mtbr member
    Oct 2004

25.4 carbon low rise for rigid single speeding?

I ride a monocog flight with a scandium bear bone riser and I'm wondering if a carbon bar would smooth things out a bit. Can I use my hope stem or do carbon bars need carbon stems?

mtbr member
    Hope stem is fine.

Might help a little in terms of smoothing things out, but don't expect a miracle.

S/B lighter, though...

SPP
    Rigid.

ballbuster
    I had a Monocog 29er (2007 model) and I remember that Ritchey bar it came with was crazy rigid. I switched to a carbon bar and it helped a bit. Like SPPete says, don't expect miracles, but it does take some of the buzzy edge off.

You will see more benefit from a big front tire. Find the biggest front tire you can get your hands on, and run it with as little pressure you can get away with.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here's my experence with my 07 XXIX. Switched the stock EA30(31.8) to a EC70(31.8) and noticed no difference. Switched to a smaller 25.4 EC70 and that definitely helped take the sting out of bumps. Bigger tires and lower psi help too and even though it will always be a rigid bike every thing you do to make it more comfortable will help at the end of the ride, especially for an old guy like me.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks. What is the difference between the ec70 and monkey light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will second the vote for larger tire to take away harshness. I recently switched my karate monkey to run a knard 29x3 on the front and man did it make a world of difference. I am running it on a stans flow ex, I know not recommended, at 15psi and the thing feels like a new bike. It is def still rigid but a lot more comfortable to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thing I don't like about big tires is how they're slower getting up to speed.. That's why I'm trying the bars first. I'm running 2.2 captains tubeless and they have some give.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    Thing I don't like about big tires is how they're slower getting up to speed.. That's why I'm trying the bars first. I'm running 2.2 captains tubeless and they have some give.
    Try a Racing Ralph 2.4 up front...

SPP
    Rigid.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    It depends on the casing, tread pattern and rubber compound. Generally, big chunky tread tires roll poorly, but there are exceptions to that as well.

I've been running a WTB Werewolf LT 2.55 up front on my trail bike (geared, suspension) and it's been great. It's not slow rolling, stick reasonably well in hard and loose conditions, and it isn't heavy. 2.55 is pretty optimistic. I have a 2.3 on another bike that is about the same size. I have a WTB Prowler on my singlespeed, but I'm not running rigid anymore anyway.

mtbr member
    second the Racing Ralph 2.4 up front...been running that on my jabber for ever and it really helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ok, I'll check out the racing ralphs next