ride a Chupa than a Fat-B-Nimble? It looks like the FNB would ride faster than the Chupa.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    ... I use a 2.35 Racing Ralph on rear and a Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3 front...
    This is what I was thinking about doing, what is the width of your wheels?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    If you are really wanting to push speed on a XC style race. I'd drop down to a 2.3-2.4 tire if you can, even though a buddy of mine on 3" Chupas and ridged SS is fast as hell
    I'm looking for a little more squish out of the tires since I'll be rigid. If there was a 2.4 or 2.6" Racing Ralph, I'd probably just buy that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The teravail tires are out, I forget what it is called but they have a 29x2.6 with a fast rolling flavor.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    The teravail tires are out, I forget what it is called but they have a 29x2.6 with a fast rolling flavor.

I couldn't find the weight of the Teravail Cumberland tire. The only thing I saw was that the 60tpi version is claimed 1165g and measured 1148g. That's a pig esp. for a 2.6" tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm4x4 View Post
    I couldn't find the weight of the Teravail Cumberland tire. The only thing I saw was that the 60tpi version is claimed 1165g and measured 1148g. That's a pig esp. for a 2.6" tire.
    Yeah that's the durable/all mountain one. I would expect to save 150-200 grams for the light, but you may want to email them if it's a big concern.

There's also the maxxis rekon in a 2.6 version. The wtb ranger has been described as fast rolling I believe and is pretty light, but it's a bit bigger... Closer to the chupa

mtbr member
    Pfft. My WTB Dissent 2.5s were ~1400g a piece
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is what I was thinking about doing, what is the width of your wheels?
    I'm using Carbonfan Skyweight wheels that are 30mm outer/24 internal. The FBN 120tpi tire came in about 775 grams new. Pretty great considering my 2.35 RaRa snakeskins are 691. I run the FBN at 15psi, can't go below 10psi on these rims or they get a little squirmy. I just busted out the digital caliper and they are measuring 2 17/32 inches wide so just over 2.5", but the height of the mounted tire is 2 65/128ths, vs the RaRa height of 2 7/32nds. Then I switched to metric (since it doesn't require annoying fraction math) and get 65.1mm height vs 56.5mm. So, you're getting almost 2cm of extra cush vertically from the FBN. They'll weep some sealant in pinholes in sidewalls at first but after that mine have been trouble free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    WTB ranger is very fast. I am running these now. Also i have heard very good things about the Innova transformer pro. that will be my next tire to try out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    WTB Rangers are great but wear quickly. I ran the Innovas, great tire but couldn't get them set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    WTB ranger is very fast. I am running these now. Also i have heard very good things about the Innova transformer pro. that will be my next tire to try out.
    I ran the Innova for about a year as a front. It's a good tire. Tread wear was not an issue, sidewalls will wear down before the tread.

It rolls great considering the knobs you get and the traction. It provided great shock absorption and was never a limiting factor in what I could do.

I ran it with a vee Trax rear, and it was a decent combo.

The Innova would make a good rear of you're more concerned about traction and less about rolling resistance. I don't think it would last long though.

I used it in xc rides on hardpack, loose over hard, and loose/sand.

Pinehurst NC
    Chupa's are great, so fast that I'm 3rd overall at a local gravel loop was beaten only by cycolocross bikes lol, WTB Rangers are fast too, fast wearing though, wasn't a fan of them up front, not as much side grip at all, more wander
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    WTB Rangers are great but wear quickly. I ran the Innovas, great tire but couldn't get them set up tubeless.
    I've also run both, and felt that both were fast. I tried a WTB Trail Boss 3.0 .. the "fast light" or whatever they call it. It was like an anchor in comparison. The Rangers wore faster than the Innovas.

I actually kind of like the wear to a point. As spring progresses and things dry out I get a quicker rolling tire with less tread for summer. BTW, I only race in my head so take my "fast" comments with a grain of salt.